Author Topic: Original Sandpit - What's the Deal?  (Read 8021 times)

BrianUK

I messaged Janne recently regarding the current state of Sandpit. He got back to me last night, but then left me hanging when I asked if the actual lines of the track had been altered or if it felt alien because of the lack of trackside objects which provide us with our braking points, turn-in points and personal speed checks. Can I have an answer to this, anyone at BB? To me and other drivers it's sad that Sandpit has been left in this state of limbo and we seem to have had no real indication (Janne said visually, which could mean many things) as to whether it's just the scenery that's being changed or if it is the track as a whole. As has been stated, you wanted the communities input, but we can't give input if nothing is being shared with us, especially on something that the community considered perfect in its original guise.

If it is just how realistic the track looks that needed changing i.e. surface colour/texture, then are the likes of Tarmac and Gravel going to see the same treatment? Will Sandpit 1 see that treatment too, as it has been under construction for a long time and it would've seemed more prudent to overhaul a track that was far from finished when it first appeared in our track lists. Then you would be allowing us to retain the 6 main tracks for clean racing servers and the other 4 for testing. Currently, on Ben's server at least, we have been doing Tarmac/Gravel and that's it, because Sandpit 1 started crashing the server at random times, which is already getting stale as these are tracks we have been pounding round for the last 18 months.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:05:43 AM by BrianUK »

• St. Jimmy

I got to say I have hard time to see when I'm on the track and when I'm not on the line likely because there are no track side objects showing the racibg line. Everything feels so open and you start to cut too much easily and that way the car flips easily. Physically it feels harder now to control some corners which is nice.

Please bring back the danger in the second last corner :D
    Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
    GTX 1070 8GB
    16GB CL9 2133 MHz
    750W PSU
    Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Fanatec CSR

Cono

I got to say I have hard time to see when I'm on the track and when I'm not on the line likely because there are no track side objects showing the racibg line. Everything feels so open and you start to cut too much easily and that way the car flips easily.

Yes, there should be more objects.
    That's the track where I struggle a lot, almost all the time.
    Constant spinning and roll over on the roof.
    I also got lost one time :D

BrianUK

Bump. Can anyone hear me? Is this thing on?

• Hunter

Do we even know why the Sandpit track was scrapped? Like what was the actual reason for removing a track that was fairly complete and people liked?
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz
    MSI x99A Raider
    MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB Twin Frozr V
    16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 2400MHz
    Creative Sound Blaster Z
    Windows 10 64bit

Keras

This was my favorite track before the update and now it lost all of its appeal. The many objects are a very important part of the tracks in wreckfest. They clearly set it apart from all the other racing games we have nowadays.
    Then they also made that curve over the hill at the finish a lot smoother/wider which takes away all of the danger you felt before when going over it.

err

Surely there was some conflict between new game engine and that track and to make it still playable they had to strip it for now.
    I am sure it is just temporary.

Purple44

Bugbear been quiet so far about what going on with the orginal Sandpit track. A track I thought was Bugbear best design track so far.

I thought at first Bugbear did not have the new PBR art work ready to go when Build #7 got release and we will see stuff added back on to track in next Build. Then I learn Bugbear actually change the layout of the track somewhat. Now I'm worry we will not see the original track come back in next Build. :(

We fought hard to get the ROCK put back on the track and now is gone again!!  :o

Changes to the Sandpit track between update # 3 and # 4

Bugbear, please give us our ROCK back!!!! Please!
    Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

St. Jimmy

I don't have anything against how the Sandpit currently looks. It just needs objects and THE ROCK back to get the feeling again.
    Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
    GTX 1070 8GB
    16GB CL9 2133 MHz
    750W PSU
    Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Fanatec CSR

DeadMeat

Well I don't know about the rocks, but the track is way too flat now. It needs these hills/bumps back again:

i5-4670, GTX660Ti 353.30, 8Gb, Windows 10 64-bit build 10240

BrianUK

I don't have anything against how the Sandpit currently looks. It just needs objects and THE ROCK back to get the feeling again.

The tarmac section also needs thinning again. It's just rubbish the way it is atm.

dbs213

I liked everything from the last Sandpit version, just like the one from the FlatOut prototype but much more refined. Better to save the mining and quarry equipment for the other unfinished Sandpit track.
    My Specs: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz | 8GB Ram| Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | 1TB Hard Drive
    ======================================
    "Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae (1968 - 2007)

ThomasMink

I always liked Gravel the most, but the original Sandpit was the track I felt was probably the best designed and one that future tracks should at least try to meet in terms of quality.

I agree with everything mentioned. The rock. The dangerously unflat terrain. The narrowing of the tarmac.
    It also feels very empty. There's almost nothing on it now, where the previous version had tons of tires, loaders, concrete barriers, a banner showing the start/finish..

It's really weird to think that the 'under construction' Sandpit1 feels more complete than this track does now because this track felt the most complete out of all of them previously.
    « Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 09:27:02 AM by ThomasMink »
    Mink's YouTube
    ----------
    My aged PC: AMD FX-6200 (3.8 GHz), 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 560, Win7 64-bit
    Oh.. and keyboard control

Frisker

DeadMeat's pictures tell what it's mostly missing. Plus as Brian said, the tarmac section is too wide, I loved it when it was narrow road, if you wanted to overtake there it took actual driving precision, and the next right hand turn was dangerous too if you went too fast(forward variation).

I want the old sandpit. Please Bugbear? Even my cat is sad about it

Not actually my cat, I stole the picture from google. lol

i5 2310, 2.9Ghz
    GeForce GTX 750 ti, 2Gb
    8Gb's RAM

Purple44

Even my cow sad about it! 

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel