Author Topic: Original Sandpit - What's the Deal?  (Read 7827 times)

BrianUK

But still no response from anyone who can clear anything up >.>

Daystar

But still no response from anyone who can clear anything up >.>
Most of them on Vacation now... not even Tero is around.
But I am real curious as well of course.

WorldofBay

i'm also very much interested in the 'why'
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 660ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Keyboard racer inside!

Quote from: Roy
i laugh everytime i see somebody pulling on WorldofBay to overtake clean.
biggest mistake ever.

Quote from: sam223
Poor planning is a big problem for a lot of EA titles
like fifa, simcity, battlefield, ...

Cono

DeadMeat's pictures tell what it's mostly missing. Plus as Brian said, the tarmac section is too wide, I loved it when it was narrow road, if you wanted to overtake there it took actual driving precision, and the next right hand turn was dangerous too if you went too fast(forward variation).

I want the old sandpit. Please Bugbear? Even my cat is sad about it

Not actually my cat, I stole the picture from google. lol

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:30:35 PM by Cono »

Adenru

Sandpit is unbelievably lame now.

Big Ron

Yeah, there have to be more track-side objects and stuff to crash into. The Tech Demo shows how unbelievable dynamic the engine is and being able to handle hundreds of dynamic objects. ATM it´s way too open and you can cut track-sections heavily.

Also, I would like to see the Trucks and Bulldozer being put at the track side and not staying directly on track. It´s quite frustrating when a group of cars is ripped apart just because some cars are stuck at the construction side-vehicles on track.
CPU: Intel i7-3770 @ 3,4Ghz + Scythe Ninja 3-cooler, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1600 Mhz , GPU: Gainward GTX670, HDD: Samsung 830 Series SSD 128GB, WD 1.0TB, Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, PS: BE Quiet BQT 550W, OS: Windows 7 64-bit, LCD: Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24" FullHD, Wheel: Log. G25

Keras

Also, I would like to see the Trucks and Bulldozer being put at the track side and not staying directly on track. It´s quite frustrating when a group of cars is ripped apart just because some cars are stuck at the construction side-vehicles on track.
But that`s exactly why they are there :p
They are obstacles you have to evade or get squished.

DeadMeat

The Tech Demo shows how unbelievable dynamic the engine is and being able to handle hundreds of dynamic objects.
Well actually it's not the same engine anymore, it has been rewritten twice since then.  ;)
i5-4670, GTX660Ti 353.30, 8Gb, Windows 10 64-bit build 10240

Purple44

The Tech Demo shows how unbelievable dynamic the engine is and being able to handle hundreds of dynamic objects.
Well actually it's not the same engine anymore, it has been rewritten twice since then.  ;)

Twice? The ROMU game engine got over hauled last summer, then Bugbear spent the last 12 months retweaking the physics, adding Derctx11 and Physically Based Rendering.

You maybe thinking Bugbear had rewritten things between Build #6 and Build #7, but Build #6 just did not have the physics fully tweaked yet, like the tire and suspension physics.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Sandmann

I really liked the old Sandpit. It was a difficulty or not so easy track, but that was the charm.
Now u have a very wide track with a lot of shortcut options. A Track, which forgive many mistakes. Its so lame. And yeah, its not a final track, but the old Sandpit seemed very final, why a change?
I hope for an old Sandpit comeback.

Verdacy

The only thing I didn't like about the old version was the gigantic rock at the top of the hill. It was completely blind, and felt really out of place. I'm all for humongous obstacles, but a fraction of a warning would be much appreciated.

(Yes, yes, you eventually memorize the track and know to avoid it, but seriously, not being able to see an obstacle until it's too late is poor design.)

Otherwise, I largely agree with what everyone here has said.

St. Jimmy

The only thing I didn't like about the old version was the gigantic rock at the top of the hill. It was completely blind, and felt really out of place. I'm all for humongous obstacles, but a fraction of a warning would be much appreciated.

(Yes, yes, you eventually memorize the track and know to avoid it, but seriously, not being able to see an obstacle until it's too late is poor design.)

I guess 99% here disagrees with you about the rock. We even demanded it back and got it!
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Purple44

I guess 99% here disagrees with you about the rock. We even demanded it back and got it!

We even had a poll:

Changes to the Sandpit track between update # 3 and # 4

I like a track with some risk to it. And after one race, you not going forget that ROCK is there.  :P
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

DeadMeat

Twice? The ROMU game engine got over hauled last summer, then Bugbear spent the last 12 months retweaking the physics, adding Derctx11 and Physically Based Rendering.

Well, it wasn't just tweaking:

New simulator-grade physics engine with advanced tire and suspension geometry simulation.
New DirectX 11 rendering engine with realistic physically based materials and lighting.

So I would count build 7's game engine as a new one. :)
i5-4670, GTX660Ti 353.30, 8Gb, Windows 10 64-bit build 10240

Janne Suur-Näkki

I think it's mostly down to semantics. The latest iteration of our engine introduced in Build 7 we launched in June can be considered 'new' as well due to major improvements of the engine that make the most difference to you guys. However, the core of the engine still remains the same as we introduced last summer, so in strict sense it's still the same engine, though. The new engine from last summer had a new engine core + specific new components that were required but the renderer and the physics core remained the same as before, whereas the engine revision used in Build 7 has major new parts such as completely overhauled (vehicle) physics engine and new renderer technology.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 06:19:45 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO