Author Topic: Some tips from gamer to devs  (Read 3023 times)

K2Core

I was playing driftopia from start of closed beta, so I think it's time to give some tips to developers.

The biggest problem is bad system of giving player a cars. It's just too hard to get any car. Yeah on start player have 3 cars. Yeah 2 of them are faster and it's ok. But someone who play Ridge Racer for first time will crash that cars and run out of tools. So then he get a replacement car. And here's the problem. This car is just too slow to win with it any car. Lvl up challange? Nope, with this car it's even mathematically impossible. Time challenge? Also impossible [last time  I made perfect run, for 95% time my car had maximum speed and 3/4 of track was made with boost. And what then? I was to slow. 15 SECONDS... To tier III.... So I think that even if I would drive all the time with maximum speed and boost i couldn't get to tier III]

The only way to get a new car while driving with replacement is lvl-ing it up to something like 5-6 lvl. Then you can take someone in challange. But it kills flow from game. Why? Daily you get 50 tools. To lvl-up your car you have to win 5-6 races. After 5-6 races it's IMPOSSIBLE to still have even 10 tools. Even if you are best driver in world - Bugs like "I'm uber flying car, because i touch an obstacle, wooohooooyeahhhhhhh" will take all your tools. So you stay with car on lvl 2 and no remaining tools. What you do? You shutdown game. Why? Because you don't want to lose your only car and start everything from beginning.

It kill the most important thing in f2p games - uninterrupted progress. When you are bad - you progress slowly. If you are good or buy things for real money - you progress faster. Giving player a Stop signal with the words "PAY OR GO AWAY/START EVERYTHING FROM BEGINNING" isn't a good way to make people play game or even spend money on it. Microtransactions should never be forced. They should tempt a player. Good reaction to a f2p game shouldn't look like this:
 "AHhhhh, so they want me to pay or i will lost everything? F**k this game, I go play N**: World, when I still progress without any problems" = -5 players [that guy will tell freinds that this game is a shit and he will stick to n**: world]

, but should look like this

"Ahhhh... Oh.... This new car is so eeeeepiiicccc.... But if I won't pay, I have to play a next 2 weeks to get it.... All my friends have it on lvl5 already and I even don't have this car... Oh, John beat my spirit record with this car... F**k this - think young Adam. Mum, can you give me your credit card, please? = +3$ to devs

The second problem is that mans with good cars are earing them more, and people with bad cars can't earn more. Becuase people that won good cars will take the time limits on time challange higher and earn next fast cars, when people with bad cars can't beat them.

The only way to repair that things is to give players something like 15 tools for a finishing in top 4 of the race, so won race on track that we love = one try on that motherfu**** track where I can't get that one turn. I know that sometimes we get them from cards, but it's to rarely to have a smooth flow in game.

The other nice option would be giving a player a car shop where you could buy a new car cards with tools, and sell your cars [yes i know that we can do it now] and that booster cards. Then you could add level editor, where some of decorations and enviroment could be bought with real money and some with making freaky achivments. Then you could add something like challange and friend system [I throw at you my brand new track. I bet 200 tools that you can't beat my time on it] and track earnings [Your track finished 120 persons and 50 people aborted it, here you have 50 tools]. But it's not all, that system can be even better. You could add something like master of track. When you made a track and someone beat your time at it, all earnings from this track are coming to him, but after a one day you can modify this track, so you could beat his time. Thta system would be really nice. You made a straight track, where someone beat you with car that have uber boost, but you don't have skills to drive his rocket? After a one day you can add some turns in a track, so you with your tokyo drift car beat his time without any problem. Let's see how good this man would be in your car and in your style.

This thing sounds great and from programming part it isn't too hard to do. Just take a unbounded track editor, add to it some things, make a length measurement, so in "creator vs track masters" wouldn't be cheating like "i justy delted half of a track and made it faster than you" and that's all.

