Author Topic: So Long!  (Read 21922 times)

chuckskyline

this is moot..

but not lead production.

My name is Joonas Laakso. I work as a producer at Bugbear. I've been here for a little over four years now. Making games is pretty sweet!

I blog at Dusty Gamer and you can find me on Twitter at @jlaakso.

In addition to making games, I write (currently working on a comic book and a scifi novel), play with miniatures (Blood Bowl!), play a little guitar and especially play roleplaying games (all of them, really). I'm very much involved in volunteer youth work, running a game development club in Helsinki and holding lectures and courses in schools. It's a great time to be into games.

so yeah.. Joonas was apart of bb for a long time.. and he left.

hande11

Thanks Jori for everything!

Guys don't forget, the fact that BB was willing to tackle both a total engine overhaul AND a total physics overhaul strongly suggests they're pretty confident they have the ability to do so. You don't just scrap what you already have if it's too risky ;) Also this isn't their first time to the rodeo :P

Fully agree. BB could have been taking the shortcut already earlier and just wrapped up the game calling it "ready" with current version of engine (it's already that good) adding only few tracks,  simple "campaign", couple of tweaks and pushing after that some DLC's to pay for (what did not make to finalized full game build). Knowing Bugbear has such a good track-record, respect and very potential (proven with very wide NCG/Wreckfest early access interest) future opportunities on sequels and spin-offs using same ROMU-engine (next time it's easier to re-utilize same ROMU-engine, no need to reinvent whole wheel again), it would be just stupid to scrap game completely on this phase and terminate all future business opportunities, right?

Hope BB continues to tackle these due-to-delay doubts (like Jori you did so well) and fetches regular, simple, over-the-shoulder stories and pics of the staff working. BB has risen the bar much higher than average publisher would have dared and each truly great projects has always some difficulties along on the path.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:32:22 PM by hande11 »
i5 2500K, 8GB RAMDDR3 1600, Win7 64-bit
GTX 560 DCII TOP, 1GB GDDR5, Controller: keyboard (current generic powersliding biased test setup)
Elwood: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration.. don't fail me now!"

Mopower

Oh chucky chucky chucky... you're posts are always entertaining :P

Sorry, it was a 30 man team when Joonas was still attached to the team.. then 24, and now 23. I'm guessing?

So during the development of the game, they have lost their lead production guy and community manager Joonas, and now a designer in Jori who relayed a lot of the community input to the main dev team.

Tero shows up every once in awhile.

If it were not for Jori, we would have no information on what is going on with this game, and even he has been tight lipped about it.. other than its taking forever..

Maybe this game isn't dead? but it seems to be on life support.
and now the community will not have any input to this game since who is going to rely those messages to the dev team? The only other person I've see here is Tero.

Not to mention it seems Bugbear is bleeding staff members.. and the -now hiring- has been there since development has begun.

So.. uh.. entertaining? slightly tin-foil hat..

but uh.. until bugbear actually releases something, or puts a new community manager in place.. things seem a little dire.
Lol you first posted that they were a 60 man team. You were off by a lot. Me thinks your word is all entirely opinion based. In fact,I know it is.

Hope you're having a wonderful day!
i like to honk to make my worse air
This is why we can't have nice things.

The Very End

So... no more updates for us then... fuck  :-[
Will miss you Jori!

chuckskyline

Sorry, it was a 30 man team when Joonas was still attached to the team.. then 24, and now 23. I'm guessing?

So during the development of the game, they have lost their lead production guy and community manager Joonas, and now a designer in Jori who relayed a lot of the community input to the main dev team.

If it were not for Jori, we would have no information on what is going on with this game, and even he has been tight lipped about it.. other than its taking forever..

and now the community will not have any input to this game since who is going to rely those messages to the dev team? The only other person I've see here is Tero.

