Author Topic: Concerning windows 10... will you upgrade to it?  (Read 9737 times)

DD-Indeed

And other plus-sides include ability to add multiple desktops (Apple, you're not alone anymore)

GNU/linux systems have multiple desktops for a very long time now, i doubt apple was EVER alone with that
debian for example has 4 desktops by default

Forgot about Linux, my bad. :)

Zebulon55

A somewhat lesser implementation of virtual desktops was available on windows XP via the free powertoy Virtual Desktop Manager.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Zebulon55

Back on topic, I have upgraded to Windows 10. I have experienced a few glitches, including Win10 loading a unusual free font as the system font, and the taskbar & Cortana didn't play well with Avast antivirus. Overall, so far, I like Win 10 better than Win 8.1.
Wreckfest seems to run well in either Windows version.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

MamieNova

Actually, windows has multiple desktop support since winXP, it's simply disabled by default.
Some microsoft guy explained in a book the reason behind it (with other funfacts) : they didn't want their customer support to be flooded by  people asking why their applications had suddenly disappeared.
Back then, litestep was the best known way to enable multidesktop, but iirc, you could also simply tweak some registry key.
Also, there's this : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/how-to-get-virtual-desktops-on-windows-xp/
Words are ones' power and others' last resort.
----
Asus X99 Deluxe, 6-cores i7-5930k@3.5Ghz,
DDR4 16GB@3.2Ghz, Poseidon GTX980,
Windows 10 x64
----
alternate :  Asus ROG G750JX-T4279H
----
Shameless boasting ^^ :
- Thermaltake Level 10 Titanium Edition
- Harman Kardon GLA-55

rhamm

I had it but went back to Win 7 after I tried doing a fresh reinstall and they wanted me to pay money.
Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz, Geforce GTX 670
16GB DDR3
Fanatec Clubsport Wheel V2 with Porsche 918 RSR
V1 Clubsport Pedals plugged into wheel as 1 device

MamieNova

did you try that fresh install on a new motherboard maybe ?
----
Windows 10 x64
----
----
Shameless boasting ^^ :
- Harman Kardon GLA-55

Zebulon55

I had it but went back to Win 7 after I tried doing a fresh reinstall and they wanted me to pay money.

So you did the upgrade and that worked and activated? Then you wiped the disk and clean reinstalled and it wouldn't activate?

I have done the upgrade & activation, and planned a clean reinstall for the near future. I was under the impression once I activated as Win10 upgrade, then the clean install could be activated as well.

I never want to go back to Windows 8.1.

Edit: Hard drive crashed; reinstalled windows 10 and activated. working great.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:35:25 AM by Zebulon55 »

MamieNova

I upgraded both my computers AND clean reinstalled them afterwards, no problem. Desktop had a valid win7, notebook a valid win8
----
Windows 10 x64
----
----
Shameless boasting ^^ :
- Harman Kardon GLA-55

rhamm

Yes, that's what happened. Think it's because my version of Win 7 was an upgrade version or possibly because I moved Win 7 to a new computer once when I upgraded it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 02:29:47 PM by rhamm »
16GB DDR3

MamieNova

upgrading to windows 10 registers your motherboard as linked to your windows 10 license. You can then reinstall windows 10 without any need for a cd key.

huh, talking about a cd key, did you try to enter your win7 key when asked for a key by the win10 install ? That might be your problem if you did =D
If your upgrade went fine, you can leave it blank and click continue.
----
Windows 10 x64
----
----
Shameless boasting ^^ :
- Harman Kardon GLA-55

rhamm

I left it blank and it wouldn't activate without money.
16GB DDR3

MamieNova

I can see two other things :

you upgraded a win7 32bits, and thus have a 32bit win10 license (that would suck), yet you tried to clean install a 64 version (it has to be confirmed for win10 since I didn't try, but in the case of win XP or 7, the first time you activate, your cd key will be associated with the type you installed, 32 or 64)

the other case is pretty similar : OEM version or retail. OEM windows are the ones you can find preinstalled on fully assembled computers like a HP/acer/... desktop or notebook. Retail is the one you're supposed to buy when you assemble your own computer.