Everything at the and sweeten with steam trading. And you have f2p racing game that will kill n**:world and will survive next gen racing games [need for speed rivals and the crew]

If Bugbear can't do anything about first part of this post [microtransactions, ble, ble, ble] becuase all the cash things are associated with Namco, please someone from Bugbear show them that this microtransaction system will kill game in next one, max two months. It event won't end closed beta. And this microtransactions won't harm Namco, becuase it's big corporation and one bad game won't kill them, but you Bugbear will.. When your next car game will arive, people will talk something like "ohhh, this looks cute... But Bugbear only go for money, so I will stay here and look that it will be better than The Crew". It's sad thing, but games in public opinion are associated with developers, not publishers.

I think that's all. If someone from Bugbear will read this post I'm happy to see his reaction here ;]

deadmoroz14

Time challenge? Also impossible [last time  I made perfect run, for 95% time my car had maximum speed and 3/4 of track was made with boost. And what then? I was to slow. 15 SECONDS... To tier III.... So I think that even if I would drive all the time with maximum speed and boost i couldn't get to tier III]
Actually, that's possible. I finished in tier 2 or 3 couple of times using lvl 1 grover. But it was waaay too hardcore. It was the only moment in game when I wasn't worrying about my car, I could put pedal to the metal. And if I will wreck my car game gifts me another. Good old time attack without "omg I need to save my car"

You didn't mention another problem: If you scored high results in leaderboards on all tracks and then lost all of your cars there is no way to catch your race opponents with slowpoke-like grover.

And I agree about giving more repair kits. Give them as a participating reward in timed challenge. Or give 1 repair kit for the last place (2 for 7th, 3 for 6th and so on) in a race
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:57:14 PM by deadmoroz14 »
SANDBAGGER

i5-3570k
16GB RAM
AMD HD7950

Speedevil

I think the transactions system will kill the game early too. I think buying random cars with repair kits is a good idea: if you spend more repair kits, you can get a better car.

But now, everything is free. "Buy" a 30$ cards pack and you will get a great car.

K2Core

Time challenge? Also impossible [last time  I made perfect run, for 95% time my car had maximum speed and 3/4 of track was made with boost. And what then? I was to slow. 15 SECONDS... To tier III.... So I think that even if I would drive all the time with maximum speed and boost i couldn't get to tier III]
Actually, that's possible. I finished in tier 2 or 3 couple of times using lvl 1 grover. But it was waaay too hardcore. It was the only moment in game when I wasn't worrying about my car, I could put pedal to the metal. And if I will wreck my car game gifts me another. Good old time attack without "omg I need to save my car"
Gratz! I need to meet you my master :D I think that you just get luck, when some guys with epic cars don't pushed that times to the limits ;]

Giving tools for last place - it just sounds good , but in-game some guys will just farm tools without any effort. I think that the best option would be giving keys for destroying spirits car [for guys who prefer to to ride slowly and aggresive] and destroying enviroment/shortcuts [for guys who preffer to finish 1st] :]

I also didn't mentioned one thing. On small monitors like mine ["18.5] on dark tracks i don't see that there is a corner of building or 90°. It would be nice if they could add some bright stand-out blue neons sometimes on a track so people with smaller screen would see track better.

But now, everything is free.
And impossible to get :P

deadmoroz14

Gratz! I need to meet you my master :D I think that you just get luck, when some guys with epic cars don't pushed that times to the limits ;]
Thx) Yeah, I was riding at night (02:00 AM) so there were not so many opponents and on the right track.
SANDBAGGER

i5-3570k
16GB RAM
AMD HD7950

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. The greatest benefit of having a beta period is getting detailed thoughtful feedback like this. Game development cycles are mostly pretty long, and no matter how analytical you try to be, it's all too easy to become blind to certain flaws in the grand scheme of things. I will not comment on everything, but I can promise that we're taking all feedback into account when looking for ways to improve the game.

As first-aid, we added two common cars to the daily free pack (they're the same ones you receive in the beginning, actually) - this means that you're not doomed to race with the backup car for the rest of your life, and that should you keep on playing the game daily (you get the cars even if you already have them), you might eventually have extra cars to sell for repair kits.

