Author Topic: Shorter tracks needed before Build 8 Rolls Out!  (Read 6511 times)

Daystar

Hi guys... so I just came up with an idea today...

I believe we do not have that many short circuit race tracks out yet...
So in my minds idea, I came to a quick observation, that we do not have that many short circuit tracks at hand.
here is one that I so happen to like. pic was taken at the old Baylands Raceway in Fremont. Cal.
I was a child while I lived in Fremont between the ages of like 8 to 13 and one time my mom took all 3 of us kids my brother and sister to
a special day over at Baylands Raceway. they were filming a movie "More American Graffiti" and we sat in the audience bleachers :-D
so glad to be a brief part in an old American interest. "Racing cars" !!! I happened to be wearing an E.T. t-shirt that day... so am not sure if i was in any parts of the movie.
But! At least I was there, and had a cool day I remembered.  ;)

::: Attention :::

This track can also be used as a fig8 Wreckfest, if some straight ways be extended!!!
please BB devs... a least one more short track ok...  :D

Purple44

Thanks for the pic Daystar. Looking at that track, this figure 8 track came to mind for me when you said "extend":

And I took a look at the new stadium 2 oval track and I don't think it take much work for Bugbear to turn new oval track into this figure 8 track with three crossings! :)

I also believe Bugbear plans to make interior area in oval 2 track into smaller banger oval and figure 8 track.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:28:10 PM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

sam223

The ovals in game are huge. +1 for 382 metres = 0.2 miles long or less

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:42:36 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Orbotnive T

I've got nothing against short tracks I'd like that but not more oval/8 types. The 3 crossover speedway 2 modification is a good idea though and eventually using the inner track will get a tighter derby oval/ 8 race

Something over the smallest amount of ground that isn't a circle for a 35 second ish lap with a bit of elevation and tip/fall dangers would be nice imo

Edit: on thinking about it, I'm guessing there won't be a lot of difference between a small 8 in speed2 to the one we have - except for scenery and possibly no ramp in the middle :/ There's still the small oval though
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:40:30 PM by orbotnive »

Daystar

Purple no problem  :D and with your grand idea for 3 crossovers, I absolutely would love to see that realized in our game!
we do not have any 3 point crossovers (danger zones). this is something that Wreckfest needs! is more excitement.

dbs213

For as long as they're not ovals, I'm cool with it.
My Specs: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz | 8GB Ram| Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | 1TB Hard Drive
======================================
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae (1968 - 2007)

sam223

Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad

conso1727

The new speedway has an inner oval and a figure of 8, I hope Bugbear will add those track variations in the future update

WorldofBay

Purple no problem  :D and with your grand idea for 3 crossovers, I absolutely would love to see that realized in our game!
we do not have any 3 point crossovers (danger zones). this is something that Wreckfest needs! is more excitement.

more crossovers do not necerarily mean more danger, in fact it's more the opposite.

talking about an infinite lap amount you can calculate that:

if every car passes the crossover every 12 seconds (small fig8) you have in average in a full pack 2 cars per second and crossover.
this is our unit: cars per second and crossover, let's call it c/sc, for 24 cars.

small fig8 has 2 c/sc.
a three-crossing track has ... three crossings. with the same time of 12 secs between crossover you have 2/3 c/sc.
2/3 c/sc is less then 2 c/sc. but the more the better.
but the time in between is lower usually, looking at purple's layout i'd say it's 30 secs a lap, roughly, crossing 6 times.
24 cars, crossing 6 times in 30 secs with 3 crossovers makes a 4.8 c/sc count.

so if this track really has a lap time of 30 secs (and i'm talking about bot lap time) then it's a very messy one and therefore good track.

but always keep the c/sc count in mind, it says how much destruction you have to expect. and also more junctions = less wrecks per junction, so it's less obstacles on the track, less pileups. for fig8 that doesn't matter as we want high-speed crashes, not pileups normally but maybe you'd consider this a disadvantage.

edit: a 3-point crossover would not change anything in the c/sc count. it's just a longer lap, so you die in earlier lap counts but it's in average the same time like with normal fig8.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 04:20:27 PM by WorldofBay »
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 660ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Keyboard racer inside!

Quote from: Roy
i laugh everytime i see somebody pulling on WorldofBay to overtake clean.
biggest mistake ever.

Quote from: sam223
Poor planning is a big problem for a lot of EA titles
like fifa, simcity, battlefield, ...

HyperXHyperX

more crossovers do not necerarily mean more danger, in fact it's more the opposite.

talking about an infinite lap amount you can calculate that:

if every car passes the crossover every 12 seconds (small fig8) you have in average in a full pack 2 cars per second and crossover.
this is our unit: cars per second and crossover, let's call it c/sc, for 24 cars.

small fig8 has 2 c/sc.
a three-crossing track has ... three crossings. with the same time of 12 secs between crossover you have 2/3 c/sc.
2/3 c/sc is less then 2 c/sc. but the more the better.
but the time in between is lower usually, looking at purple's layout i'd say it's 30 secs a lap, roughly, crossing 6 times.
24 cars, crossing 6 times in 30 secs with 3 crossovers makes a 4.8 c/sc count.

so if this track really has a lap time of 30 secs (and i'm talking about bot lap time) then it's a very messy one and therefore good track.

but always keep the c/sc count in mind, it says how much destruction you have to expect. and also more junctions = less wrecks per junction, so it's less obstacles on the track, less pileups. for fig8 that doesn't matter as we want high-speed crashes, not pileups normally but maybe you'd consider this a disadvantage.

edit: a 3-point crossover would not change anything in the c/sc count. it's just a longer lap, so you die in earlier lap counts but it's in average the same time like with normal fig8.

I'd say destruction is a product of speed and c/sc. Thus, this track will technically have more destruction than the small 8, despite having less crashes.

WorldofBay

c/sc is not accurate but good enough

to get it accurate you have to calculate that the field is packed together at start and so on... that's too difficult, so just let's stay at c/sc. and 4.8 c/sc is very good by itself and doesn't need additional speed advantage ;)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 660ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Keyboard racer inside!

Quote from: Roy
i laugh everytime i see somebody pulling on WorldofBay to overtake clean.
biggest mistake ever.

Quote from: sam223
Poor planning is a big problem for a lot of EA titles
like fifa, simcity, battlefield, ...

Purple44

On a figure 8 track, if distance\time to next crossing is the same distance\time as on a track with just 1 crossing, then you have not increase the odds of getting T-bone. I agree with that.

With 2 more crossings and only adding a small amount of new track to figure 8 track, I think the odds of getting T-bone have gone up.  :D

You do bring up an interesting point WorldofBay that I have not thought about when making my figure 8 track designs, just adding a second crossing, does not automatically mean you have increase the odds of getting T-bone compare to a single crossing figure 8 track.

I did up a pic to help show what you are taking about WorldofBay:

In example #2, there 2 crossing, but distance to second crossing is the same as the figure 8 track in ex #1. So odds of getting T-bone at crossing are the same on both tracks.

In example #3, the distance to next crossing is shorter than distance in ex #2, so odds of getting T-bone have increased. :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:20:45 PM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Keras

Stop it with the ovals already, seriously. We got so many ovals now but some still only talk about more ovals...
What we need is Crash Alley and we are done with short tracks forever. You won`t need anything else.

sam223

Stop it with the ovals already, seriously. We got so many ovals now but some still only talk about more ovals...
What we need is Crash Alley and we are done with short tracks forever. You won`t need anything else.
I fail to see how 2 almost identical speedways is so many. More variety in all kinds of short track design is good for all short track racing fans.
By comparison the 2 fig 8s in game are quite different from each other,yet there is also still more scope for more variety in this style of circuit.
Same with a 'crash alley' style short circuit. A-symmetrical layout for example.

HyperXHyperX

I think he has a point though and I have to agree with him to a certain extend. We currently have two tracks that are in development since a long time, and looking at the Oval 2, we'll get another Oval (small) and possibly 1 or even 2 Figure 8's. I think that's quite sufficient then, although I have to admit that Purple's idea seems brilliant to me: It's a unique design, a 1 and a 1/2 Figure 8, if you will. Allowing for more frequent, yet equally voilent collisions as the current (big) Figure 8.

Edit: Looking at Purple's sketch, the lap time would be over 40 seconds. Just consider that 30s is a good time for the big Figure 8. You add quite a lot of track as well as more and sharper turns. Even then it's roughly the doubled amount (3 times more crossings considering ~1/3 longer lap time) of average devastation.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:43:05 AM by HyperXHyperX »