Author Topic: Week #5 Update  (Read 47698 times)

Purple44

Yes, the old timers will refuse online career mode. And I mean dinosaurs, because online career modes are the future. Many many games have online career modes and the most successful are ones where the main story or game takes place in multiplayer or online. And there's always something to be gained or unlocked from online. BUt again, you dinosaurs won't be doing that.

When it come to online, I want a fair race.

With career mode I don't see that happening when players can have a better upgraded car because they are further along in career mode. Also any player coming to Wreckfest a few weeks late after release date, will be at disadvantage to the players that had a head start on career mode. Saw it with GRID 2.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

presuming ed

Exactly as Purple44 says. Not really talking about online career here, but simply the online lobbies, public or private.

Needs to be very similar to how Project Gotham used to do it really. Someone with nothing unlocked does not necessarily have to have the same equipment available to them as someone who's completed the career, but they should have equipment of equivalent performance available to them, so that they can compete.

In most cases,, if PGR was anything to go by, this shouldn't really matter as someone who hasn't gone through the career and learnt to drive the high performance stuff (like someone who's completed the career will have) they won't be used to the performance available to them and will bin it at the first corner anyway.

Frisker

Yes, the old timers will refuse online career mode. And I mean dinosaurs, because online career modes are the future. Many many games have online career modes and the most successful are ones where the main story or game takes place in multiplayer or online. And there's always something to be gained or unlocked from online. BUt again, you dinosaurs won't be doing that.

This may class me as a dinosaur, as I agree. To me career mode is in single player. But I'd love tournament system, or something similar online too. So anything with "progress" should be a few race tournaments.

A long career mode for single player only though, as like many others, I usually enjoy single player more.

i5 2310, 2.9Ghz
GeForce GTX 750 ti, 2Gb
8Gb's RAM

Mopower

Isn't that what class restrictions are for? I could have 10 upgraded cars in my garage and still have a c- class car that's fairly close to a starter's c-class car.

Fisu

I'm quite sure that most fair play racers are playing in high classes and I like to join to those battles. If I have to put my time for grinding money or xp, you can count me out then :/

Happy that BB is again trying to do regular news. Keep it up guys! 20 mins work time in a week = 99% less whining :)
Historic Rally Trophy Finland 2014 winner (co-driver)

Purple44

Isn't that what class restrictions are for? I could have 10 upgraded cars in my garage and still have a c- class car that's fairly close to a starter's c-class car.

But will you go online and race a c-class upgraded car when you have unlock plenty of upgrades to make b-class and a-class cars?

When final version of Wreckfest get release, the guys doing career mode will roughly progress together through the classes. Some faster or slower than others. So at the start, online career mode may workout OK. But the guys late to buying Wreckfest will find not many players doing c-class racing, I think. I don't think you can avoid this taking career mode online.

Now when the expansion pack get release some day, that would give career mode a shot in the arm as players take the new cars and start career mode over.

Bugbear has said career mode online going happen, I'm not sure how well it will work thou. I will leave it to the guys that take career mode seriously to discuss with Bugbear what they want to see in a career offline and online.

Non career multiplayer is what I have my eye on and will do what I can to make sure Bugbear get it right. Which so far they doing a pretty good job with the new hosting options coming in next Build.  :)

sam223

Maybe the degradation will be high. So wrecking a A class in one race will cost you the equivalent of 3 race wins to repair and use again.Whereas a default C class wreck will cost only guaranteed starting money to repair.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Mopower

In forza I would rather drive my c, b, or a class challenger or charger or barracuda than race the super cars. Why is it unreasonable that players won't play their favorite class and favorite cars?

Zebulon55

Supposedly with age comes experience and wisdom, and I'm not closed minded to change. :-\

I never said I wouldn't try career mode online and I may even like it, and since I'm not hardcore about gaming, I won't be too upset if my online career proves detrimental to my offline career.  :'(
Unlocking things online seems fine to me, as long as it doesn't divide the community too much.
I'll never be in the top-tier, professional competitive racing group, so I'll be in the lesser ranks. I'll welcome newbies, I won't get too agitated over someone driving the wrong way or resetting.
It's a game, and should be fun for everyone.

What I meant is that I think a large number of players will love the game in a more casual pick-up-and-play style. They will either not take the career online or not do the career at all.
Not just dinosaurs like me, either.  :P
The game seems quite popular now, although it is at a limited content early stage.
And what tracks seem the most popular now? In my opinion, the easy to drive arcade style play tracks show up most in my server list, which indicates quite a number of players who are not in the vocal majority on this forum that seems to want a clean and fair, realistic simulator experience with handling that requires skill and practice.
Last night, there was a server with "Clean and Fair" in it's name which had a few players, while the rest of us were enjoying some less clean racing elsewhere.  ;D

As for "so much game, so little time", I'm also a backer on Carmageddon Reincarnation, which goes beta February 14th, and I'm still waiting on that zombie DLC for Gas Guzzlers Extreme.
Others are spending time on The Crew and other games as well.
Wreckfest gets most of my limited time for games right now, so I might play the career mode, but I'll never make a career out of it.

