Author Topic: Tarmac (Forest5) cutting and leaderboards  (Read 3854 times)

Finsku

Can we get more checkpoints or objects out of track to stop cutting?

Example one guy at my dedicated server (when it worked) cutted all places where it's possible and got '57 time with hardcore cutting. It wasn't fair playing so we banned him/her from our server.

Can't remember his name but his time is top 5 in Tarmac reverse leaderboard. It was short name anyway.

Another question is is there coming any changes with displaying top times? Now it shows every class and cars at one leaderboad. It would be nice if you could check top times of different car classes or different cars.

DeadMeat

Well why don't you do the cutting also? :)

The track boundaries should not be too restrictive. Maybe if there could be different checkpoints for different game modes it might work. For example wide boundaries for banger race and narrow boundaries for time attack / clean racing.
i5-4670, GTX660Ti 353.30, 8Gb, Windows 10 64-bit build 10240

Finsku

Well why don't you do the cutting also? :)

I can could but I don't want to. It's not fair to other drivers who are trying to drive best time without cutting.

I understand why checkpoints are so wide because banger racing. But why there isn't example concrete poles which shows where to drive to get checkpoints.. Ofc not every checkpoint should have these 'markers'

KingOfTheCakes

The grassy surfaces really need to be more slippery to prevent cutters. I've tested this on tarmac and Speedway 2 and you can go almost flat on those sections.
Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50 ghz
AMD Radeon R9 270x Sapphire GPU
8gb Ram DDR2
Corsair 750w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit OS

sam223

Offroad surface needs a larger difference in grip. You should only be able to cut at low speed/low rpm.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Finsku

Offroad surface needs a larger difference in grip. You should only be able to cut at low speed/low rpm.

Or make it different than flat. Lumpy offroad is challenging/extremely hard to drive with high speed and there's change to break your car or flip it.

BigPoppa_C

You could have a dual checkpoint system.
The regular checkpoints for determing the players time,
And an area of road where if the player passes through it the laptimes are voided.

sam223

Or make it different than flat. Lumpy offroad is challenging/extremely hard to drive with high speed and there's change to break your car or flip it.
Its already bumpy on oval 2,but it has no effect to handling. You just bounce across the surface like a stone skimming water.Theres as much grip offroad as there is on the circuit,or atleast it seems that way.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad

Frisker

And an area of road where if the player passes through it the laptimes are voided.

That would be one solution, I saw it in another game(Was it NFS: Prostreet, not sure) where if you cut track your time is simply not posted.

i5 2310, 2.9Ghz
GeForce GTX 750 ti, 2Gb
8Gb's RAM

sam223

That would be one solution, I saw it in another game(Was it NFS: Prostreet, not sure) where if you cut track your time is simply not posted.
Its a brutal solution though, sometimes a cut isnt intentional. Better to make it near impossible to cut effectively rather than punish those who cut accidentally. Its like the anti reverse mechanic we have now, it hinders more than it helps. Doesn't stop wrong way driving at all (just makes it slow) and stops people rejoining without driving directly into traffic. Minor plus,massive negative.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:00:09 PM by sam223 »

BigPoppa_C

Its a brutal solution though, sometimes a cut isnt intentional. Better to make it near impossible to cut effectively rather than punish those who cut accidentally. Its like the anti reverse mechanic we have now, it hinders more than it helps. Doesn't stop wrong way driving at all (just makes it slow) and stops people rejoining without driving directly into traffic. Minor plus,massive negative.

It would only be a temporary fix if it was used, you could a certain percentage of  the ofroad are marked.
for example the exit of the hairpin on tarmac, if all four wheels are more than a car width of the track the track then the lap is voided.
Generaly speaking if you do cut accidently, the majority of time you would loose lap time but given the current state of the offroad areas, there is a big margin to be gained

sam223

It would only be a temporary fix if it was used, you could a certain percentage of  the ofroad are marked.
for example the exit of the hairpin on tarmac, if all four wheels are more than a car width of the track the track then the lap is voided.
Generaly speaking if you do cut accidently, the majority of time you would loose lap time but given the current state of the offroad areas, there is a big margin to be gained
Agreed.I think it'd be better to sort the grip levels of offroad surfaces immediately though. Rather than add a mechanic which could later be removed. Probably quicker to do grip for all offroad surfaces than add more checkpoints to all maps aswell.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:17:02 PM by sam223 »

BrianUK

The grip on dirt in general needs heavily reducing. It's far too beneficial to cut the track over actually taking the turns because you just have more grip and going sideways doesn't scrub off so much pace.

It's a shame that people are already cutting tracks and probably telling their friends how amazing they are, but let's be honest, get them on a track to play fair with the big boys and they are exposed faster than a kilt-wearing man in a hurricane. One of the cutters is a guy I had to DQ from two tournament races and then I battered him in a straight up race.

I wouldn't read too much into the boards right now anyway, as the systems are always changing and so will lap times. Start to worry when we hit 1.0 and the boards are wiped and it starts to happen, that's when I'll care.

Purple44

In GRID 1, when I was involved in a tournament, there was a rule we had, "keep 2 wheels on the track". If you get all 4 wheels of the track, then it was considered cutting the track.

If Bugbear could actual track the tires and if all four tires of a car went off road, then lap time would not count. I don't know if this is possible or a lot to set up a system to do this.

In real life, there some gamers that will use any "trick" they can to get fast lap time, be it a cheat or hack. That where it be nice to see a ghost car of player to see what route he used to get lap time. But then you could always hack the car and make it faster, have better grip.

I do agree going offroad should slow your car a bit or roughen up the terrain to discourage cheating track to get better lap times or put in a rock or cement culvert and use it for one end of a checkpoint to stop players from cheating a track big time. I did not like the penalty system put into Shift 1, if got onto the grass your car was made to go slower for 5 seconds. I may of gone wide onto the grass to avoid a wreck ( or may of been shoved onto the grass ) and get penalize twice for it!! This feature stop me from buying Shift 1.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

sam223

Just make the off track surfaces like this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1vaNu19ok8

Very limited front and rear wheel grip.So massive under/oversteer, no brakes, no acceleration. Then if you want to risk cutting you can only go straight at speed with lots of luck and/or skill.