If you upgraded an OEM version and then tried to clean install with the retail win 10 ISO, that might be your issue.
----
Windows 10 x64
----
----
Shameless boasting ^^ :
- Harman Kardon GLA-55

findRED

Diver Dave your photography is very good.  I would love to come to alaska 

Just out of curiosity how long is the drive from seattle?  Or is that not possible?

are you spam bot?
Laptop:
i7 3630QM 4core 2.4GHz
GT 645M 2GB
6GB RAM

“I created a theme song for the door.” -Unknown Game Composer

MM2 Mods

Purple44

GRRR, almost had to reboot computer back to Win 7 tonight since my pedals would not work under Win 10!!! Will post later what I had to do to fix and my other funs of "upgrading" to Win 10.   :P
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Purple44

Ok, this week I bit the bullet and did the free upgrade to Win 10 before time run out come July 29.

I wanted to keep Win 7 ( because of Flatout 1 ) and dual boot Win 10. That was my goal I wanted to reach after I do the Win 10 upgrade. I bought a new 2 TB Black Western Digital HD. My current 4 hard drives are all about full, recording to many online racing videos!!

I posted this last summer:

I found this site worth reading and the comments below:

How to upgrade to Windows 10 and get your new licence key

Not looking good right now that the free Win 10 upgrade version will let you keep your old Win 7 still installed. But maybe give it a few months and somebody will give us a way to do it.

So I head back to the expert reviews site to refresh my memory of how do a Win 10 upgrade and found this:

Performing a clean install of Windows 10 - new information

Microsoft has finally fixed one of the most annoying parts of Windows 10: the activation. When it first launched, if upgraders wanted a clean install of Windows 10 they had to upgrade their existing PC first and then clean install. As of now, the Windows 10 installation wizard recognises Windows 7 and Windows 8 licence keys, automatically upgrading them to Windows 10 (or recognising previously upgraded codes). This means that you can clean install and upgrade to Windows 10 at the same time, skipping the steps below if you want to start from scratch. Follow the Expert Reviews guide to clean installing Windows 10 for more information.

So after reading this, I'm thinking I can clone my Win 7 drive onto the new 2 TB hard drive and install Win 10 cleanly on a unused portion of new HD. Nope, can't do that.

The big issue that I ran into that stop me from doing this was "Windows can't be installed on MBR. Convert to GPT."

"Master boot record (MBR) disks use the standard BIOS partition table. GUID partition table (GPT) disks use unified extensible firmware interface (UEFI). One advantage of GPT disks is that you can have more than four partitions on each disk. GPT is also required for disks larger than 2 terabytes.

You can change a disk from MBR to GPT partition style as long as the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes."

The Win 10 installer would not let me install Win 10 on to an allocated part of the new drive because of cloning Win 7 onto new HD. Hard drive is using Master boot record. To do clean install, the new hard drive has to be wipe clean so installer can make drive GPT before installing Win 10.

I did try and wipe new drive clean and then converted drive to GPT, then did the cloning with Acronis True Image, but drive was MBR after cloning process and Win 10 installer still did not like new drive.

So I was force to have do the upgrading of Win 10 over the top of Win 7 on the cloned new hard drive so I would not lose the 250 GB of games. I want to keep the old drive with Win 7 so when I retire current gaming computer in couple more years, I can use the old Win 7 hard drive to surf the internet.

In the end, I think it workout better for me that I upgraded Win 7 instead of doing clean install of Win 10. When Win 10 first booted up, it was how Win 10 is. There no option to turn off automatic updates in Win 10.  >:( And when you go to shut down Windows, you see Update and Shut Down or Update and Restart. There no just shut down button!!  :o Win 10 is update happy, it want to force you keep Win 10 up to date. I did find this to try and tame Win 10:

I went here to find away to stop the automatic upgrades. Did the group policy thing:

http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

I don't like Windows updating itself. I prefer to wait for a service pack and then update Windows. I also stay away from using Internet Explorer since hackers love to pick on Microsoft. I stick to using Firefox.

But when I rebooted computer and got into Win 10 a second time, it look like my Win 7 desktop, had all my shortcuts ( was missing some the first time ) and now it say Shut down, like it did in Win 7, when I go to close Win 10. :)  And doing the upgrade over Win 7, save me the time to have to reinstall everything ( 4 years worth of stuff ).

But I did run into a couple of issue with the update so far.

