Author Topic: How To Setup A Dedicated Server or Servers  (Read 39882 times)

Heddly

My server is up now, seems that some track names will not load, sorted it out so all tracks rotate now.

Facial_Burns

Mixed 2 will not load
My steam group where u can always find some friends on NCG
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WRCserver
My NCG discord server
https://discord.gg/010U99akJwUY82yjk

Basic pc specs:
16gb ram
Amd athlon FX 8350 8 core
nividia gtx 970
gigabte motherboard
3tb hdd
windows 8.1 pro

Spaceface

I was just looking at the Network Settings in the dedicated.ddst file in bagedit and wondering if anyone could clarify what the following settings do, and what values may help for high ping players. Bandwidth is not issue for me.

Smoothing Factor
Remote Smoothing Factor
Total Prediction Time
Update Frequency

Thanks!
Computer Specs:
CPU: 3570K @ 4.4 Ghz
GPU: Gigabyte G1 1070
RAM: TEAM DDR3 16GB 2400 Mhz
SOUND: Soundblaster Z
MOBO: ASROCK Z77 EXTREME 4
SSD 1: OS on OCZ-VERTEX3 120 Gb
SSD 2: Games on MUSHKIN 480 Gb
PSU: Seasonic SSR-650RM

Purple44

I was just looking at the Network Settings in the dedicated.ddst file in bagedit and wondering if anyone could clarify what the following settings do, and what values may help for high ping players. Bandwidth is not issue for me.

Smoothing Factor
Remote Smoothing Factor
Total Prediction Time
Update Frequency

Thanks!

This what Janne had to say about Total Prediction Time and Update Frequency:

When joining a multiplayer game, it's most often a good starting point is to first try with the default values.

Increasing the client prediction time will increase the precision of the synchronization with the server (i.e. what you see in-game will be closer that what it really is on the server) but it takes a considerable amount of processing time especially with our current level of physics so like most good things in life it comes with a performance cost, meaning that the higher you go with the value the slower the game will get. Lowering the value too much will cause your client to drift further away from the server which can manifest as warping cars, rubber-banding and weird deform if ping is high, so although you can improve performance by going lower you should tread carefully. Usually something in the range of 600-800 works best if you don't have a super-computer.

Server update frequency is a server-side setting and thus doesn't have any effect on a client. It means how often the server is synchronized with clients. It help the clients in the sense that the higher the synchronization frequency is the less processing time clients will need to use for prediction. However, synchronization naturally uses server bandwidth which might became a scarce resource on a low-bandwidth server running a game with 24 players.

I hope this explains the mystique behind the settings. I realize our documentation is lacking at this point, but we'll try to improve it soon.

Did not find any post doing a forum search for "Smoothing Factor". Maybe Janne could post and tell you what "Smoothing Factor" does.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Spaceface

Smoothing Factor
Remote Smoothing Factor
Total Prediction Time
Update Frequency

Thanks!

This what Janne had to say about Total Prediction Time and Update Frequency:

When joining a multiplayer game, it's most often a good starting point is to first try with the default values.

Increasing the client prediction time will increase the precision of the synchronization with the server (i.e. what you see in-game will be closer that what it really is on the server) but it takes a considerable amount of processing time especially with our current level of physics so like most good things in life it comes with a performance cost, meaning that the higher you go with the value the slower the game will get. Lowering the value too much will cause your client to drift further away from the server which can manifest as warping cars, rubber-banding and weird deform if ping is high, so although you can improve performance by going lower you should tread carefully. Usually something in the range of 600-800 works best if you don't have a super-computer.

Server update frequency is a server-side setting and thus doesn't have any effect on a client. It means how often the server is synchronized with clients. It help the clients in the sense that the higher the synchronization frequency is the less processing time clients will need to use for prediction. However, synchronization naturally uses server bandwidth which might became a scarce resource on a low-bandwidth server running a game with 24 players.

I hope this explains the mystique behind the settings. I realize our documentation is lacking at this point, but we'll try to improve it soon.

Did not find any post doing a forum search for "Smoothing Factor". Maybe Janne could post and tell you what "Smoothing Factor" does.

Thanks Purp, 

I  realized  that the dedicated.ddst file stores the  user privileges, but only seems to support 1 server. I was messing with multiple server configs and forgot to disable the clear user privileges option when I fired up a modded  config. When I loaded up the config for my normal server all user privileges had been wiped. Don't think its possible to setup multiple server configs with different user privs/admins on each. Showli  wasn't impressed cause he was going to use it for his event. I had no idea I had accidentally cleared all privileges, and I was at work at the time.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:13:30 PM by Spaceface »
Computer Specs:

Heddly

Quote from: Spaceface;350533172700858848
If you need another server for the event, you can use mine. I wont be able to attend but I can leave it running 24/7, it will auto restart in the event the server crashes. 

Hi Spaceface, I was wondering how you got your dedicated server to restart. It would be nice if BB could add something like that in the next update and fix the loss of user privileges.

When running a sever with loop track you have to use the start_server_initial.bat which loses all user privileges. If I disable the clear user privileges option in the dedicated.ddst file in bagedit will that work for severs with the loop tracks?

