Author Topic: Manual Transmission Mechanics  (Read 1623 times)

Laalbz

Hey Bugbear doods.

I recently managed to fix the key mapping problem I was having with my logitech f310 and g27 since the last big update. I physically unplugged the f310 leaving the g27 plugged in and discovered that allowed me to program mapping with the g27 once again.

I instantly mapped gears for a manual transmission and after a few trials with the stick shift I had some recommendations.

1)transition between gears is incredibly sloppy and slow. It feels like every car actually has a worn out clutch. (That would actually be pretty cool in the final version of the game for a cheap starter car mind you!)
I've personally driven my brothers 4 speed manual '72 Chevelle wagon (which is an absolute beater and very similar to the American cars in the game) and the transition between gears is much faster and succinct than the vehicles in the new build of NCG:W. I suggest shortening the time between gears simulating a fresh clutch (even a half worn out clutch would be spectacular!). Refer to any mechanic and I'm sure they'll agree.

2)I highly recommend the addition of a mappable clutch. Having a working clutch under my left foot would add heaps of realism and a whole new world of control for those who can use them.

3)...how about designing a big heavy beast of an American wagon like the 72 Chevelle Wagon??

I can't wait to see where you guys take this near masterpiece of a game!!!

Really great work so far!  8)

AMD FX-8350@4.3mhz
ASUS STRIX R9 Fury
16GB DDR3 1866mhz

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks for your in-depth and thoughtful feedback, really great to hear you're liking what we're doing with the game.

I completely agree about the clutch, while we're happy about the initial implementation there's still quite a lot of room for improvement. What we currently have is a physically correct clutch but since the current implementation is somewhat lacking the clutch is functioning in a somewhat sporadic fashion depending on the gear, throttle position and torque range. Because of various factors we needed to tune the clutch to give quite a bit of slip at the moment so it's not surprising that it feels like a worn-out clutch for you. We're aware of the issue and in future we definitely want to improve how the clutch works as well as add dedicated racing boxes with quick shift time, etc. Manual clutch is planned as well.

I guess that Chevelle would be quite a beast in derby :-)
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

sam223

Manual clutch is a must. I quite like the short delay though. Although its a bit of a issue with a H-shifter (you simulate the delay yourself in real time,no delay needed here). Good for pads and keys though,stops people slamming into reverse in less than a second in order to avoid being part of a pileup.

The more to keep people stuck in the back of other cars longer, after a crash, the better, imo. Would love to see some sort of mechanic for metal stuck together, so you have to really thrash the engine, just to separate 2 cars after a big crash.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Cono

Manual clutch is a must. I quite like the short delay though. Although its a bit of a issue with a H-shifter (you simulate the delay yourself in real time,no delay needed here). Good for pads and keys though,stops people slamming into reverse in less than a second in order to avoid being part of a pileup.

The more to keep people stuck in the back of other cars longer, after a crash, the better, imo. Would love to see some sort of mechanic for metal stuck together, so you have to really thrash the engine, just to separate 2 cars after a big crash.

+1

Wheel support could be better.
Now 240 degree rotation works best and all above (eg. 540 degree) are more or less unusable.
Maybe handling is designed for XBOX controllers ATM.

It's very hard to handle cars when you once lose grip.
Reducing gas/accelerator won't help enough?
Maybe manual clutch will fix this problem?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 12:51:28 PM by Cono »

C2S

I agree the gear change delay is perhaps a bit long at the moment, although it would be far more tolerable if you could sort of "queue up" the gear change inputs on sequential MT. Currently, if you have recently changed a gear, there's a brief delay until you are allowed to make another change. If you attempt another gear change during this period, your input will get ignored, in which case you are probably standing still and revving the engine against the limiter for some time until you notice the game isn't going to engage your desired gear.

Example: R -> N , delay , N -> 1). It takes a while to do this transition and get moving. :-)

I'm thinking those using controllers with the H-shifter unit are at a bit of an advantage here (at least in certain situations), as the H-shifter effectively lets you, not only queue up the desired gears so that they get engaged as soon as the delay allows, but also select the desired gear directly. On sequential, if you crash, you have to do 4->3 , delay , 3->2 , delay , 2->1.

By the way: directly mapping gears to normal controller keys and buttons makes the game shift to neutral as soon as you let go of the button, which I assume is due to the way the Logitech H-shifter works. You might want to consider a simple "sticky gear" tickbox next to these (in the controller buttons config menu), which negates this behavior and keeps the gears engaged this way engaged.

x4fab

I've just registered here to request a manual clutch! And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Abiding Dude

I am fine with the shift delay when using a game pad, but the delay is very annoying when using a manual H-shifter with a steering wheel and pedals because as stated, the delay is already being physically represented when the player shifts.  Also a clutch variable would be awesome to have with the g27 controls.  Thanks!

jombo23

Hey guys, I also agree a full on manual clutch needs to be added to the game, as well as checks to insure the clutch is disengaged before the car will shift in to the new gear.

You could also possibly make it so that you can shift it out of gear, but not into the new gear, while the clutch still engaged, just like a real vehicle.

The rest of the game is so nice and realistic, this one "feature" just ruins everything about the manual transmission in the game, and i hate automagic transmissions in games, especially when driving offroad.

Love the rest of the game guys, please just fix this up!

Laalbz

---BUMP---

Still no clutch. We're dying for it BB
AMD FX-8350@4.3mhz
ASUS STRIX R9 Fury
16GB DDR3 1866mhz

Janne Suur-Näkki

INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

Majatek

That's awesome to see it's added! Hopefully you'll also add mechanics such as damaging your car for as long as the wrong gear is selected if you try to shift without using the clutch, resulting in a DNF as the drivetrain would end up being completely damaged.
YouTube - Twitter

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPbRnpxjmm8

Having problems with purchasing NCG? Contact support@bugbear.fi

I moderate forums & break games