Author Topic: * * * Asterisk Track * * * crossover mayhem  (Read 2615 times)

Daystar

Hi once again...

So came up with another track idea last night.

However after setting up the scene, and rendering a bunch of pics, I realized the track is to small!
haha just pretend the track is twice the size. also if I do somehow get this into the game someday, I will need to add center lines.

So tell me please, does it suck or it might be pretty cool in the game? got this idea after staring at my asterisk key on my keyboard
and thought why not make a simple asterisk font object, and throw a road  texture onto it. yeah I'm weird but what ever!

I did save this track in my modding folder for possible future usage.
And I will also make the track bigger, it's really easy to do, just drag the borders.

Orbotnive T

:-\ I think I'd need to try it to decide

It might be fun in team race for a while but I think it's bound to get repetitive pretty soon :)

How about a bit of over/under in the middle if that's even possible I'm writing without thinking  ;D

Edit: yeah I'm gonna go think about it, it could make things a bit more strategic and fun :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:53:44 AM by orbotnive »

dbs213

Strange but really interesting idea :o

It'd look better if it was situated in a demo derby bowl.
Like some really huge arena filled with huge crowds, LED screens, neons, fireworks...yeah I'm getting ahead of myself...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:57:17 AM by dbs213 »
My Specs: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz | 8GB Ram| Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | 1TB Hard Drive
======================================
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae (1968 - 2007)

Purple44

How would you keep the player from getting confuse on which way to go?
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

WorldofBay

How would you keep the player from getting confuse on which way to go?

on a track like this it's hard but just make it a uneven number of corners. then the transition's always the same.

if you look at this track, last crossing before finish line is different while the otheres are the same. that's because of the even number. an uneven number is always parseable without any different transition, just always go to the slightly left/slightly right (but always same side) corner and you'll pass all of them.

ah and remember to not only set the checkpoints in those corners, otherwise you could just drive it as a multi-round oval with changing surfaces.
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 660ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Keyboard racer inside!

Quote from: Roy
i laugh everytime i see somebody pulling on WorldofBay to overtake clean.
biggest mistake ever.

Quote from: sam223
Poor planning is a big problem for a lot of EA titles
like fifa, simcity, battlefield, ...

Purple44

I do like the idea of putting all the crossings in one spot, it will make it easy for everybody to get a shot at hitting the leader at the crossing.  :D

Here Daystar track design with one "petal" remove to make it an odd number of pedals:

With just one checkpoint for each turn, like the sandpit track, player could take turn either from the left or the right. If add a second checkpoint would force player to take just one direction for lap to count:

Now what if put a jog in 2 the petals?

The "legs" become a bit of a suicide track. :)  I'm thinking maybe need some pointer walls with maybe an arrow pointing player to the right petal to go to next.

If Bugbear does not tackle this track, it Daystar idea, I will leave it to Daystar to make this custom track when we get track making tools and his call on what design to use.

WorldofBay

the problem on that first checkpoint layout is that you need hard walls around the track because otherwise it's a cutting track, just drive a big oval in reverse (counter-clockwise) and you need 2 rounds to make a lap which is not only faster than driving the actual track, it also is less dangerous!

with second layout you'd need to drive the oval forward (clockwise) which makes it 3 rounds rounds a lap instead of two which is, of course, much slower and it may also be slower than the actual track!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:51:25 PM by WorldofBay »
Keyboard racer inside!

biggest mistake ever.

Daystar

Thank you guys very much for your input on this track idea I made.
and Purple I really dig your ideas! I can create both versions. I like the suicide track one a bit more, it is dangerous indeed  :D

I need to put this in my foxfire bookmarks, so that I do not lose track on this one.

also Purple, on my track... you had asked how would I make it so that it is not so confusing for the player. well I thought about it
and I would probably have some painted arrow textures every 20 feet or so. but that would not help to much, in case say for instance
some one really got t-boned hard, and sends his car in a spin and backwards over several race lines.. he would be really lost.. and the
only way to get his orientation and bearing back, would be to look for land marks, such as a certain tree, or boulder whilst trying not to
be hit by other players... so this track may or may not work out I fear. just have to test someday of course!