Other than that, we currently have a new feature in the works that we think will at least somewhat alleviate the situation: individual leaderboards for each car rarity. This means that even if you wreck all your faster cars and have to race with a common car, you will be facing the players on the common car leaderboard, not those on the higher rarity leaderboard into which you posted a time with the faster car. This in turn means that you will have a better chance at making it into top three and being awarded rewards. Best times will still be tracked on the global leaderboard.

One problem we also have is the fact that especially when racing with the faster cars (rare, mythic), it's all too easy to crash due to the car landing in an erratic manner or being wrecked by the insurmountable spirits. This was not intentional from our part, and we're looking for a way to make sure the player can concentrate on posting killer times on the leaderboards, not whether the car will be wrecked when overtaking spirits or taking the next jump. I feel wrecking the car by your own mistake and suffering the consequences is bearable (it is justified, after all), but crashing due to glitches or overly aggressive spirits is just discouraging.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

K2Core

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. The greatest benefit of having a beta period is getting detailed thoughtful feedback like this.
We are for it here :]

As first-aid, we added two common cars to the daily free pack
That's my boy :D

individual leaderboards for each car rarity
And now I love you :*** xoxo

being wrecked by the insurmountable spirits
Uhhh, yes, this is really big problem, and I think some guys from Bugbear are now coding AI scripts. Peace to their souls...                 ;]

deadmoroz14

Thanks a lot for fixes!
SANDBAGGER

i5-3570k
16GB RAM
AMD HD7950

Janne Suur-Näkki

More changes: the repair costs have been lowered quite considerably, and as of now, repairing even a mythic car costs only eight repair kits. Unfortunately the change will take effect only for cars that are newly transferred into the inventory, i.e. repairing the cars that you currently have in the inventory will still cost the previous amount unless you return the car to the inventory and then reassign it to a slot.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

lokitrixter

One of the things I stated in the Feedback email that was sent was if you completely total a car and don't have any repair kits the car should lose one level and then be unavailable for racing for a period of 24 hours. This way you don't lose a car and you can keep playing, knowing that the car will come back to you. It is possible to win races with the backup car as well as challenges, although for challenge I believe I had to level up twice before I could win.

It is nice to see drifting was tweaked, because even though this is Ridge Racer the amount of overdrifting was insane. Also I believe it's on the Wheels of Mayhem track, but there's one point when about 75-90% of the time when your car lands near the end of the race it will flip and spin end over end. Fortunately you don't total the car, unfortunately you can lose time and be passed by other drivers.

Speedevil

More changes: the repair costs have been lowered quite considerably, and as of now, repairing even a mythic car costs only eight repair kits. Unfortunately the change will take effect only for cars that are newly transferred into the inventory, i.e. repairing the cars that you currently have in the inventory will still cost the previous amount unless you return the car to the inventory and then reassign it to a slot.

This is great!  :)

Palkora

Glad the repair costs got lowered, less harsh on players now so thank you. Although to be honest I personally think the repair kit system should just be replaced with an in game currency for purchases and let players race freely.

Also can't wait for the individual leaderboards it will make racing a little more fair. I was actually lucky enough to get a Shindo TT after having nothing but the backup car currently.

Also the Shindo Crimson could do with a retune its really hard to handle, like insanely hard. Losing speed in a corner or while drifting will make the car act like it has no grip when trying to accelerate.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 06:02:18 PM by Palkora »

Purple44

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. The greatest benefit of having a beta period is getting detailed thoughtful feedback like this. Game development cycles are mostly pretty long, and no matter how analytical you try to be, it's all too easy to become blind to certain flaws in the grand scheme of things. I will not comment on everything, but I can promise that we're taking all feedback into account when looking for ways to improve the game.

I hope Bugbear will use the beta process for the NCG too. Let community have a go at it and tell ya what you got right and what may need fixing.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel