Author Topic: Collected skinning info (skins.vsks etc.)  (Read 12158 times)

Axarator

Some background: We made it easier for us (and for modders in the future) to add content to the game. However, this made it also easy to accidentally mess up multiplayer ids for cars and parts, which would cause problems. As such, we added the data check which hopefully reduces bugs and crashes in mp. However, I recognize it's rather strict at the moment and I'll see if I can exclude the skin stuff. At some point we'd want modders to be able to drop their content in some folder (possibly different from core data) and have the game automatically pick it up without interfering with the core data, but the details are not fleshed out.

Thanks Tapio :)
Processor: Intel Core i4130 @ 3.40GHz 3.40GHz
Ram: 8Gb
HHD (Where Steam is installed): 2TB HHD
SSD(Where browser and poop is): 111GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX 960 OC Strix edition

Purple44

Some background: We made it easier for us (and for modders in the future) to add content to the game. However, this made it also easy to accidentally mess up multiplayer ids for cars and parts, which would cause problems. As such, we added the data check which hopefully reduces bugs and crashes in mp. However, I recognize it's rather strict at the moment and I'll see if I can exclude the skin stuff. At some point we'd want modders to be able to drop their content in some folder (possibly different from core data) and have the game automatically pick it up without interfering with the core data, but the details are not fleshed out.

Thanks for the reply Tapio.

About the skins being duplicated, is there a way to fix that or better to wait for the next Build if out before Feb 6?
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

sam223

Thanks for the reply Tapio.

About the skins being duplicated, is there a way to fix that or better to wait for the next Build if out before Feb 6?
You can fix them by editing the .vepa's but then you wont be able to join vanilla servers,
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Purple44

I thought this be good place to put this post by Dr. Destructo, might help some skinners out there:

I use Crazybump as well, but that is just for creating normal maps. Glossiness is hard to control in Wreckfest because it seems no matter how little you make it, it still just wants to BE glossy. The garage shaders also seem to be different than the track shaders so your car will always be far more glossy in the garage than it is when racing on a track. That is why I tune the textures to control how it will look while racing rather than how it looks in the garage.
The texture file that controls that is the "name_s.bmap" files. The green channel = metalness, red channel = gloss, blue channel = reflection, alpha channel = roughness.
I usually have it all black in the green and blue channel, and the red channel is around 90 to 96% black. Even then it's still very glossy. You can decrease it a bit more by increasing the amount of white in the alpha roughness channel, but too much roughness makes everything too light and flat.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Hi!

Can someone advice me to how I can get a glossiness adjust?

I hope a simple "by the hand" instructions.

I have in use the Photoshop CS6 & CrazyBump.
Nothing Beats Cubic Inches --- Bigger Is Better

Corsair Carbide Spec-03, AsRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer, Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz 6 Mb Cache, 2 x Asus Radeon R9 270X 4 Gb, Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz 16 Gb, Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120 Gb, Acer G276HL, Logitech G25, Win 7 Pro

Mazay

The same pic as earlier with Breckfest channel order.

The roughness channel is bit same as glossiness. Black is glossy.
Car paint clear coat is kind of additional layer of gloss on top of roughness channel. White is the glossy.

If you use Breckfest the channel order will be same as earlier.
If you use official tools the green and alpha channel will be swapped during converting so your .tga should have following order:
Red = Metalness
Green = Roughness
Blue = Reflectivity
Alpha = Car pain clear coat

Breckfest won't generate mipmaps so it's usually better to use the official tools (Build_asset / Bimage)

Hope this helps.

Hi!

How I found the channels in image?

And which program?
Nothing Beats Cubic Inches --- Bigger Is Better

Corsair Carbide Spec-03, AsRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer, Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz 6 Mb Cache, 2 x Asus Radeon R9 270X 4 Gb, Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz 16 Gb, Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120 Gb, Acer G276HL, Logitech G25, Win 7 Pro

Zebulon55

Bump!

Thread's been dead for a year and on page 5, just hopefully making it relevant again.  ;D

Dell Inspiron 17 7720 with Nvidia GT650 graphics. Keyboard control.

Lame, I know.

TT

***Heads up. A lot of the things in the earliest posts are wrong now****

TT

Someone asked for a step-by-step guide for Paint.net

Here are steps to create a skin template for Paint.net

First pick a car that you want to paint and dig through the Wreckfest files and get the skin01_c5.bmap file for it.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Bugbear Entertainment\data\vehicle

You also might want to grab the skin_ao_c.bmap because it shows the outlines of parts better and where everything is.

The cars are found in \data\vehicles\

The paint jobs are found in the \art\ folder for each vehicle.

Here is a list of the cars:

01_american Speedbird
02_european Killer Bee
02_european_01 Killer Bee banger version
03_american Rammer RS
03_american_01 Rammer
04_european Gremlin
05_american Starbeast
06_american Roadslayer
06_american_01 Roadslayer banger version
07_european Boomer
07_european_01 Boomer banger version
08_asian Tristar
09_american Roadcat
10_american El Matador
11_european Bulldog
13_asian Sunrise Supreme
14_american Gatecrasher
15_european Panther
16_european Hammerhead
17_asian Nexus RX
19_american Hotshot
20_european Firefly
21_european Dominator
22_asian Speedemon
24_american Warwagon
lawnmower

First, you need to get the skin01_c5.bmap converted into a .png file by using Breckfest.exe

To do that make a new folder and dump your .bmap file and a copy of Breckfest.exe. Then double click Breckfest.exe

Don't put too many other .bmap file in there because Breckfest.exe chokes on certain ones.

Once you have skin01_c5.png, open it with Paint.net.

At this point you can probably see some faint outlines of parts (templates vary). That part is all of the dirt, scratches, rust etc. that will be added on top of your paint job. You will also see some more solid blocks scattered around. Those are where parts like the chrome bumpers and other things get their textures from.

Now, you need to create a paintable layer beneath the one that you are looking at:
At the top of Paint.net, there is a dropdown menu labeled Layers. Click it and click Add New Layer.

If you look at your Paint.net screen, there should be a tiny window labeled Layers (probably lower right screen).
If you don't see it, hover your mouse over the upper right of Paint.net where that little clock and the round color wheel are. Clicking the item between them turns your Layers window on and off (F7 key will also do this).

Now, in your Layers window, you should see Layer 2 on top and Background beneath it.

You need to drag Layer 2 to be beneath Background. That way, you can put your paint job on Layer 2 and be as messy as you want and the needed Wreckfest stuff will be placed on top of it.

You should also see in the Layers window that Layer 2 is selected now and has a faint blue outline. If it isn't selected, just click it. You can click back and forth between Background and Layer 2 if you want but you should probably leave Background alone.

You might want to rename Layer 2 to something like Paint Me. Just double click it and a window pops up that lets you change things like the name and how transparent it is.

To make things easier to see, I usually paint bucket fill
 Layer 2 the color that I'm going to paint most of the car.

The outlines should be a little clearer now. If they aren't, you might want to open up that other game skin file (skin_ao_c.bmap) which shows clearer outlines.

You can now finish painting your paint job or pasting things on it.

If you ever want to make a top layer invisible so you can see better, just click the little checkbox for it in the Layers window. Just remember to re-select the layer that you want to paint on.

When you are done, do a Save-As and backup your file. You might need to tweak something once you see it in the game.

Now you need merge all of your layers into just one layer.
In that little Layers window, select the top layer. Then go to the top of the Paint.net screen and click the Layers dropdown menu and click Merge Layer Down.

Now you should be ready to export your paintjob to a .tga file.

For the alpha channel, I don't use Paint.net. There is a simple, free program called dxtbmp that only does one thing: it views and imports alpha channels into your .tga file.
http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

For dxtbmp.exe,  first use Paint.net to create a 512x512 white .bmp file and save it. that will be the alpha channel that you use later dxtbmp.exe to import into your saved .tga file.

1. Open your .tga file in dxt.bmp
2. Click the Alpha dropdown menu at the top.
3. Click Import Alpha Channel.
4. Select that white .bmp file that you made.
5. Save

Vin Petrol said he uses some other side program to deal with alpha channels when he uses Paint

Once you are done with your .tga file, you convert it to a .bmap with bimage.exe.

Command line is:
bimage.exe -input skin01_c5.tga -output skin01_c5.bmap

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 07:48:31 PM by TT »

TT

To see it in the game. You need to make a mod.

Wreckfest has a Mods folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Bugbear Entertainment\mods

1. Create a new folder inside that and give it a name like bobsroadcatskin

2. Create a new folder inside that named data

3. Create a new folder in that named vehicle

4. Create a new folder in that called 09_american (don't capitalize.This example is for the Roadcat car).

5. Create a new folder in that called art

6. Dump your skin01_c5.bmap in that folder

7. Start the game and select your mod and restart the game.

8. Choose the Roadcat car and choose No Livery in the liveries section.

You should see your skin on the car.

There are other ways of doing this that allow for multiple skins or new livery overlays etc. but I'll save that for another post.

TT

If anyone wants, I can also post the instructions for using Photoshop or GIMP instead of Paint.net to paint your skin.

Zebulon55

Good info!

It is true that much is out of date here.  We'll need an up to date thread or wiki or something when the game is released.
I still refer to this thread for the specular file info. Note that Breckfest will no longer convert the normal files (skinXX_n.bmap) to png and apparently it switches green & alpha layers in specular files (skinXX_s.bmap)

I still struggle a bit with making the specular files as I want them.
I also go for the showroom finish, because I prefer it and because I'd never be satisfied with my results if I tried to create a rough look.  ::)
Since Bugbear has gone to the paint shop, it's easier to just use their base skin files for the wear, though.
Dell Inspiron 17 7720 with Nvidia GT650 graphics. Keyboard control.

Lame, I know.

Chipmunk

Little update for the layer colors.  This is controlled by the livery skins.

Red = Layer 1
Green = Layer 2
Blue = Layer 3

I believe the RGB values can be mixed together as well to create some interesting fading effects between the colors.
Life is no fun until you're doing it at 200 mph