Author Topic: Steam EA - Grip (Rollcage spiritual sequel)  (Read 6345 times)

KazzyMac

Update Unfortunately the Kickstarter was cancelled, but they're still going ahead with Earl Ass instead. Woo.

http://www.cagedelement.com/grip/

I wonder, does anybody even remember Rollcage here? Or played it? If not, go play it, it's a brilliant old (1998-ish) arcade racing game where you basically drive indestructible invertible tanks. Sits alongside Wipeout as one of the 'must-plays' of the Playstation era, I swear.

So if you guys heard about Formula Fusion (Wipeout spiritual sequel) then some of the original devs of Rollcage are making a spiritual sequel to it. It needs to happen. So give it a look and if you like what you see then back it!

Original Kickstarter, now cancelled: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/169002413/grip-an-intense-futuristic-combat-racer/description
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:52:17 PM by KazzyMac »
My Lam0r Rig:

Corsair Graphite 780T & Corsair H100i liquid cooler
Intel i7-3930K @ 4.2Ghz
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM
MSI GTX980 4G OC, 4GB GDDR5
256GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD & 2TB Samsung SATA HDD
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
27" Asus VS278Q (1ms)
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Needles Kane

Never have played Rollcages, but I have same developer's later game, Firebugs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5njX8ITl-U

dbs213

In a market that's full of overhyped street racing games and mundane racing sims, I think this should happen. Haven't played the original Rollcage games before, but after seeing the trailers I was sold on this.
(here's to hoping Re-Volt gets a spiritual remake as well...)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 07:02:52 PM by dbs213 »
My Specs: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz | 8GB Ram| Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | 1TB Hard Drive
======================================
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae (1968 - 2007)

ThomasMink

Never heard of any of the titles mentioned, but the trailers and screenshots for Grip have me interested.
I'm not sure I can back it on that alone, though. We'll see.

(here's to hoping Re-Volt gets a spiritual remake as well...)
For the longest time, Re-Volt was the only racing game I felt worth having installed on my system (and it still is ...installed on my system. Reading this back I can see how it could be misunderstood. But no, I certainly have at least one other racing game installed :) ).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:42:11 PM by ThomasMink »
Mink's YouTube
----------
My aged PC: AMD FX-6200 (3.8 GHz), 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 560, Win7 64-bit
Oh.. and keyboard control

Purple44

I remember playing Rollcage. Game brought something new to racing games, could still drive car when it is on it top!  :o

A comment from one the Devs, he one the 2 Devs on the team that work on Rollcage:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/169002413/grip-an-intense-futuristic-combat-racer/comments

Creator Caged Element 4 days ago

@voltagex, I think there are some valuable lessons to be learned from that project. It's a real shame. I can't comment on the internal problems they had, but unfortunately they appear to have underestimated the cost of development.

In our case, our funding goal accurately reflects our scope. We have oodles of passion for this game, but passion alone will not make it.
I personally had the pleasure of working with some extraordinarily talented people to bring you Rollcage, Rollcage Stage II and Firebugs. I helped to design and make all three: designing and building tracks, project managed and produced. I have a deep understanding of how THIS actual game is made at a task by task level.

Which is why we have spent considerable time working on a meticulous schedule and risk analysis. We have thought of everything we can - and scheduled contingency for the things we can't think of. The only concession we have made is to pay ourselves minimum wage - and that's where our passion comes in.

Chris and Rob and the rest of the team are also extraordinarily talented people. It will be an honour to continue working with them if we're given the opportunity to bring you this awesome game. Please help share the news if you are able.

-David

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Purple44

I ask a GRIP Dev a couple of questions and got a response. :)

Hi, I would like to know if there will be wheel support or will this be a pad only game?

About online multiplayer, will there be text chat at least in the lobby ( in race would be good too ) so online community can get to know each other and do some BSing while waiting in the lobby?

Thanks

Purple44, who has enjoyed playing Rollcage back in the day.

Caged Element
Aug 16 2015

Hey Purple

Yes, the game will have wheel support

And yes, there will definitely be some kind of chat for players to communicate!

-Chris

Had to send this back in a reply:

When you say "some kind of chat", do you mean it could be VOIP instead of text chat? VOIP has issues on the PC and text chat easier for all to used. Text chat working well online with Wreckfest. You would do well to copy what Bugbear has done with text chat and online overall.

