Author Topic: Lighted tracks  (Read 2020 times)

Daystar

Would like to see day/night cycles... and of course tracks that have lighting around them.
perhaps to late in this build that is being worked on... but sometime later. I do notice lights
in some tracks already but mostly in staging areas. and derby also. just an idea guys.

Usmovers_02

I would LOVE racing under the lights but if my memory serves me this has already been confirmed not to be in the game. Doing the lighting on par with the graphic fidelity they're going for would not only be a large undertaking but it would be a huge resource hog for your computer. Racing under the lights in Project Cars is totally one of my favorite things to do though :D

Mopower

I would also love this. Last game I played was NASCAR 2004 with lit tracks that made you feel like you were actually driving at night. Would love to do it again.
Mopower, May 10, 2015, 09:00:40 AM Logged

• ThomasMink

If there are things like short heat races and such, plus a longer main event kinda thing all at the same track for certain types of events... I'd love to see something like this, where the time of day changes between races.
    Mink's YouTube
    ----------
    My aged PC: AMD FX-6200 (3.8 GHz), 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 560, Win7 64-bit
    Oh.. and keyboard control

Aerotactics

I would LOVE racing under the lights but if my memory serves me this has already been confirmed not to be in the game. Doing the lighting on par with the graphic fidelity they're going for would not only be a large undertaking but it would be a huge resource hog for your computer. Racing under the lights in Project Cars is totally one of my favorite things to do though :D

I say do what Bethesda did with their lights: Some lights cast shadows, some don't.

Majatek

A little birdy told me that the developers are going to be swapping from the standard phong shader to physically based rendering, so better detailed textures, lights and reflections can be speculated to come along.

Take this as nothing but a rumour though for now. They've been hinting at upgrading the graphics engine for quite some time now. ;)
    YouTube - Twitter

Having problems with purchasing NCG? Contact support@bugbear.fi

I moderate forums & break games

Serenya

A little birdy told me that the developers are going to be swapping from the standard phong shader to physically based rendering, so better detailed textures, lights and reflections can be speculated to come along.

Take this as nothing but a rumour though for now. They've been hinting at upgrading the graphics engine for quite some time now. ;)

Considering that this game likely won't be finished this year, they could upgrade the graphics engine directly to support DX12 which is going to be out later this year with Windows 10, and keep the DX9 as a legacy option. I don't know what's the availability of the DX12 developing tools at the moment, but it would be very nice to have the support in the final release since DX12 is going to be an almost console level API and therefore those complex lighting effects should be remarkably lighter to handle for the PC. For those who don't have DX12 compatible graphics card, there could be an option to use static shadows or then turn them completely off what's already possible.
    System: i7-4790K | Asus Z97-Deluxe (USB 3.1) | G. Skill Ares 16 GB 2133 DDR3 | Asus Strix GTX 970 | 840 EVO (500 GB) | Win 7 64-bit
    Input: Logitech G402 | Corsair Vengeance K70
    Output: Dell U2515H | Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II | SteelSeries Siberia Elite, Koss PortaPro 2.0 & Superlux HD681 EVO

Usmovers_02

I would kill for DX12.

Purple44

Considering that this game likely won't be finished this year, they could upgrade the graphics engine directly to support DX12 which is going to be out later this year with Windows 10, and keep the DX9 as a legacy option. I don't know what's the availability of the DX12 developing tools at the moment, but it would be very nice to have the support in the final release since DX12 is going to be an almost console level API and therefore those complex lighting effects should be remarkably lighter to handle for the PC. For those who don't have DX12 compatible graphics card, there could be an option to use static shadows or then turn them completely off what's already possible.

With the delays Bugbear been dealing with since last year, I think Bugbear will pass on Directx 12 for now. Their plate pretty full now. If bought a new video card in the last 3 years, odds are it will be Dx12 capable:

DX12 & Wreckfest

DirectX 12 Support Status
                    ....................   Current Status    Supported At Launch
    AMD GCN 1.2 (285)    ................Working    Yes
    AMD GCN 1.1 (290/260 Series)    Working    Yes
    AMD GCN 1.0 (7000/200 Series)    Buggy    Yes
    NVIDIA Maxwell 2 (900 Series)    Working    Yes
    NVIDIA Maxwell 1 (750 Series)    Working    Yes
    NVIDIA Kepler (600/700 Series)    Working    Yes
    NVIDIA Fermi (400/500 Series)    Not Active    Yes
    Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Serenya

That's true that many graphics cards today have at least partial support for DX12, but there are different feature levels and only the newest cards have full support for it. I don't know what's possible with different feature levels and what's not, but I do think they are compatible with each other, i.e. if you have a full DX12 support in your game but your graphics card can only handle a certain feature level, those features supported will be available and the rest won't, but the game works fine anyway.

I honestly don't know how much work it would be to upgrade to DX12, but if Bugbear are going to upgrade the engine anyway, I wonder if it's DX11 or 12 or neither of these.
    System: i7-4790K | Asus Z97-Deluxe (USB 3.1) | G. Skill Ares 16 GB 2133 DDR3 | Asus Strix GTX 970 | 840 EVO (500 GB) | Win 7 64-bit
    Input: Logitech G402 | Corsair Vengeance K70
    Output: Dell U2515H | Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II | SteelSeries Siberia Elite, Koss PortaPro 2.0 & Superlux HD681 EVO