Author Topic: How To Setup A Dedicated Server or Servers  (Read 19292 times)

II-WalkerGer-II

i need help!! does someone know where my error is? i can only see this server in the lan tab
Think like a Proton!

My Rig:
Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980
AMD FX 6300 @ 4.2Ghz (custom cooler)
16GB RAM - Windows 10

Purple44

i need help!! does someone know where my error is? i can only see this server in the lan tab

I would check your port forwarding and make sure the needed Wreckfest ports are being ported to the right computer that running dedicated server software.

I just got me a VOIP phone box and it ended up stealing my gaming computers assign IP address, so my host was not showing up online. Had to go through and edit my gaming computer's forward ports to the new IP address my gaming computer using now.

Also this week was helping Heddly get his host to show up online, after making sure everything was ported to the right computer and host still did not show up online, Heddly had to enable the DMZ server to get host to show online with Wreckfest.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Scruffy

We used SteamCMD for our A3 server, so I just got that working as an updater on our root server.

First install SteamCMD, if you haven't already.
1. Dowload the file
2. Put it in the folder you want, for example C:\SteamCMD\
3. Run it once.

Now setup the folders you want to use for the dedicated server, we use C:\Games\Wreckfest\
Inside there create a new folder named Server and a textfile that you rename to "Wreckfest_Steam_Updater.cmd"

Edit the .cmd file and paste the following inside:
Code: [Select]
@echo off
SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION
:: DEFINE the following variables where applicable to your install
SET STEAMLOGIN=username password
SET NCGBRANCH=228380
:: Note, the missing qotation marks, these need to be wrapped around the entire "+app_data......"
SET NCGPath=C:\Games\Wreckfest\Server
SET STEAMPATH=C:\SteamCMD
:: _________________________________________________________
echo.
echo You are about to update Wreckfest
echo Dir: %NCGPath%
echo Branch: %NCGBRANCH%
echo.
echo Key "ENTER" to procede
pause
%STEAMPATH%\steamcmd.exe +login %STEAMLOGIN% +force_install_dir %NCGPath% +"app_update %NCGBRANCH%" validate +quit
echo .
echo Your Wreckfest is now up to date
echo key "ENTER" to exit
pause

You need to change username and password on line 4 and the folders on lines 7+8
I didn't try anonymous login, because I think that will not work as you will download the whole game. Don't be logged in to steam.

Start the .cmd file as admin.
If this is the first time you log into your account from the server it will ask for the steam guard code.
It will now download the game to the folder you set in line 7. When it has finished go there and edit your settings and start the server.

To update just run the file again, if there is no update it will validate the files.

Firebird

List of colours for use in name and chat :) OP could add to starting post

^1 red
^2 green
^3 orange
^4 blue
^5 cyan
^6 magenta
^7 white
^8 grey
^9 dark grey

Anyone know how to setup car restrictions as in banning certain cars? Thanks
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:33:09 PM by Firebird »
Win 10 Pro - i5 2500K - 12GB - R9 290

Purple44

^1 red
^2 green
^3 orange
^4 blue
^5 cyan
^6 magenta
^7 white
^8 grey
^9 dark grey

Anyone know how to setup car restrictions as in banning certain cars? Thanks

This is in the initial_server_config.cfg file

# Cars:
# american sedan
# european
# european coupe
# american muscle
# american muscle 2
# american muscle 3
# european coupe 2
car_restriction=

I have not tested this option.

CFodder

Have added those thanks Firebird.

Heddly

I started a dedicated host tonight, Started Wreckfest and joined my host.
I did not have admin rights to change Event Settings etc. Never had this problem before.
Any ideas?

Code: [Select]
# General - ascii character limits: server_name(31), welcome_message(254), password(31)
server_name=Heddly Fiber Optic Test
welcome_message=
max_players=24
password=heddly

# Allow car reset?
car_reset_disabled=0

# Clear previous user privileges every time when executing start_server_initial.bat
# 0 = keep, 1 = clear
clear_users=0

# 0 = first to join receives owner privileges, 1 = doesn't receive owner privileges
owner_disabled=0

# Lan
# 0 = use Steam, 1 = without Steam
lan=0

# Only used when lan=0
# Server is visible in LAN search only for query ports 27015-27020 and 26900-26905.
steam_port=27015
game_port=33540
query_port=27016

# Tracks:
# derby3
# derby10
# derby2
# derby11_rev
# stadium2, stadium2_rev
# forest5, forest5_rev
# oval1, oval1b
# oval2, oval2b
# sandpit1, sandpit1_rev
# sandpit1b, sandpit1b_rev
# sandpit6, sandpit6_rev
track=oval2

# Gamemodes:
# racing, derby, derby deathmatch, team derby, team race, elimination race
gamemode=racing

# Prepopulate with bots, 0-24
bots=0

# Team modes only, 2-4
num_teams=2

# Races only, 1-60
laps=9

# Derby time limit in minutes
time_limit=9

# For elimination race, 0, 20, 30, 45, 60, 90
# (0 means elimination each lap, others are seconds)
elimination_interval=0

