Author Topic: Is the FlatOut franchise basically over?  (Read 3736 times)

BrianBattles

I haven't seen or heard any sign of updates, patches, new product announcements, or anything else that could be considered "news" about the FlatOut series in many years. Is it safe to say that FlatOut is effectively "over"? In other words, don't expect any new versions, updates, mods, patches, or additional official activity regarding the series any more? I've been a huge fan, originally on PC and now on XBOX 360 for FO, FO2 and FO UC. I've even re-bought the software when I wore the CDs to death and so on. I would love to see more modern, fancier graphics, new tracks, cars, etc....but I'm guessing it's not ever going to happen. Just to keep me from hanging onto my desperate thread of hope, can anyone from Bugbear confirm that it's over? :-\

Frisker

Bugbear doesn't own the rights for Flatout anymore, don't remember who owned them atm. I just know that Bugbear's former publisher went bankrupt or something.

i5 2310, 2.9Ghz
GeForce GTX 750 ti, 2Gb
8Gb's RAM

WorldofBay

Bugbear doesn't own the rights for Flatout anymore, don't remember who owned them atm. I just know that Bugbear's former publisher went bankrupt or something.

Team6 bought the rights for FlatOut
and yes empire interactive has gone bankrupt in 2009

so basically nothing is left from the flatout series, sadly.
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 660ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Keyboard racer inside!

Quote from: Roy
i laugh everytime i see somebody pulling on WorldofBay to overtake clean.
biggest mistake ever.

Quote from: sam223
Poor planning is a big problem for a lot of EA titles
like fifa, simcity, battlefield, ...

Zebulon55

There is an android ragdoll game based on flatout by team6.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Usmovers_02

Man the franchise must be cheap now. Someone should pick up the rights.

Needles Kane

Actually Team6 is just developer of Flatout wii, Flatout 3: Pathos and frustration and Flatout - Stuntman.

Strategy First is publisher of those games, I think SF owns rights for franchise.

Edit. I found FO wii is published by Zoo entertainment. So who exactly owns franchise? FO games in Steam are published by SF; did SF bought franchise from Zoo or is there some relationship between Zoo and SF?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:39:20 AM by Needles Kane »

Purple44

Actually Team6 is just developer of Flatout wii, Flatout 3: Pathos and frustration and Flatout - Stuntman.

Strategy First is publisher of those games, I think SF owns rights for franchise.

Edit. I found FO wii is published by Zoo entertainment. So who exactly owns franchise? FO games in Steam are published by SF; did SF bought franchise from Zoo or is there some relationship between Zoo and SF?

When Empire Interactive when belly up in the recession in 2009, Zoo Games bought the rights to Flatout name. Zoo Games hired Team6 to do Flatout Wii version. When I heard Team6 was doing Flatout Wii version, I ask Team6 if they would do a PC version. Team6 said sure, if Zoo Games give the OK and the money. So I start email campaign and we got Zoo Games to give Team6 the OK to do PC version of Flatout. But about 8 months later, Zoo Games run into financial trouble and Team6 got look for a new publisher to finish the game.

That when BAD publisher Strategy First get involved and screw over the Flatout community by releasing a beta version of Flatout5 ( Flatout 3 ) that was not even close to be readying for prime time release, to get the Steam Christmas sales!!  >:(

Will there be a new Flatout for the PC? We did It!!!!

Far as I know, Strategy First is still the owners of the Flatout name and control the Steam Flatout store.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Zebulon55

When I heard Team6 was doing Flatout Wii version, I ask Team6 if they would do a PC version. Team6 said sure, if Zoo Games give the OK and the money. So I start email campaign and we got Zoo Games to give Team6 the OK to do PC version of Flatout. But about 8 months later, Zoo Games run into financial trouble and Team6 got look for a new publisher to finish the game.

That when BAD publisher Strategy First get involved and screw over the Flatout community by releasing a beta version of Flatout5 ( Flatout 3 ) that was not even close to be readying for prime time release, to get the Steam Christmas sales!!  >:(

So, you're really the guy we have to thank for Flatout: C&D!!!!   :D

J/k - I posted in that wishlist thread (I used a different name in that forum) asking for a "death from above" feature like Demolition Racer. Team6 said it might be a Steam achievement.  Sadly, I never ended up buying the resulting game, so I don't know if it was used at all.   :'(

edit: your foj post on the wayback machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/20101122155314/http://flatoutjoint.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=2206.0
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 12:49:54 PM by Zebulon55 »

Gerty

Man the franchise must be cheap now. Someone should pick up the rights.
Well then, I need to break my piggy bank :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:20:41 PM by Sidekick »
AMD FX-8320 | 8gb RAM | Nvidia Geforce GTX970 |  Windows 10 Pro x64 | Logitech G27

Purple44

When I heard Team6 was doing Flatout Wii version, I ask Team6 if they would do a PC version. Team6 said sure, if Zoo Games give the OK and the money. So I start email campaign and we got Zoo Games to give Team6 the OK to do PC version of Flatout. But about 8 months later, Zoo Games run into financial trouble and Team6 got look for a new publisher to finish the game.

J/k - I posted in that wishlist thread (I used a different name in that forum) asking for a "death from above" feature like Demolition Racer. Team6 said it might be a Steam achievement.  Sadly, I never ended up buying the resulting game, so I don't know if it was used at all.   :'(

http://web.archive.org/web/20101122155314/http://flatoutjoint.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=2206.0

I like this post:  :D    October 09, 2010, 03:15:51 PM

I just did a little survey to see which game has more players online, Blur ( little over 4 months old ), GRID ( 2 1/4 years old ) and Flatout 2 ( 4 years old ). I did this survey at about peak online time, Saturday 12:30pm pacific time. A good time to catch EURO and US players online.

Blur 35 players
GRID 154  players ( that rank, non-rank and private and added 5 full 12 players hosts to the count )
Flatout 2 stock: 63 hosts - 189 players
Flatout 2 carpack3: 30 hosts 102 players

Between stock Flatout 2 and our modded Flatout 2 with carpack 3, that's 291 players online. More than Blur and GRID put together. That pretty good for a 4 year old game.

LUNITIC_WILL

i wonder if nordic games has any interest in the series? so far so good for them
"one shall stand, one shall fall" Optimus Prime 1984-present

Zebulon55

I like this post:  :D    October 09, 2010, 03:15:51 PM

I just did a little survey to see which game has more players online, Blur ( little over 4 months old ), GRID ( 2 1/4 years old ) and Flatout 2 ( 4 years old ). I did this survey at about peak online time, Saturday 12:30pm pacific time. A good time to catch EURO and US players online.

Blur 35 players
GRID 154  players ( that rank, non-rank and private and added 5 full 12 players hosts to the count )
Flatout 2 stock: 63 hosts - 189 players
Flatout 2 carpack3: 30 hosts 102 players

Between stock Flatout 2 and our modded Flatout 2 with carpack 3, that's 291 players online. More than Blur and GRID put together. That pretty good for a 4 year old game.

Hell, Flatout 2 stock had as many players as grid & blur, with an average of 3 players per host. Wreckfest gonna be around a long time......

Also, team6's site says Flatout C&D has a good fan base despite all the haters. Maybe I should have bought it way back when. ::)

Purple44

Also, team6's site says Flatout C&D has a good fan base despite all the haters. Maybe I should have bought it way back when. ::)

Those that paid $30 on release day got ripped off by Strategy First for forcing Team6 to release a beta.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

If we could of beta tested Flatout5 before it got release ( I ask, but Strategy First would not give the permission ) and Team6 was give enough time to finish Flatout5, then we would of gotten a decent enough Flatout 2 type game. Team6 did get some patching to make game better after release but online was still buggy.

This is my favor derby pit in Flatout5, watch out for the tornado!

I hope some day we will see a derby pit on ice\snow in Wreckfest. 

« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:24:19 PM by Purple44 »

Frisker

I loved the ice tracks in Flatout 1 <3

Also we actually have ice roads in Finland in winter too, I've never been on one myself though since I live in the southern part of Finland.. :P

i5 2310, 2.9Ghz
GeForce GTX 750 ti, 2Gb
8Gb's RAM

Zebulon55

Doh! Flatout C&D is still $30!!!!!!
Gas Guzzlers Extreme only cost me one third of that!
GGE was so good, I bought the DLCs as well.