Author Topic: Concerning windows 10... will you upgrade to it?  (Read 7208 times)

Purple44

then the most stupid part of win10 is the update section. the fact that you can't disable any updates (and i'm NOT talking about security updates!) can always fuck up your work. i don't want to need to cut my internet connection to not have to install a unstable new function just because microsoft thinks it's ready for customer testing.

I'm in know hurry to upgrade my Win 7 to Win 10 and if I can't turn off the automatic updating of Windows 10, then I will have to find a work around to fix this. I don't let my Windows update itself automatically, I wait for a service pack to be release. That was my plan for Win 10, wait until the first service pack to get release before doing the upgrade next year.

We already got a report that Flatout 1 may not start under Win 10 in the forum. I will be looking into if I can dual boot the Win 10 upgrade and Win 7. Anybody that has done the Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 or Win 8, have you seen an option to keep you Win 7 or Win 8 or will Win 10 delete the older Windows when it get done installing?
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

WorldofBay

then the most stupid part of win10 is the update section. the fact that you can't disable any updates (and i'm NOT talking about security updates!) can always fuck up your work. i don't want to need to cut my internet connection to not have to install a unstable new function just because microsoft thinks it's ready for customer testing.

I'm in know hurry to upgrade my Win 7 to Win 10 and if I can't turn off the automatic updating of Windows 10, then I will have to find a work around to fix this. I don't let my Windows update itself automatically, I wait for a service pack to be release. That was my plan for Win 10, wait until the first service pack to get release before doing the upgrade next year.

We already got a report that Flatout 1 may not start under Win 10 in the forum. I will be looking into if I can dual boot the Win 10 upgrade and Win 7. Anybody that has done the Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 or Win 8, have you seen an option to keep you Win 7 or Win 8 or will Win 10 delete the older Windows when it get done installing?

in home version you can't stop the updates except by having no internet connectivity. maybe someone can release a firewall that blocks the OS but i doubt this is possible as the OS lies below this firewall and can simply restrict the firewall to not watch OS actions by simply not providing information about them to user programs.

as far as i know you can have same license win7/8.1 and win10 parallel on one computer. however the license you bought gets updated. so you can't register your win7/8.1 any more on other systems even if it was possible before. you can register win10 instead. it is not limited to one device if your old license was not limited to one device.

with different licenses parallel is always possible. you can always restrict one OS to a certain space of your drve and provide the rest to some other OS.
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 660ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Keyboard racer inside!

Quote from: Roy
i laugh everytime i see somebody pulling on WorldofBay to overtake clean.
biggest mistake ever.

Quote from: sam223
Poor planning is a big problem for a lot of EA titles
like fifa, simcity, battlefield, ...

Daystar

Windows 7 64bit pro 4life! I'm on board with you there Brian!

WorldofBay

I was considering update since it's free, but new features like advertising id to track you made me concerned about privacy.
I'll stick in windows 8.1.

no it's not free!

it's just that you already paid for it. you paid a license for win7/8.1 and now turn it into a win10 license. it's not free.
Keyboard racer inside!

biggest mistake ever.

Purple44

I was considering update since it's free, but new features like advertising id to track you made me concerned about privacy.
I'll stick in windows 8.1.

no it's not free!

it's just that you already paid for it. you paid a license for win7/8.1 and now turn it into a win10 license. it's not free.

It free in that you do not have to pay Micosoft $100 for upgraded version of Win 10. Like we paid to upgrade XP to Vista, to upgrade Vista to Win 7. Me, I just paid the $100 for OEM version and install a new version of Windows ( XP, Vista and Win 7 ).

I found this site worth reading and the comments below:

How to upgrade to Windows 10 and get your new licence key

Not looking good right now that the free Win 10 upgrade version will let you keep your old Win 7 still installed. But maybe give it a few months and somebody will give us a way to do it.

