Author Topic: Driftopia Closed Beta  (Read 4423 times)

John Burning

Cool!
I'm in! :)

RacerBest

Great! I registered, it said "you will soon get Steam key in your email".

Any more info? When is soon? When comes PS3 version? Because my PC won't run this, pretty sure.

John Burning

Just tried that.
RRD is really awesome, I like that! It's really interesting for me!
The one thing is bad: the game is lagging. I don't know why, RRU goes good on my PC, so that's a question.
And you should make the game more loyal to players without money.
Awesome, Bugbear! Come on! I hope it will be popular! :)

Janne Suur-Näkki

RacerBest
Did you get your key? I don't think it should take too long. PS3 beta will start at a later date.

John Burning
Glad you enjoyed the game!
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

RacerBest

Yes I did.. I wish the game had some kind of video settings to lower the quality.. I can't play.  :(

Birddogg66

Lack of Wheel controller support totally unacceptable this was the problem with unbounded and your repeating the same mistakes. While some may like to drift with a KB or GP you have to agree that a wheel is the best option for this style of driving. Until you offer wheel support sorry I cannot help you but there is still time to fix this problem. :o
I have been a member of this forum for over a year why am I still a newbie?

RacerBest

Lack of Wheel controller support totally unacceptable this was the problem with unbounded and your repeating the same mistakes. While some may like to drift with a KB or GP you have to agree that a wheel is the best option for this style of driving. Until you offer wheel support sorry I cannot help you but there is still time to fix this problem. :o
Wheel would be the worst option to play this kind of arcade game.. I can already imagine how hard it would be to control this or Unbounded with wheel. It's made to be played with gamepad.

isamu

No proper ffb wheel support? REALLY!?!?!? LOL, what a joke. This was already only mildy on my radar, but now it's not even close to being on my to get list. My god why did Namco give these guys my beloved franchise?  :-[ :-X :'(

aerocrane

No proper ffb wheel support? REALLY!?!?!? LOL, what a joke. This was already only mildy on my radar, but now it's not even close to being on my to get list. My god why did Namco give these guys my beloved franchise?  :-[ :-X :'(

As RacerBest said, the game is better played on a gamepad. Drifts are initiated by pressing a button instead of the traditional Ridge Racer way of throttle off, turn in, full throttle. The drifting feels more like Burnout than Ridge Racer, and I for sure would not play Burnout with a wheel. I assume you haven't played Ridge Racer Unbounded either, since Driftopia is really just a free to play version of that.

But with posts like this:
It's such a shame to see this franchise go down the toilet :(  :'(
you didn't exactly have a neutral opinion on this game from the start.

Sadly for you and me, Namco believes that free to play is the way of the future. It does work well with some titles though. Tekken Revolution is a free to play game from Namco that actually works quite fine despite of being free to play. I just don't like the stat upgrading from leveling up, but the game was patched to include a mode where the upgrades are disabled. It does suffer a bit from being free to play with quite strict limits on how much you can play if you are not very good at Tekken and lose often when playing online. Maybe Ridge Racer Driftopia will not receive similar amount of support from Namco, it will really depend on if the game will stick. Namco are quite clearly betting on the Ridge Racer name still having enough attraction to make the game profitable.

Maybe free to play future won't work for Namco as well as they are hoping. I certainly don't like the fact that PROJECT ACES are making a free to play Ace Combat game, I'd rather have a proper full release more in the style of the earlier Ace Combat games.
This was quite a bit of a tangent wasn't it?

You should really be playing Outrun or Ridge Racer Type 4 if you want a classic arcade racing game. I know it is not the answer you are looking for, but Outrun 2006 is a pretty good straight up arcade game that works on modern PCs. Really you should be annoyed at Namco for not showing any interest in reviving classic Ridge Racer gameplay.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:15:54 PM by ratchet »
LM-Spec

Joonas Laakso

Neither Ridge Racer game from us was never going to support wheels. There is no point - we've tried them with wheels and they just do not work in an arcade game like these. It's not a matter of being lazy or uncaring. Feel free to disagree, of course, but we believe that this best serves our audience.

isamu

LOL OK if you say so. I suppose the PSP version of Ridge Racer, which is a game that was *obviously* not designed to be played with anything but the PSP analog knob, is not recommended playing with a wheel either 'eh? Well I got news for you...I play it on my home theater on my racing frame with a force feedback wheel all the time, and have NO problems using it to steer and drive the cars. Read the following thread:

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=2865&pid=21605#pid21605

aerocrane

Ridge Racers was probably developed on a older Ridge Racer engine, and it is not like the gameplay in Ridge Racers PSP is fundamentally different from Type 4 or any other numbered titles in the series. The drifting and general car handling in Driftopia and Unbounded is not like the Namco-developed Ridge Racer titles. It is not like the drifting in Type 4 or the on rails style of RR7.

I feel that software emulation is beside the point anyway, since it allows for use of hardware that was never intended to be used with the product, like your racing wheel.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:53:54 PM by ratchet »
LM-Spec

Joonas Laakso

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that in the case of RRD & RRU, it's a decision we made that we're standing by. We love our wheels in games designed for wheels.

isamu

Fair enough.

Out of curiosity, will "The Next Car Game" be designed and optimized for wheel support? Will it support force feedback? That would be cool.