# Classes: a, b, c, d
car_class_restriction=a

# Cars:
# american sedan
# european
# european coupe
# american muscle
# american muscle 2
# american muscle 3
# european coupe 2
car_restriction=

# Weathers:
# bright day
weather=
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:34:58 AM by Heddly »
I7-2.9 Ghz 8GB, Radeon R9 200 4GB   http://www.moddb.com/mods/foj-community-mod/addons

Purple44

I did some digging and refreshing my memory Heddly, go here:

Admin Id help

Hope this helps Heddly.  Need to fire up your dedicated server next Saturday when we get our hands on Build #8!  :D

Heddly

I did some digging and refreshing my memory Heddly, go here:

Admin Id help

Hope this helps Heddly.  Need to fire up your dedicated server next Saturday when we get our hands on Build #8!  :D

Thanks for the link Purple44. Got it working.

I was using "/admin [Heddly]", with the brackets. Now I know to use "/admin Heddly" and it works.   :o

I quit the server and rejoined and still had admin rights, the closed server and restarted it then rejoined and had admin user.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:56:30 AM by Heddly »
I7-2.9 Ghz 8GB, Radeon R9 200 4GB   http://www.moddb.com/mods/foj-community-mod/addons

Adziej

Is there any chance to remove car restrictions without restarting server? Now I have to shutdown the server and close dedicated server software, then open config file and manually remove/change car restrictions and run it once again.
Bugbear, could you add this option to menu?
i5 2500k @ 3,3Ghz + TRUE + NB XL2 || Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB OC || ASRock P67 Pro3 B3 || Pentagram SF-620W || Crucial 2x4GB 1600 || Intel 520 120GB || Samsung F3 HD502HJ || LG W2252TQ-PF || Razer Salmosa || Saitek Eclipse II || Xbox 360 Wireless Controller || Creative X-Fi Music + Z-5500 || Win7 Home

Purple44

I think this be a good place to put this post from Bugbear Dev Tapio he posted today about the Feb #10 Build:

Since the update, server_config.cfg has been added. I was wondering if I still just edit the initial_server_config.cfg as like before if I want to change the welcome message etc. Second question: Is it still best to use start_server_initial.bat when I start the server?

The new behaviour is: It will never read the settings from initial_server_config.cfg so edit server_config.cfg instead. Only in the case that there is no server_config.cfg file present, it will copy and rename the initial_server_config.cfg to the server_config.cfg and then use that new file normally. This change was made because previously Steam would overwrite your custom configuration on updates or data verification - now because the config is read from a file that Steam has no knowledge of, it's safe from getting reset.

Note that all this only happens when running the start_server_initial.bat - if running the start_server.bat file instead, no .cfg file is read and the configuration that was active when you last closed the server is used (minus the event loop settings that are not currently stored).

Sidenote: You can change welcome message etc. also through the opened server console window, by typing e.g. welcome_message="Hello world!" These changes persist if you restart the server with start_server.bat, but are overwritten from the config file if you use the start_server_initial.bat instead.

Here some other server threads you might want give a read if new to setting up a server:

Server options

Couple of Ded Server Requests

CFodder

Have updated the OP with corrections for the server cfg files and added a brief description of how to do track rotations.

Also added a list of map names in-game and their server equivalents.

If there are any corrections to these please let me know.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:59:39 AM by CFodder »

Tapio Vierros

Have updated the oP with corrections for the server cfg files and added a brief description of how to do track rotations.

> 5.  Go back to your Wreckfest folder and run the start_server.bat file, this will start up the server and if your ports above are forwarded properly it will be advertised.

You need to use start_server_initial.bat if you want the .cfg file to be read. start_server.cfg will not read the config and instead use previously active values saved elsewhere.

> Running More Than One Dedicated Server

It should be simpler to just copy server_config.bat to a new name in the old folder and then copy start_server_initial.bat to also new name and edit it to point to the new config file.

> Also note you currently have to log into steam to start the dedicated servers, but can log out after they've started.

This should no longer be necessary.

CFodder

Have updated the oP with corrections for the server cfg files and added a brief description of how to do track rotations.

> 5.  Go back to your Wreckfest folder and run the start_server.bat file, this will start up the server and if your ports above are forwarded properly it will be advertised.

You need to use start_server_initial.bat if you want the .cfg file to be read. start_server.cfg will not read the config and instead use previously active values saved elsewhere.

> Running More Than One Dedicated Server

It should be simpler to just copy server_config.bat to a new name in the old folder and then copy start_server_initial.bat to also new name and edit it to point to the new config file.

> Also note you currently have to log into steam to start the dedicated servers, but can log out after they've started.

This should no longer be necessary.

Added the corrections thanks Tapio, our servers run fine just running it from server_copfig.bat however I can see the failsafe in running it from server_config_initial.bat :).

Facial_Burns

what ports do i use for the second?
My steam group where u can always find some friends on NCG
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WRCserver
My NCG discord server
https://discord.gg/010U99akJwUY82yjk

Basic pc specs:
16gb ram
Amd athlon FX 8350 8 core
nividia gtx 970
gigabte motherboard
3tb hdd