Or I could put in a hard drive switch that just power up the HD(s) I want. Want to run Win 10, turn power on for that drive. Want to run Win 7, turn power off to Win 10 drive and power on to Win 7 drive. And leave the other 2 hard drives on all the time, to install games to and record video too.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/FREE-SHIPPING-ORICO-HD-PW4101-BK-3-5-Hard-Drive-Power-Switch-for-Easy-HD-and/1665474_32259938512.html

I will be upgrading my gaming computer come Christmas with a new CPU and video card, so I definitely will wait until after upgrading computer before I make a decision on upgrading to Win 10.

Finsku

I updated free to W10 and works great. I haven't any problems and with some games it looks like I get better fps. But I have read that not every old game works with W10..

And it's free, I got W8 via school for free and update was also free. Installing went easily and any program or file didn't disappear *thumb up*. Never had this easy OS install.

^ I'll fix those.. some day

YouTube | Twitter

dbs213

I just can't be bothered with "upgrading" to a new OS. Windows 8 was already bad enough for me.

The id tracking thing on Win10 doesn't look any good either.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 06:32:50 AM by dbs213 »
My Specs: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz | 8GB Ram| Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | 1TB Hard Drive
======================================
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae (1968 - 2007)

ThomasMink

I have time to decide.
I'm pretty content with win7 though.
Mink's YouTube
----------
My aged PC: AMD FX-6200 (3.8 GHz), 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 560, Win7 64-bit
Oh.. and keyboard control

MamieNova

My RoG notebook runs win8, so I'll upgrade it first. It doesn't hold much private stuff anyway; when I'm not travelling, it's mostly used as a game console/divx player hooked to the tv. Might as well get the dx 12 for future use.
Words are ones' power and others' last resort.
----
Asus X99 Deluxe, 6-cores i7-5930k@3.5Ghz,
DDR4 16GB@3.2Ghz, Poseidon GTX980,
Windows 10 x64
----
alternate :  Asus ROG G750JX-T4279H
----
Shameless boasting ^^ :
- Thermaltake Level 10 Titanium Edition
- Harman Kardon GLA-55

Purple44

My RoG notebook runs win8, so I'll upgrade it first. It doesn't hold much private stuff anyway; when I'm not travelling, it's mostly used as a game console/divx player hooked to the tv. Might as well get the dx 12 for future use.

Remember got to upgrade to Win 8.1 before you can do the free Win 10 upgrade.

Majatek

I'll be upgrading in a couple of years. Give them time to work out the kinks (and finally add Cortana for Australia). :)
YouTube - Twitter

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPbRnpxjmm8

Having problems with purchasing NCG? Contact support@bugbear.fi

I moderate forums & break games

DD-Indeed

Installed Win 10 after using 7 for many years now. And it was a good move. Yes, there is a lot of useless ''bloatware'' programs, but, you can hide those. And of course, remember to take off all of the settings during the install (if you want), that would send data to MS and go through some of the program settings too to keep you ''hidden''.

Then it comes to the big question, is it fast ?

Yes, it is. A lot. More efficient and lighter than Win7/8/8.1. Even the boot is faster than in those previous ones. You can see, that it is desinged to work on multiple different platforms.

And other plus-sides include ability to add multiple desktops (Apple, you're not alone anymore), much more clearer and simpler look (but, some programs are not yet optimized for it, so some of the programs look bad on it for now).

So it's already good, even thou, it's unfinished here and there and is missing some features. Highly recommended. :)

St. Jimmy

Next summer at the earliest. I'm waiting for CPU and Motherboard upgrade in the future and I won't go to Win10 until I've made that. When/If I install the Win 10 I'll strip it out as much as I can so no extra thingys are running. I'm worried a lot of the automatic updates because they can fuck up the system pretty quikcly. For example my Win7 start-up was slowed down a lot (doubled) because of the "Get Windows 10" update because I had turned on the automatic updates at some point...
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

WorldofBay

And other plus-sides include ability to add multiple desktops (Apple, you're not alone anymore)

GNU/linux systems have multiple desktops for a very long time now, i doubt apple was EVER alone with that
debian for example has 4 desktops by default
Keyboard racer inside!

biggest mistake ever.