I guess I could just try it myself but thought you might already know. :)

Spaceface

If you need another server for the event, you can use mine. I wont be able to attend but I can leave it running 24/7, it will auto restart in the event the server crashes. 

Hi Spaceface, I was wondering how you got your dedicated server to restart. It would be nice if BB could add something like that in the next update and fix the loss of user privileges.

When running a sever with loop track you have to use the start_server_initial.bat which loses all user privileges. If I disable the clear user privileges option in the dedicated.ddst file in bagedit will that work for severs with the loop tracks?

Hey Heddley,

If you just set "clear_users=0" in the server cfg, it should not reset privileges.  CFodder posted a great guide at the beginning of this thread on how to setup the config files and create a batch file to launch each one, helpful if you run multiple servers simultaneously. I'm actually kind of cheating, I have a server manager program that someone else wrote for wreckfest with a gui for setting up server configs and it handles the auto restart if server crashes. However, there are many other application's out there that will restart programs if they crash. https://www.raymond.cc/blog/keep-application-running-by-automatically-rerun-when-closed/

Here is a quote from Tapio from another thread you may find helpful:
The new behaviour is: It will never read the settings from initial_server_config.cfg so edit server_config.cfg instead. Only in the case that there is no server_config.cfg file present, it will copy and rename the initial_server_config.cfg to the server_config.cfg and then use that new file normally. This change was made because previously Steam would overwrite your custom configuration on updates or data verification - now because the config is read from a file that Steam has no knowledge of, it's safe from getting reset.

Note that all this only happens when running the start_server_initial.bat - if running the start_server.bat file instead, no .cfg file is read and the configuration that was active when you last closed the server is used (minus the event loop settings that are not currently stored).

Sidenote: You can change welcome message etc. also through the opened server console window, by typing e.g. welcome_message="Hello world!" These changes persist if you restart the server with start_server.bat, but are overwritten from the config file if you use the start_server_initial.bat instead.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 09:03:07 PM by Spaceface »
Computer Specs:

CFodder

Have added the new tracks to the track lists.

Facial_Burns

also u might want to add for those wanting to run modded servers and trying to find track names they can type 'tracks' into the console and it will give u the name for all the tracks available including the mods names
My NCG discord server

Basic pc specs:
16gb ram
nividia gtx 970
gigabte motherboard
3tb hdd
windows 8.1 pro

CFodder

I haven't done anything with mods yet on our servers so have no experience with them, also I would've thought it people have enough knowledge to setup a dedicated server they'd notice how to get the track list :P

Heddly

Hey Heddley,

If you just set "clear_users=0" in the server cfg, it should not reset privileges.  CFodder posted a great guide at the beginning of this thread on how to setup the config files and create a batch file to launch each one, helpful if you run multiple servers simultaneously. I'm actually kind of cheating, I have a server manager program that someone else wrote for wreckfest with a gui for setting up server configs and it handles the auto restart if server crashes. However, there are many other application's out there that will restart programs if they crash. https://www.raymond.cc/blog/keep-application-running-by-automatically-rerun-when-closed/[/url]

Here is a quote from Tapio from another thread you may find helpful:
The new behaviour is: It will never read the settings from initial_server_config.cfg so edit server_config.cfg instead. Only in the case that there is no server_config.cfg file present, it will copy and rename the initial_server_config.cfg to the server_config.cfg and then use that new file normally. This change was made because previously Steam would overwrite your custom configuration on updates or data verification - now because the config is read from a file that Steam has no knowledge of, it's safe from getting reset.

Note that all this only happens when running the start_server_initial.bat - if running the start_server.bat file instead, no .cfg file is read and the configuration that was active when you last closed the server is used (minus the event loop settings that are not currently stored).

Sidenote: You can change welcome message etc. also through the opened server console window, by typing e.g. welcome_message="Hello world!" These changes persist if you restart the server with start_server.bat, but are overwritten from the config file if you use the start_server_initial.bat instead.

Thanks for the link Spaceface.   :)

I tried a few of the programs but they look for an .EXE file, .BAT files are not an option. I started the server .bat file and chose the running task of Wreckest, (just the sever was running), when I manually closed the server the game started instead. lol

I hope BB works on the dedicated server to add mods and add an auto restart option.

I have hi speed internet and would like to share it if this could be worked out somehow.

Facial_Burns

U can run mods on dedicated servers, I sent purple the thing u need 2 add too your file, he said he would give it too you :)
My NCG discord server

Basic pc specs:
16gb ram
nividia gtx 970
gigabte motherboard
3tb hdd
windows 8.1 pro

CFodder

Post it in here, or send me a pm with it, and I'll add it to the first post.

It would be good to get a copy sent to me also, to get some more modded servers going.

Thanks!
Sim Setup: Thrustmaster T300RS - Fanatec Clubsport V2 Pedals - DSD Sequential Shifter - Modified NZKW Simulator - NZKW GT Seat

Heddly

U can run mods on dedicated servers, I sent purple the thing u need 2 add too your file, he said he would give it too you :)

@ Facial_Burns, Thanks,I found the line he sent to add mods to server.cfg, now if I could set it to auto restart the server, I could leave it running while I am away.

I found the new track server name for Sandpit 3=forest5, but what name do I use for the new Figure 8 for Speedway 2? Help please