Not to mention it seems Bugbear is bleeding staff members.. and the -now hiring- has been there since development has begun.

but uh.. until bugbear actually releases something, or puts a new community manager in place.. things seem a little dire.
Lol you first posted that they were a 60 man team. You were off by a lot. Me thinks your word is all entirely opinion based. In fact,I know it is.

Hope you're having a wonderful day!

For some reason I thought it was a 60 man team, you can even track my posts from the beginning and I asked when Joonas was apart of team if it was 60.. he then said 30. Which is were that 30 number came from... soo yeah. For some reason that 60 has stuck in my head. (btw that post was from 2013)

Here. i'll quote it.
They are a small team (60 right?) who is releasing them gave by themselves..

30 guys, and you've covered just about all the sides to it, except that Steam also gives us very good tools to handle user generated content and online functionality. And yes, having just one build to keep updated would be ideal, but that's not the whole of it. We are looking at all the arguments.

So yeah.. that 60 has been stuck in my head for 2 years now.

Again.. yes, they are my opinions but uh.. until BB show us wrong and hired a new community manager.. and I remember hearing Jori saying recently that it was 24 people. (he has a lot of posts and I can't find it)

Anyway.. the lack of updates, from 30-24 people, Jori the only one (and sometimes tero) letting us know what is going on.. you can come to your own conclusions.

Edit: Also Tero's last post was April 23rd.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 06:56:01 PM by chuckskyline »

lobsterfran

Ask anyone in a software company how many developers they have, they'll usually round it up to the nearest 10.

I used to work for a software house which always claimed to have 40 - 50 staff. Not once in the 14 years I was there did they ever have anywhere near 50.

Basically, the 30 was probably a bit of a fib. the 24 (given how specific it is) was probably the real number all along.

St. Jimmy

Thanks for your time! Sometimes these things need to happen and man has to move.
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Scruxx

Bye Jori, all good for the future!

And R.I.P Steam Forum ^^

Kamikave

No, no, no, who are we going to discuss with ?!! Ask for another year !! If not, well, good luck to you ! You were, no, you are the best community manager I've known (no offense to the others here ^^')
Operating System: Windows 7 Professionnel 64-bit
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 Go
Sound Device : Creative SB X-Fi

Cono

All the best!

This will arouse questions:

1. Will this affect to the project?
2. How about weekly reports?
3. Is Bugbear in crisis?

Purple44

Seems strange they aren't renewing your contract,considering the game is still no where near finished. As others have said,who will keep us informed now? with you being the only consistently active developer....
Farewell.

Good luck Jori, you will be miss here in the forum helping keep the communication lines open between Bugbear and the fans. Sorry to see you go.  :'(

Does seem strange Bugbear only had a one year contact with Jori since Bugbear plans to be making games for years down the road. Unless Jori the one that only wanted a one year contact.

Having to break in a new community manager every year after we just gotten to know the last one well, I think is hard on the community. :(

Would be a bad time for Bugbear to go quiet now with what been going on with getting Build #7 out the door.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Zebulon55

Thanks Jori, and good luck in the future!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

le glaude

It's never a good news when someone is leaving.
I have a bad feeling.
Cpu: 4770K @ 4.4ghz
MB: ASrock Z87 Extreme 4
GC: XFX R9 295X2 + Sapphire R9 290 TriX OC
Ram: Gskill Sniper 2X4go cas 8
Psu: SEASONIC 1250W 80+ Gold
SSD: Samsung 256Go 840 EVO

Usmovers_02

You're making a lot of assumptions. I don't think BB keeps us up to date on all their hirings ;) Most deveopment teams grow and shrink over the course of a games production. Also who says Jori is the only person who can talk to us? Who says they're not gonna have somebody else do the job now? Jori wasn't always the guy. It was Jonaas before and we barely heard from Jori.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:23:01 PM by Usmovers_02 »
Kyitties and Kars :D

More on my deviantart page: http://usmovers02.deviantart.com/art/Hello-Kitty-v4-420432700