Author Topic: Collected skinning info (skins.vsks etc.)  (Read 8485 times)

sam223

Can you shed any more info on the paint layer olli (not the textures but the RGB swatch) and whether it is possible to remove it all together?
You may remember me attempting to create a transparent base swatch earlier this year , only to find out that its not possible....

Since then ive been digging around with the car model. And found that the whole car model + wheels? + windows is packed inside the body.vhcl.
Found that i can remove association with individual shared textures i.e windows, from the model.Resulting in pink missing texture  (will possibly rename the driver/seat texture so each chassis uses a different driver/seat texture in the future) .And found that removing the base swatch association from the skins.vsks results in a red (missing?) swatch.

So my question is, is there anyway to get the car body to behave the same as the windows on the model ? No base swatch.
Would i need to do this on the model itself or is there another file in the hierarchy dictating which group gets the base swatch and which doesnt.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:11:25 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Olli Teittinen

Car skin uses a completely different shader than the rest of the car. The detail about which polygon uses which shader is assigned within the model. It's not possible to make the car skin use the window shader as the system isn't designed to allow that kind of flexibility (as making body parts invisible has no real use. Better to hide them from the model instead).

sam223

Car skin uses a completely different shader than the rest of the car. The detail about which polygon uses which shader is assigned within the model. It's not possible to make the car skin use the window shader as the system isn't designed to allow that kind of flexibility (as making body parts invisible has no real use. Better to hide them from the model instead).

Cheers Olli. So no feasible way to do this without changing the actual model?

I.e rotten sills+floors with visible holes

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 05:41:12 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad

Olli Teittinen

You can put small holes into the texture as black with alright results as long as you remember to also add the holes into the specular map (the simple grey channel in _s). Any bigger rust, cracks etc. will look silly if it's done into the texture and always better to do those into the model.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:55:35 PM by Olli Teittinen »

sam223

You can put small holes into the texture as black with alright results as long as you remember to also add the holes into the specular map (the simple grey channel in _s). Any bigger rust, cracks etc. will look silly if it's done into the texture and always better to do those into the model.
Thanks olli for the info. Will have a try tomorrow and post results.

rwb

Has anyone done much detail work with the _n file yet? Trying to create some trim bits but not sure how green and alpha channels are supposed to combine to create a map...

lobsterfran

Has anyone done much detail work with the _n file yet? Trying to create some trim bits but not sure how green and alpha channels are supposed to combine to create a map...

Had a play with it a while ago. Left me more confused than ever. I did manage somehow to create some indents, not sure it's possible to create sticky-outy bits though.

Mazay

I did some experimenting months back while writing the guide. It's kind of tricky to make normals manually.
Easiest way seems to be to use tool to generate normal maps from heightmap (black & white image).

Online converters:
http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/
http://www.smart-page.net/smartnormal/

Nvidia photoshop tools: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop
AwesomeBump: http://awesomebump.besaba.com/about/

Heightmap I made in photoshop and Normal map generated with Normal map online.

After conversion with my nmap_red_to_alpha.bat and breckfest.

Edit: Added normal map picture
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 07:47:18 PM by Mazay »

rwb

Thanks Mazay, figured I had to be missing something. First I've heard of normal maps but it all makes sense now.

Mazay

You're welcome. That's also first normal map I have ever created so I am too pretty new to this. Also the tools I found are just first I came upon.
Share if you'll figure out something.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:31:27 PM by Mazay »

Purple44

In setting up new robber skins, I found some of the skins assign to the 10 style skins has change from what Mazay post in post #1.  :o

Old Build:

02_european. (Mini)
1. earlyacc_black.vhcp    Skin10_C5
2. earlyacc_orange.vhcp  Skin8_C5
3. earlyacc_blue.vhcp  Skin9_C5
4. earlyacc_yellow.vhcp  Skin2_C5
5. earlyacc_red.vhcp  Skin1_C5
6. earlyacc_orange.vhcp  Skin3_C5
7. earlyacc_green.vhcp  Skin1_C5
8. earlyacc_green.vhcp  Skin5_C5
9. earlyacc_orange.vhcp  Skin6_C5
10. pink.vhcp  Skin7_C5
earlyacc_silver.vhcp  Skin2_C5
earlyacc_silver.vhcp  Skin7_C5
earlyacc_green.vhcp  Skin1_C5.

