Author Topic: How to host LAN with 2 computers.  (Read 6536 times)

Purple44

I was ask by Conte Zero how to host a LAN party and if he needed to buy more copies of Wreckfest. So I did some testing with my 2 copies of Wreckfest to refresh my memory on how LAN mode works with Wreckfest and Steam:

"Hi, I bought a second copy of Wreckfest for my second computer and I also use my second, old Steam account to buy game. Had no problem setting up LAN between the 2 computers since they talk to each other already.

I'm not sure how it work if you just have 1 Steam account. Will Steam let you have 2 Wreckfest in one account?

Did a Google search and seem Steam will only let you have one copy of a game. So to do LAN with a second computer, will need a second Steam account with Wreckfest bought for the second Steam account.

Also I just did some testing of LAN mode, to remember how it works. If Steam is log in online and you start a LAN host, players online will see your host listed under the online tab. I started a LAN host and was getting other players joining my host beside my second computer!!

Need to put host computer Steam account into offline mode ( click Steam at top left of Steam window > click Go OFFline ), then startup Wreckfest> go multiplayer > go create host. Second computer, with a different Steam account, need to log into Steam in offline mode too ( if in online Steam mode, LAN host will not show in list ), start Wreckfest, go multiplayer > click LAN tab, click on LAN host in list > click JOIN."

Now if you are throwing a LAN party with say 12 computers, all 12 computers will need to have a different Steam account that has legit copy of Wreckfest in Steam library and have Steam running in offline mode, but all computers still connected to the LAN.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 10:14:04 PM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

dgrams2003

Well....
Might have to disagree with you on this from my experiences.
You don't really get into detail about playing in 'steam/offline' mode.  I only own one copy of the game under my account.  I've had LAN play working on two computers already.  (Can't say I really tried this for more than one evening... because two cars just really are not that fun)
But I've done it.  Actually it may have been 3 machines.  I can't remember the exact details. 
Definitely could not do online play with one steam account... but I had LAN going just fine.
PC Specs: AMD Athlon(tm) X4 740 Quad Core Processor 3.2 GHz - AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
 - 8.00 GB RAM - Windows 7 64 Bit - Xbox 360 Controller and Thrustmaster FERRARI Red Legend Racing Wheel

Conte Zero

Well....
Might have to disagree with you on this from my experiences.
You don't really get into detail about playing in 'steam/offline' mode.  I only own one copy of the game under my account.  I've had LAN play working on two computers already.  (Can't say I really tried this for more than one evening... because two cars just really are not that fun)
But I've done it.  Actually it may have been 3 machines.  I can't remember the exact details. 
Definitely could not do online play with one steam account... but I had LAN going just fine.

dgrams you MUST remember, then.The world wants it  :o
Saippuakivikauppias

Purple44

I also would like to know.

I can't do a true test of just having 1 copy and using it on 2 computers at the same time.

Does not Steam block you from running the same game on 2 different computers at the same time?

dgrams2003

Okay, I will reproduce it and get some instructions...  hold tight.
PC Specs: AMD Athlon(tm) X4 740 Quad Core Processor 3.2 GHz - AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
 - 8.00 GB RAM - Windows 7 64 Bit - Xbox 360 Controller and Thrustmaster FERRARI Red Legend Racing Wheel

dgrams2003

Was asked by Purple44 and Conte Zero how to play LAN with only one purchased steam copy on two computers...
Not sure if this is okay to do at this point, but it works and it is not rocket science.   Have not tried it with other steam games - but maybe it would work.

1) On one computer, make sure you have Steam installed and logged into... and load your copy of Wreckfest.
2) Close Steam on the 1st computer.
3) Do the same on the 2nd computer.
4) After both machines are loaded up... On the first computer, start Steam if it is not running and choose STEAM/GO OFFLINE/START IN OFFLINE MODE
5) Launch Wreckfest on 1st computer after Steam restarts.
6) On the 2nd computer, do the same thing... Start Steam and choose STEAM/GO OFFLINE/START IN OFFLINE MODE
7) Launch Wreckfest on 2nd computer after Steam restarts.
8) On one game, go to multiplayer, then LAN tab and start a server
9) On the 2nd game, go to multiplayer, LAN tab and search for games, and the game from the 1st computer should appaear.

10) SUCCESS.  LAN PLAY - LET ME KNOW IF THIS BRINGS ANY HAPPINESS INTO YOUR LIFE.

* Note * 
All cars will be labeled as your Steam username... but to be able to do this... who cares, right?

Not sure if the game is really designed to be played like this or IF we will lose this feature in the future, but as far as Early Access 0.180601, you can pull this off.  Hopefully for us Alpha/Beta testers, we don't lose the ability to do this.

Mazay

Thanks for quide.

It would be neat if bugbear allowed playing same account online with two computers.

Purple44

Thanks for quide.

It would be neat if bugbear allowed playing same account online with two computers.

Now getting into a gray area. I bought 2 copies of Flatout 1 and 2 and now Wreckfest, so I can have someone else play on second computer over LAN or the internet.

dgrams2003

I honestly think that multiple internet connectivity will always need 2 copies.  I don't know why a developer would ever allow anything different.

As far as LAN play, I could see this going either way.  Honestly I think devs would always charge for every copy.  That is how it is on gaming systems... and there have been few games where you can just load them on computer after computer for LAN play.  (There are some... but few)

The issue is playing these games having to log on through Steam.  That is the account that follows through into the game when you play - so you would always have to have a 2nd steam account to play online in the same household.    That is what I do not like, but it is what it is.

I started playing TrackMania and originally loaded it through Steam, but once I started loading it on both computers in my house, I could only play one or the other online at a single time.  That is why I downloaded the software directly from the company, rather than using steam.  Now we can play both machines at the same time.   I feel I am rambling... lol

Mazay

I honestly think that multiple internet connectivity will always need 2 copies.  I don't know why a developer would ever allow anything different.

I think it's too much to have to buy game twice just to play it with friends as they visit. I believe bugbear want to be fair developer instead of doing it the way everyone other does. If friends like the game they will after all buy own copy and that way bugbear is going to get more sales.

Now when thinking it more, there should be additional limitations.
For example, to play same account online on two machines, both computers must have same IP address and join the same host.

If Wreckfest is going to have split screen online play in future, there is not much difference to playing on two computers next to each other instead.

WorldofBay

Now when thinking it more, there should be additional limitations.
For example, to play same account online on two machines, both computers must have same IP address and join the same host.

how do you address two players with same IP on same host? roll a dice to whom the damage goes? remember that they both use the same game ports as they have the same game.
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 660ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Keyboard racer inside!

Quote from: Roy
i laugh everytime i see somebody pulling on WorldofBay to overtake clean.
biggest mistake ever.

Quote from: sam223
Poor planning is a big problem for a lot of EA titles
like fifa, simcity, battlefield, ...

dgrams2003

I will have to test this some day and see if my trick works in the latest build.

dgrams2003

As of the hotfix released on 7/15/2015 this still works!  :)  Yay!