/ Also, I like to honk and make my worse air, but my wife says that's impolite. ;D
Dell Inspiron 17 7720 with Nvidia GT650 graphics. Keyboard control.

Lame, I know.

Rabbit80

We know that bugbear is planning on introducing AI to multiplayer races. Given that, I don't see why it should be a problem to match players by ability or class in online career. Even if a race only has 1 or 2 human players, it can still be competitive and not disadvantage new players.
Cooler Master N-Series N500 • MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
i5 4670K • 16GB 1600MHz Kingston HyperX RAM
Aerocool Strike-X 800W PSU
2x Zotac GTX760 SLi
2x 512GB Crucial MX500 SSD (Raid 0) • 2x 2TB Seagate SSHD (Raid 0) • 1x 3TB WD Red
1x Kingston 30GB mSATA SSD (Page file)
xBox 360 Wireless Controller

Purple44

We know that bugbear is planning on introducing AI to multiplayer races. Given that, I don't see why it should be a problem to match players by ability or class in online career. Even if a race only has 1 or 2 human players, it can still be competitive and not disadvantage new players.

In a non career host online, I assume host will get to set how tough the AI will be. In online career, I guess Bugbear will have to set how tough the AI are for each class? The same toughest as AI in career mode offline?

BrianUK

I'm fine with an online career OPTION. I don't want someone just bowling in, wrecking my stuff, then walking off.

CarnageRacing00

Call me crazy but I'd prefer online to be open as far as car type and such. Start restricting players from certain races and you'll see the community severely divided. The game as it is right now is perfectly fun - that will be gone if there is any sort of class system put in place online.

Leave it to the server operators to kick and ban trouble makers. Let's not gate off servers based on career progression.

Conte Zero

When it come to online, I want a fair race.

With career mode I don't see that happening when players can have a better upgraded car because they are further along in career mode. Also any player coming to Wreckfest a few weeks late after release date, will be at disadvantage to the players that had a head start on career mode. Saw it with GRID 2.

I have followed another project while supporting Wreckfest: il2 BoS, a flight sim.
Same problem there, but the devs gave us the possibility to grind and unlock things in singleplayer too, so when you fight online your plane is not disadvantaged in terms of power, weapons and stuff.
May be the solution and make everybody happy?
Saippuakivikauppias

Jori Virtanen

Well, to recap on a few things:

1) The amount of info on the blog.
I did say "much, much more" on the previous blog, and I wrote a page long explanation on certain gameplay elements -- and then I noticed that the blog is too long. Most readers appreciate brevity over detailed explanations, after all -- but I did save what I had written, to be posted on a later date.
(Also, this way, if our plans change, we won't look that much like fools ;) )

2) The tech system
We did several different tech tree variants. One was where we had no tiers, no part limitations, no nothing -- if you had cash, you could buy a part and install it. What we had was a Team Tree, meaning what your mechanics can handle. The better the team, the better the bonuses on various stuff. This would be a system that improves immersion, as that's what happens in real life -- your tech team is what matters, and not just the part. However, this was deemed too cumbersome a mechanism in the end. Just too many moving parts, and harder to assess what really matters in the long run? Instead, we'll go with something simpler. The downside is that it'll probably include more grind, but at least it's simple, it's solid, and more importantly, it'll work for sure. I'll go into detail once we can implement the first iteration into a build, so I can illustrate and not just talk and talk and talk :P

3) Upgrade parts
The upgrade parts will be divided into specific tiers. Usually the rule of thumb is that the bigger the tier, the better the part. But, it's not all there is -- sometimes, say, Tier IV part may give you boosts to a specific performance aspect but lack in others, making it actually worse than a Tier III item in many cases. Why include T4 in the first place, then? Because while it takes time to get to T4, you'll learn how your car behaves. You learn how it functions. And once you reach T4, you know when and where to use that specific part to get an edge. It doesn't make your car a certain winner, but even that small edge can be all you need -- provided you know how to drive :)
The upgrade parts will also have durability, rarity and other aspects that affect how it works.

4) How big is the grind?
Not that big. All cars will be good right from the get go. This ensures that casual drivers can enjoy the game a lot, and if you have time to sink into the game, you can see it in how you drive, so that's all the edge you really need. The parts will just reinforce your preferred playstyle. The performance differences with car parts aren't that big anyway, and we aren't making them bigger just for the sake of it.

5) Unranked mode
As we're gunning for seamless career mode between online and offline playing (meaning you don't have two different careers but just the one, regardless of your online status), we won't open all parts online in ranked games. Unranked, though, now that's another matter! We're planning on creating a toggle that takes your server to Unranked status, meaning that all games you host won't affect anyone's career, XP or money. Instead, every item is available! This will ensure that casual gamers who just want to create a race for a LAN party don't have to worry about careers at all. Just host an Unranked game, and you can setup every car the way you want. This is also the mode you play with all mods, which ensures that mods are a thing of fun and not a way to exploit your way into success in your official career :)

Again, these plans are subject to change, so don't be surprised if we decide to go another way in the end :)
Your friendly neighborhood game designer