Author Topic: Poor Performance on good Hardware  (Read 2717 times)

II-WalkerGer-II

Hi everybody,

i have some technical issues with the game. the performance on my pc is particularly bad, but i dont know why. i get about 25-35 fps, and thats not what i expect with my gpu. i have a gtx 980 gpu alongside with the amd fx 6300. yes, i know that this cpu isnt an adequate solution for that pretty gpu, but thats not the problem! using msi afterburner i can see a gpu usage of around 60% @1440p (same issues @1080p), the processor just uses around 50% (@4.4ghz oc) of its full potential. so there is clearly some headroom in performance that doesnt get used. anyone know why or what's the problem?
i´m running windows 8.1

thx
WalkerGer
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 01:59:54 PM by II-WalkerGer-II »
Think like a Proton!

My Rig:
Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980
AMD FX 6300 @ 4.2Ghz (custom cooler)
16GB RAM - Windows 10

Purple44

Do you have v-sync turn off?

Some have seen their FPS cap by v-sync.

Are you forcing any Anti-Aliasing outside of Wreckfest? That can cause problems.

Do you see just low FPS on tarmac track or all tracks?

The lowest fps I've ever seen on Wreckfest on my pc is 30 fps. And the only map I've seen it drop below 60 is Tarmac. (everything on max, always 24 ai)

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.4 (liquid cooled)
16GB of ram
GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H motherboard

and my baby

the EVGA 04G-P4-3988-KR GeForce GTX 980
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

II-WalkerGer-II

thanks for the fast response! :)
Vsync is of course turned off^^ 8) :D
and i have low fps on all tracks.
disabling external aa in the nvidia control panel did also not help
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:22:41 PM by II-WalkerGer-II »
Think like a Proton!

My Rig:
16GB RAM - Windows 10

Usmovers_02

The current engine isn't the most up to date version and I believe they are still working on further optimizations. I too am hoping for increased performance by launch. Interestingly I have a worse card than you (GTX 760) but a better CPU (AMD 8350) and get substantially higher FPS (Min 30 Max 60).

Purple44

WalkerGer, are you using the newest Nvidia drivers? If so might try an older version of video card drivers.

Updating video drivers can cause problems with Wreckfest:

Problem: Always massive lag
ISSUE
As topic says, I got massive lag no matter what I do, both singleplayer and multiplayer...

DESCRIPTION
I'm running lowest graphic settings, I've tried playing without any opponents and without my g27 steering wheel. I still get these lags where the game feels my steering 0.5-2 seconds late and sometimes I get this, which we can compare with watching a scratched dvd, it hacks forward... These lags started coming after the multiplayer update, before that it ran smooth as silk on highest graphic, 24 bots and with my steeringwheel...

I'll just leave this here:
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Ram: DDR3 8Gb

SCREENSHOT/VIDEO
Would love to show a video but I get around 3-4 fps when recording so not much to see there...

Solution:
Try reverting a few drivers back.
Has helped people in the past with the same type of issue.

Thank you! Works perfect again, had to revert to drivers from May...

Problem: Can't Launch Game - FRESH INSTALL

Solution:
Well we running out of options. :(

How about video drivers. You using the the latest AMD video drivers? If so, maybe roll back video drivers to an older version.

Updating video drivers can cause problems with Wreckfest:

Problem: Always massive lag
ISSUE
As topic says, I got massive lag no matter what I do, both singleplayer and multiplayer...

DESCRIPTION
I'm running lowest graphic settings, I've tried playing without any opponents and without my g27 steering wheel. I still get these lags where the game feels my steering 0.5-2 seconds late and sometimes I get this, which we can compare with watching a scratched dvd, it hacks forward... These lags started coming after the multiplayer update, before that it ran smooth as silk on highest graphic, 24 bots and with my steeringwheel...

I'll just leave this here:
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Ram: DDR3 8Gb

SCREENSHOT/VIDEO
Would love to show a video but I get around 3-4 fps when recording so not much to see there...

Solution:
Try reverting a few drivers back.
Has helped people in the past with the same type of issue.

Thank you! Works perfect again, had to revert to drivers from May...

When you do a search for 228380 now, do you see the /228380 folder under Steam folder?

You got it! I downgraded from the current driver (AMD Catalyst Omega v.14.12) to an older driver (AMD Catalyst v.14.11.2 Beta) and that solved the problem!
I now have the userdata folder 228380 now that the game is running as well.
Thank you for your help and patience, and I'll see you in game. :)

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Serenya

Your CPU might still be the reason behind the poor performance, since I think Wreckfest doesn't utilize all the six cores in your FX. AMD's processors generally have a poor single-core performance, and obviously this game is CPU-heavy. Therefore your GPU isn't fully utilized either since it has nothing to do all the time when your CPU is calculating things slower.

That said I've noticed months ago that the game surprisingly ran better on my brother's FX-4100 and GTX 560 than before the latest update, and my system (i5-4670K and GTX 770) ran it slower than before the update. So lower-end systems got some performance gain when higher-end systems lost some.
System: i7-4790K | Asus Z97-Deluxe (USB 3.1) | G. Skill Ares 16 GB 2133 DDR3 | Asus Strix GTX 970 | 840 EVO (500 GB) | Win 7 64-bit
Input: Logitech G402 | Corsair Vengeance K70
Output: Dell U2515H | Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II | SteelSeries Siberia Elite, Koss PortaPro 2.0 & Superlux HD681 EVO

II-WalkerGer-II

changing the drivers did not help, so i think i´m stuck with that processor, like serenya said...
thanks for all your help though  8)
Think like a Proton!

My Rig:
16GB RAM - Windows 10

WorldofBay

you could check the core usage to be sure. even the default windows taskmanager can do this.
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 660ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Keyboard racer inside!

Quote from: Roy
i laugh everytime i see somebody pulling on WorldofBay to overtake clean.
biggest mistake ever.

Quote from: sam223
Poor planning is a big problem for a lot of EA titles
like fifa, simcity, battlefield, ...

II-WalkerGer-II

thats pretty interesting... seems like amd´s cores (more but weaker) are really not optimised for most games, including wreckfest. in the screenshot in the top left corner you can see that the usage of three cores is around 60-70% while the remaining three get only 30-40% usage. Strange, but that was to be expected. Also in the screenshot you can see the framerate of 34 at this moment (more than average) and the gpu usage of 66% while playing in 1440p, for those not familiar with the afterburner overlay. So the shown average of around 50% really does not represent the performance of my cpu, which seems to be the bottleneck  :-[

screenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4_fAljXpdrCYXRGRGpaUzZIUUU/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 02:13:12 AM by II-WalkerGer-II »
Think like a Proton!

My Rig:
16GB RAM - Windows 10

St. Jimmy

If you don't have any kind of vsync on and you get low GPU usage when the fps is low, there's some bottleneck in CPU or some other part in the computer (power savings are on or fragged HDD, not enough memory etc.). The GPU doesn't get full usage because CPU can't feed it enough.
Don't look too much about the CPU usage when you've multiple cores and threads unless the total is actually very high like 90-100% for all the cores/threads, because most of the engines don't use much other than the first 2 to 4 cores and other ones and threads are there just to help.

thats pretty interesting... seems like amd´s cores (more but weaker) are really not optimised for most games, including wreckfest. in the screenshot in the top left corner you can see that the usage of three cores is around 60-70% while the remaining three get only 30-40% usage. Strange, but that was to be expected. Also in the screenshot you can see the framerate of 34 at this moment (more than average) and the gpu usage of 66% while playing in 1440p, for those not familiar with the afterburner overlay. So the shown average of around 50% really does not represent the performance of my cpu, which seems to be the bottleneck  :-[

screenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4_fAljXpdrCYXRGRGpaUzZIUUU/view?usp=sharing
Those usages are like I'd expect it them to be, 50% total if I see right. I get with my i7 around usually 25%-35% Total CPU Usage and taking account that you've 6 "cores" and I've 8 "cores" ("" because those aren't technically true) so we are pretty much on the same level. But that doesn't mean that you should get that bad performance and that the CPU is bottlenecking the system that much. I'm getting easily full GPU usage with GTX970 in WreckFest all the time.

About the drivers, I recommend trying 350.12 or 344.75.

//
And you seem to be familiar with MSI Afterburner so I recommend to really use it and learn how GPU and CPU usage are related to the fps you're getting in games. When you know it you can find if there's maybe a video setting or something that's the bottleneck. You can try it with WreckFest like this:
- Every video setting as low as possible (you can keep the resolution)
- Enable and disable different video setting one by one to see how the fps and GPU usage is acting.
- When you get full usage (95-100%) it means that your fps isn't CPU bottlenecked. When it gets lower your fps is CPU bottlenecked. I don't ever get under full GPU usage in WreckFest even when my graphics are on the lowest so it's always about how much the GPU can handle (so I could always get better fps with better GPU even when the fps is something like 150).
- If/when you don't get full GPU usage then the CPU is somehow bottlenecking the fps.
- CPU usage generally only means how well (or badly) the game engine is using the CPU resources. For 4 core systems you can expect easily over 50% total usage in many games but with more core and thread CPUs it just gets lower the more cores and threads you've because many games are optimized only for 2-4 cores. DX12 can change this a bit in the future.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 05:22:02 PM by St. Jimmy »
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

II-WalkerGer-II

Thanks for the late answer, but my issue has een resolved in build #7 with 64bit support. Now everything is running fine  :)
Think like a Proton!

My Rig:
16GB RAM - Windows 10