Purple44

the problem on that first checkpoint layout is that you need hard walls around the track because otherwise it's a cutting track, just drive a big oval in reverse (counter-clockwise) and you need 2 rounds to make a lap which is not only faster than driving the actual track, it also is less dangerous!

with second layout you'd need to drive the oval forward (clockwise) which makes it 3 rounds rounds a lap instead of two which is, of course, much slower and it may also be slower than the actual track!

Sorry WorldofBay, I'm not following you, where is there a shortcut in my first pic? You have to travel through each  checkpoint in there order or lap will not count. With where I place the checkpoints, your car will have to travel through the middle of track 5 times before you get to cross the finish line and have a lap count.

Can you take my pic show me the shortcut you are referring to?

Purple44

Thank you guys very much for your input on this track idea I made.
and Purple I really dig your ideas! I can create both versions. I like the suicide track one a bit more, it is dangerous indeed  :D

I need to put this in my foxfire bookmarks, so that I do not lose track on this one.

also Purple, on my track... you had asked how would I make it so that it is not so confusing for the player. well I thought about it
and I would probably have some painted arrow textures every 20 feet or so. but that would not help to much, in case say for instance
some one really got t-boned hard, and sends his car in a spin and backwards over several race lines.. he would be really lost.. and the
only way to get his orientation and bearing back, would be to look for land marks, such as a certain tree, or boulder whilst trying not to
be hit by other players... so this track may or may not work out I fear. just have to test someday of course!

Ya getting T-bone in the middle may those your sense of direction, especially if get T-bone twice in a row!! . Maybe you could number each petal, so you might have an idea which petal you heading for next. Or might have to tone it done to 3 petals. I would hope we can keep 5 petals.

Hmmm, each pedal going have something in the middle of the petal for the cars to go around, maybe on this object put a sign with the correct number or paint number on the object itself so see the number as you approach the hairpin turn.

"just have to test someday of course!"

Ya we get into the testing mode of custom tracks, there where the community can help out. The guys at Flatout Joint help me test a lot of tracks and derby pits before we release them in a community pack.  :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:20:08 PM by Purple44 »

WorldofBay

what about a raindow-colored tarmac? chalk painted maybe.
or a kind of indoor rubber ground that's rainbow-colored?

as long as you know where you were you know where to go. doesn't have to be bright colors, could be dull or dark ones, just a continuous rainbow with every petal its own color (yellow->green, green->blue, blue->purple, purple->red, red->yellow (or just orange) would be a good distribution for 5 petals)

hmmm what are the colors called? lime, petrol, purple, bordeaux, orange? :P

shortcut for the track attached.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:36:16 PM by WorldofBay »
Keyboard racer inside!

biggest mistake ever.

Purple44

I get it now WorldofBay. Easy to stop. If not use wall, barrier, fencing, etc and want to leave track open like say sandpit, could dig a ditch between the pedals or just add another checkpoint for each pedal closer to the middle.

Good you pointed this possible cheat out.  :)

Zebulon55

I get it now WorldofBay. Easy to stop. If not use wall, barrier, fencing, etc and want to leave track open like say sandpit, could dig a ditch between the pedals or just add another checkpoint for each pedal closer to the middle.

Good you pointed this possible cheat out.  :)
One word - Explosives. 

*Ka-Boom*
        -Edgar "K.B." Montrose

Usmovers_02

I actually really like this. I love short tracks with high traffic crossings and the best thing about this one is that you're not always turning the same direction. I don't think too many drivers would survive this track :P I'd kill to do this with buses! (please let there be buses in WF...)

Purple44

I actually really like this. I love short tracks with high traffic crossings and the best thing about this one is that you're not always turning the same direction. I don't think too many drivers would survive this track :P I'd kill to do this with buses! (please let there be buses in WF...)

If Bugbear don't give us a bus, I'm sure modding community will.