Build #9:

02_european. (Mini)
1. earlyacc_black.vhcp    Skin10_C5 *-
2. earlyacc_orange.vhcp  Skin8_C5 * take color of skin10
3. earlyacc_blue.vhcp  Skin8_C5 *-
4. earlyacc_yellow.vhcp  Skin2_C5 *   take color of skin 8
5. earlyacc_red.vhcp  Skin2_C5 *- 
6. earlyacc_orange.vhcp  Skin3_C5 *   take color of skin 2
7. earlyacc_green.vhcp  Skin1_C5 *-
8. earlyacc_green.vhcp  Skin5_C5 *     take color of skin 1
9. earlyacc_orange.vhcp  Skin7_C5 *-
10. pink.vhcp  Skin7_C5 *                  take color of skin 7

Found something strange going on now when swapping skins. When I replace one skin style, I get same skin showing on another car.

Style 1 and 2 -  same skin
Style 3 and 4 -  same skin
Style 5 and 6 -  same skin
Style 7 and 8 -  same skin
Style 9 and 10 -  same skin

Anybody have an idea what going on? I'm I doing something wrong?
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Axarator

In setting up new robber skins, I found some of the skins assign to the 10 style skins has change from what Mazay post in post #1.  :o

Old Build:

02_european. (Mini)
1. earlyacc_black.vhcp    Skin10_C5
2. earlyacc_orange.vhcp  Skin8_C5
3. earlyacc_blue.vhcp  Skin9_C5
4. earlyacc_yellow.vhcp  Skin2_C5
5. earlyacc_red.vhcp  Skin1_C5
6. earlyacc_orange.vhcp  Skin3_C5
7. earlyacc_green.vhcp  Skin1_C5
8. earlyacc_green.vhcp  Skin5_C5
9. earlyacc_orange.vhcp  Skin6_C5
10. pink.vhcp  Skin7_C5

Build #9:

02_european. (Mini)
1. earlyacc_black.vhcp    Skin10_C5 *-
2. earlyacc_orange.vhcp  Skin8_C5 * take color of skin10
3. earlyacc_blue.vhcp  Skin8_C5 *-
4. earlyacc_yellow.vhcp  Skin2_C5 *   take color of skin 8
5. earlyacc_red.vhcp  Skin2_C5 *- 
6. earlyacc_orange.vhcp  Skin3_C5 *   take color of skin 2
7. earlyacc_green.vhcp  Skin1_C5 *-
8. earlyacc_green.vhcp  Skin5_C5 *     take color of skin 1
9. earlyacc_orange.vhcp  Skin7_C5 *-
10. pink.vhcp  Skin7_C5 *                  take color of skin 7

Found something strange going on now when swapping skins. When I replace one skin style, I get same skin showing on another car.

Style 1 and 2 -  same skin
Style 3 and 4 -  same skin
Style 5 and 6 -  same skin
Style 7 and 8 -  same skin
Style 9 and 10 -  same skin

Anybody have an idea what going on? I'm I doing something wrong?
Maybe a name is linked in the files.
Like the Style 1 will say style 1 in that file, and then when it loads the game, it auto-corrects some error and calls both Style 1.
Processor: Intel Core i4130 @ 3.40GHz 3.40GHz
Ram: 8Gb
HHD (Where Steam is installed): 2TB HHD
SSD(Where browser and poop is): 111GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX 960 OC Strix edition

sam223

The duplicates are as intended. skins.vsks (file which details which texture is loaded for which skin slot) became 01.vepa,02.vepa etc within data/vehicles/'chassis number'/part/paint
If you inspect each .vepa, you can see that they are referencing the same texture when there is a duplicate in game. These files are also protected,so you cannot modify them and join a vanilla server.

I did bring this up when build 8? (November) first launched,and its the reason ive stopped painting skins. Because you are limited to 5 (duplicated twice for each) and 1 for the new chassis (duplicated 10 times) and cannot be fixed.

http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,8342.msg79873.html#msg79873
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:09:55 PM by sam223 »

Purple44

Thanks for your post Sam. Ya this will be a problem doing custom skins if we can only do 5 per car and we get double of each custom skin.  :(

I will check with Tapio and make sure Bugbear aware of the problem doing custom skins.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Tapio Vierros

Some background: We made it easier for us (and for modders in the future) to add content to the game. However, this made it also easy to accidentally mess up multiplayer ids for cars and parts, which would cause problems. As such, we added the data check which hopefully reduces bugs and crashes in mp. However, I recognize it's rather strict at the moment and I'll see if I can exclude the skin stuff. At some point we'd want modders to be able to drop their content in some folder (possibly different from core data) and have the game automatically pick it up without interfering with the core data, but the details are not fleshed out.