Purple44

I got Chris to carify if there will be text chat in GRIP online:

Caged Element
Aug 17 2015

Hey Purple

I love Wreckfest! I backed the failed Kickstarter and was so happy to see it become successful regardless. Thanks for posting there

When I say chat I mean text chat. It's essential to any game, really ;)

-Chris

:D

crazychris4124

Game looks awesome, 22 days left in the Kickstarter. I put down $42 for the Speed Junkie

Daphunkyz

Woah Rollcage: amazing futuristic racing game. I had only a demo version with always the same track with 2 players to choose but it was really cool.
Happy to see it's isn't forgotten  :)

Olli Teittinen

I loved the Rollcage games, especially Stage II with the Scramble game mode! I've been thinking for years that there'd need to be a new version and just earlier this week a friend of mine linked me to that kickstarter page. No need to even think about backing or not! I really hope they get the money they ask for.

WorldofBay

fan reaction: "You had me at split-screen".

heh... something comes to mind
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 660ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Keyboard racer inside!

Quote from: Roy
i laugh everytime i see somebody pulling on WorldofBay to overtake clean.
biggest mistake ever.

Quote from: sam223
Poor planning is a big problem for a lot of EA titles
like fifa, simcity, battlefield, ...

crazychris4124

Kickstarter cancelled but it will be going into Steam Early Access no later than Nov 30. Here is the email I got.

GRIP Kickstarter cancelled – prepare to race on early access

Posted by Caged Element

Hey loyal GRIP backers.
We apologize for the lack of updates on our Kickstarter page; it's hard to post updates to a campaign, knowing it's unlikely to succeed. 

Yes, we realized a while ago (as did many of you) that things were not looking positive for reaching our funding goal. That said, we continued to push. We released a new action-packed trailer. We did interviews. We tweeted, emailed and posted everywhere we could. Sadly, we just did not receive the exposure we needed to maintain the momentum after you all gave the campaign such a fantastic start. 

Are we disappointed in the performance of the Kickstarter? Sure. 

Is an unsuccessful Kickstarter campaign going to stop us from making this game for you?

The good news is, we have a great plan for moving forward, and we're very excited with the direction we're about to take. We're hoping you'll continue to support us in our journey together. 

Here's the scoop: 
People have been talking about a playable demo or a playable version of GRIP for a while now - ever since we released the first trailer in July. It’s obvious people really want to get their hands on GRIP.
Well, we're going to give you that chance very soon, thanks to Steam early access.
Early access will allow us to truly focus on development, while giving the players the power to change the shape of the game as it's being made.

Community feedback will be essential in GRIP's continued development, and we like it that way. This is how we envisioned this project to play out from its inception, which is why we're so excited about this new plan.
Now, here's where your valued and continued support comes in... 

We've launched a Paypal/Stripe campaign on our website

This campaign has been established in order for you to buy an early access code in advance, as well as receive some bonus goodies for being such great supporters. Funding from this campaign will go directly to developing and bug fixing the current build of GRIP into something more playable and therefore more fun.

This new build will launch on Steam no later than November 30th 2015. We don't need a lot of money to get to that milestone; we just need to pay some outstanding bills in the meantime, which is why we're asking for your support in advance of Steam early access. Your continued support will solidify the backbone of GRIP's development moving forward, and we will greatly appreciate it.

So there you have it, our new direction for GRIP.

You can read more about the new Paypal/Stripe campaign on our website, including features coming with the first playable build, as well as an initial priority list for further development of releases on Steam.

Lastly, we want to thank everyone who backed us on Kickstarter, and for their enthusiasm towards this game's success as well as their undying support throughout the campaign. 

Of course, what update wouldn't be complete without GIFs and some shout-outs?  We've got a whole page full of GIFs for you to look at, some new and some old.  Just a warning: it's quite heavy on bandwidth
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:29:21 PM by crazychris4124 »

Purple44

Thanks for the info Chris. GRIP been Greenlit.  :)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=475116317

You can pre-order here from Cage Element site, like we did with Next Car Game:

http://www.cagedelement.com/grip/

For me this workout better for me than if I had pledge for Kickstarter. At Kickstarter page I would only get to be beta tester at the level I was willing to pledge for.

Now I can pre-order for $20 today and get to play alpha version when it ready.  :)

New video:

dbs213

I saw this one coming. At least it wasn't left behind like what happened to Street Tuning Evolution...

Moral of the story: Never, ever, use Kickstarter.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:23:44 AM by dbs213 »
My Specs: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz | 8GB Ram| Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | 1TB Hard Drive
======================================
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae (1968 - 2007)