Hey, it my turn to post in my thread. :P

Problem:
After letting Microsoft upgraded my Win 7 to Win 10, I now need 3d glasses to play Wreckfest!  :o

Solution:
If I alt-tab and then go back to Wreckfest, that would get rid of the 3D effect. But I wanted a better fix. So I did a Google search for " this application is not rated by nvidia corp " And got a link to this thread:

This application is not rated by Nvidia Corp

Quote from: DrunkNinja
     Nov 14, 2015
Loading the title screen when I was given a message in the bottom left of screen saying "This application is not rated by nvidia corp"...

Followed by my game skitzing out and all the colours turning a brown orange and white mess. Now unplayable.

Drivers are current and been playing no problems for months, until today.

Any ideas? Can't find any information about this problem, I'm clueless.

****FIXED**** Something was causing the game to start in 3D mode, disable sterioscopic 3D in Nvidia control panel.

So I go check the Nvidia control panel and find this:

I unclick sterioscopic 3D setting, fire up Wreckfest and the 3D effect is gone. :)

Doing the Win 10 upgrade over Win 7 kept my current Nividia drivers, but somehow the upgrade enable the sterioscopic 3D setting.

2. As I mention early, I go and do some benchmarking for this post and I find out my DFGT wheel pedals do not work any more under Win 10!!!  >:(

My pedals were working fine earlier in the day when I had Win 7 loaded, but now the pedals not working under Win 10. I thought it might be the driver Microsoft loaded, so I delete them and go to Logitech web site and download Logitech Gaming Software Win 10, 64bit version and install and still have the same problem.

I go and do the calibration and the steering and buttons work, but when go to part for the pedals, nothing happens. I also notice that it says Driving Force Wheel, not Driving Force GT Wheel. I'm thinking this might be the problem. Windows not seeing my Wheel as a DFGT with pedals.

Lucky for me I got the old Logitech Gaming Software that date 4\2012 that I used for Win 7 and this file has the same name as the one I download from Logitech, just a different date. So I uninstall the new Logitech Gaming Software and install the old Logitech Gaming Software from 2012 and now my DFGT wheel works again!

Here link to the 2012 Logitech Gaming Software I used if anybody need it. Be warned it a compress exe file, so may trigger your anti-virus:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jnvu02qisqrc9po/logitech-gs510_x64+-+2012.exe

Some have said Win 10 has made some games run better, higher FPS. So I thought I give this a test with Win 7 and Win 10 and Wreckfest. I pick Gravel track since it toughest track on FPS, no AI to throw off the test. I do a 1 lap race first so computer has graphics loaded, then do a 3 lap race and benchmark this race with Fraps.

Win 7:
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
 12313,    200000,  53,  73, 61.565

Win 10:
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
 12451,    200000,  53,  73, 62.255

I did not see an increase in FPS with upgrading to Win 10 and my 960 video card using the same drivers in Win 7 and 10.

About Flat out 1 does not work on Windows 10. I gave it a go to see if I could get our community mod for Flatout 1, that uses the Euro patch v1.1 flatout.exe, to work. I tried a bunch compatibility modes and had no luck.

If you want to run Flatout 1 under Win 10, seem you still are stuck using the Steam v1.0 version, that not patch and will not work with our Flatout Joint community mod.  :(

So this one reason I wanted be able to dual boot between Win 7 and Win 10. It would of been nice at boot up, computer ask me if I want Win 7 or Win 10. But that did not happen. But I find I can go into the BIOS and change boot priority to my second hard drive that still has Win 7 and save and computer will boot to Win 7. I can live with this.

So their my Win 10 upgrade story. Win 10 going need some tweaking to make it more my kind of user friendly. Good thing there the internet and Google.

So far I don't see anything in Win 10 that I need that was not in Win 7. Win 7 was needed after Vista took away user friendly interface.  If you got a bunch of devices and want to sync them with the "cloud" or need a personal assistant that can be voice activated ( Cortana ), then you might want Win 10.  :P

I don't like when I start the Start Menu, some the windows are going to the internet and updating themselves. Like pushing a new game or giving you news on Donald trump! Can this be a problem while gaming ( and not having an anti virus program running on my gaming computer )? Does Start Menu stay "quiet" when it not open? I will be looking to find out how I can get start menu back to the classic view of XP.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 03:01:09 AM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel