Author Topic: Is there anything still missing in Multiplayer mode?  (Read 4914 times)

Purple44

We have had 2 Builds now with Multiplayer mode. We had over a month to checkout the second Build of Multiplayer, so I think it time to take a good look at online mode and do we call Multiplayer good or are there still a few things missing and if anything need to be fix or tweaked?

I took a look at my Multiplayer Do's and Don'ts. thread and I'm glad I can say Bugbear has done the 5 Do's I listed and a bunch more ask for features!!!  I think Wreckfest online features are close to being the best I have seen since I got started racing online in 2005. :D  GOOD JOB Bugbear!! :D

Ok here my list of things still missing or need improving on to make Wreckfest online extra GREAT! In no particular order. 

1. #5. Please give players enough time to finish the race. Minimum time should at least be 30 seconds, 60 seconds is better or let host set the time to finish the race ( 30, 60, 120 or 180 ).

We got 60 second to finish a race and I think this been working good for the 10 lap or less races online. But now we can do 60 lap races or use a mod to do 120 lap races, I would like to see host have an option to increase the finish the race timer to 90, 120 seconds.

2. Option for host to setup a custom tournament like we could in Flatout 2. In Flatout 2 we could do up to a 12 event tournament and make a mixture of racing, derby and stunts.

3. Host start option, random start or use a reverse start order from the previous race. The reverse start order would work good with tournament option.

4. A random track, random car, random mode. The game pick a random track, then random car for all players to use for that race\derby and a random mode like race or derby, last man standing or deathmatch. I really, really would like to see this feature online. I miss the random track mode we had modded into Flatout 1.

5. If player not "ready up" when timer hits zero, players stay in the lobby. We had this in Flatout 2. Player may had to go answer the phone or had to visit the bathroom or get a beer or a Mountain Dew or needed to stretch his legs after an hour or 2 of constant racing. And when you got a full lobby and your buddy get drop from lobby, he may loose his spot when he get back and tries to rejoin.

6. If Reset option is enabled, in a race, car need to stop moving for 5 seconds before reset will work. In a derby, use a 10 second delay before reset works. Reset should be mappable to a button or key on KB.

7. Show a pic of track or arena and show track layout as track is being loaded.

8. Make lobby window taller so all 24 players show in one glance to make it easier for host to know if all players are readied up and all players are done chatting. Thanks again Bugbear for the chat bubble. :)

Dedicated server

1. A player host can stop the count down timer anytime, but in a dedicated server, an admin can find it hard to stop the count down timer. Right now, the only sure way to stop count down timer is to change the track. This is not a good way to stop the timer. A dedicated server admin ( and I would add moderator) should be able to stop count down timer if needed.

Now Admin(s) can stop count down timer if all Admins are unchecked, not ready.

2. A dedicated server need the option to cycle through some tracks\derbys, so server not just running 1 track 24\7, unless host wants it that way, like running just the oval track.

Server software now can be set up with rotation of tracks and derbys.

3. Found out today that if host say has 17 bots, when 7 players join the server, I can't join server and kick a bot. A player has to leave or Heddly had to kick some bots to make room for me to join. Bots should be automatically kick if a player is joining. Not sure if this happens with a player host using bots.

Bots now get kicked when lobby full when a player joins, if players are in the lobby. Wreckfest can't kick bot if host is full and players are in a middle of a race or derby. Bot get kicked when players return to the lobby.

OK guys, you got anything to add?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:07:20 AM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Dillinja187

Not sure if this has been said but it would be nice for the "Lobby" to know that the Host or Admin has balanced teams (msg in chat box like adding admin). Almost every race there are players moaning they thought they were blue but there were actually red, because players can change teams I /balanceteams just before race starts as to not give players the chance to change teams again and unbalance the game again which is great but players may have looked at there own colour 10 secs before server launches and thought "im red" but I or Admin will balance teams 2 secs before launch and it will change said player to green = Confusion

As part of the server message I added when players join it warns about this and suggests to view final team colour on the grid just before you pull away but not all read it etc etc so would be nice that everybody knows that's /balanceteams has been used and to check your team colour

Or just make it another server option where we can turn "allow change team" on and off .

+1 Grid layout for players, reverse as purple44 said but also individual grid place selection

+1 for track cycle on Dedicated

+1 for bigger lobby so we can view all 24p in 1 hit :)

But did want to say about the ready up button, yeah it is kinda brutal and annoying this way but I do think its best or at least better than 3-4 players in your lobby not actually playing taking space when there could be 20 players trying to get on your server.

Great Post Purple44 btw :)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:46:27 PM by Dillinja187 »
Dillinja187 Wreckfest server :- Get Amongst it !

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Dillinja187sServer

HAF-X===i4770k @ 4.5===Dark Rock Pro 2===MSI X-POWER z87===Zotac 980ti AMP Extreme===16 Gb Corsair 1866mhz=== Corsair 1200i PSU===X2 Samsung Evo Pro 256===Phillips 40" 4K monitor 4065uc===Win 8.1

Marky

Just a few ideas from the dedicated server side; (some more may pop into my head later, just being brief);

1. More ports available to choose from, right now it's very limited and it's also using the same default port as many other steam games, if this could be changed, or a wider port range could be introduced, that would help hosts with having multiple servers on at once.

2. I agree totally on the track/event cycle. It would be great if all the settings for each track could be set inside the config, so an admin doesn't need to change from banger to team race etc.

3. Custom modes/scripts - a little advanced, but It would appeal to the modding community without actually having to introduce mods. A few have been suggested which the modding community could have a crack at, i.e. tag mode (tig/tag, whatever you call it-- one person starts as 'it', and have to tag others to join them). Many more could come out of this, such as follow the leader, 'one' person being the target in demo derby, etc. Possibilities are almost endless.

4. Ability for host to change teams/cars of players, AND more crucially an option to 'force players to host car' or something like that. Either that or an option of which cars are allowed in the race, and which class is allowed (in an attempt to eventually get fair races without having to kick/shout at people to change).

5. I realise this is more of a bug, but-- better performance on dedicated servers. Right now it uses a ridiculous amount of CPU, has very little baring to what is going on (same CPU with 20 and 1 player, doesn't make much sense). Further optimisations, if the server could use more RAM to help out the CPU that would be good too, right now it's a huge CPU hog and has no baring on how many people are playing or whats going on ingame (lots of crashes/objects being thrown about).

I'll post more if they come into my head later.

Good job nonetheless!
Join the RaceFest Community!

A community centered around Wreckfest, playing all sorts of racing games and more, with dedicated servers, forums, and teamspeak!

Take a look at our website and signup at: www.racefest.co

Dillinja187

This is how my server runs

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7_5YmyqeAWfcXZ5QXBENjd5a3c

and this is how it runs still functioning normal hosting 24 players and running GTA5

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7_5YmyqeAWfbzR2Sk81cWFpRTg
Dillinja187 Wreckfest server :- Get Amongst it !

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Dillinja187sServer

HAF-X===i4770k @ 4.5===Dark Rock Pro 2===MSI X-POWER z87===Zotac 980ti AMP Extreme===16 Gb Corsair 1866mhz=== Corsair 1200i PSU===X2 Samsung Evo Pro 256===Phillips 40" 4K monitor 4065uc===Win 8.1

sam223

Save race results to external document.
Current session progress info for those in lobby.
Free practise mode (similar to team death match without any points) - players can join session at anytime.
Option to turn off out of bounds/reverse protection.
More than 4 teams in team modes.
Host option for no assists allowed.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740683245

Exo#72

More players? surely could put a slider in so host can maximize his/her rig and connection? sure some of these dutch servers(Dillinjas for example) could hold more. Also not sure on the afk guys being allowed to stay in once race starts, maybe if they were flagged up to the host so he could keep an eye on them and kick if they continue to afk.

Purple44

More players? surely could put a slider in so host can maximize his/her rig and connection? sure some of these dutch servers(Dillinjas for example) could hold more. Also not sure on the afk guys being allowed to stay in once race starts, maybe if they were flagged up to the host so he could keep an eye on them and kick if they continue to afk.

A host can kick afk player if want to or players in a dedicated server could vote to kick a player.

Hmm, in Flatout 2 when there was a kick vote on, all players got message asking if they wanted to kick that player. In Wreckfest, chat window say there kick vote going on, but I think a lot players do not know about right clicking a player's name to vote kick a player. I had to ask the lobby how to vote first time I saw a kick vote going on. Most players not going to bother voting if don't make it easy and actually ask them if they want to kick a player. If player don't vote in 10 seconds, window goes away and count as a no vote.

But right now, if there a host or admin, they can kick anyone without a vote and I'm good with that.

sam223

Free control of gamemodes for hosts.e.g
Score points per lap yes/no
Number of finishing places scoring points 1/2/3/4/5/6//7/8/9/10/11/12
Points scored multiplier (for longer races in tournaments) 1x/1.5x/2x/3x/4x etc
Score points for fastest lap yes/no
Score points for takedowns yes/no

etc etc

as much control as possible really,even if its done via an external file loaded by dedicated server
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740683245

Purple44

Found something missing today while testing Heddly Wreckfest server. We can have only 3 admins that including Heddly as Host. I went to make Zeb a fourth Admin and it was grey out!  :o I could only make him a moderator. A moderator can't change the track or mode, can only kick or ban a player.

Have you other Admins run into the same problem, there a limit how many admins we can have?

Zebulon55

I'm resurrecting this old thread, rather than starting a new one, because it seems the best place to request anew that we have majority vote options for track change and bot adding when then no admin is available on a dedicated server. Several servers are left up and unattended and it would be nice for 1 or more players who find themselves on one of these servers to be able to change tracks and add bots. Like, today I found a derby server up, but stuck on small arena. It wasn't so much fun, one car on a derby field.

Voting for other features would be nice, particularly team play and number of teams.

Also, two more suggestions for the server browser filters:
Add "Hide incompatible version servers"
Add a selection box and tab for Favorite servers.

Thanks.

Purple44

But there some that don't let Steam do automatic game updates, so they would see an empty server list when they go online.

Also when I do Cops and Robbers mod, they would not see my host being listed.  :(

Zebulon55

But there some that don't let Steam do automatic game updates, so they would see an empty server list when they go online.

Also when I do Cops and Robbers mod, they would not see my host being listed.  :(

Then perhaps show what version it is?

Stuntman-Lee

Im sure all of my suggestions have been mentioned above. I had considered setting up a league (with associated website and forum) to run once a month or so, something in line with UK Bangers and the ability to:

Set Grid Positions
Reverse Grid from previous race
Set event tournaments of maybe 4 or 6 races in one session
Export or save race and tournament results
Set points for race result standings and speeder/mad dog/heavy hitter
Include speeder/mad dog/heavy hitter in team races
PC Spec: I5 4670K, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD 7870 MYST. Edition
www.NIBangerRacingSpectator.com
Facebook
YouTube

quad4racing

Add the ability for the host to start the game, but not be placed on the track.
This way the host can take a break an not have to disband the lobby or have a dead car in the starting grid.
I5 3570K@3.4GHz, R9 280X, 8GB Ram, SSD Primary + 2 Disk Raid 0, Windows 10

Purple44

I'm posting element request form over at Steam forum here so Bugbear will see it:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/228380/discussions/0/405691147600617027/?tscn=1454988756

Quote from: element109;405691147601187981
Right now if I set max players to 8 and 8 people join my server cant handle it. But I would like to have 8 cars even if 4 are only bots. As it is now the only way I can control how many people and how many cars is the same maxplayers. If they do what I stated I could have 4 max human players + 4 bots = 8 cars total. IMO 4 cars does not make a good game of wreckfest. This would mean that if I started my server with:
maxplayers=8
bots=8
minbots=4

4 people would be able to join my server replacing 4 of the bots. At that point the server would accept no more players and I would have 4 humans and 4 bots.

maxplayers = maxplayers - minbots

If minbots = 0 is the default setting you would not notice any different behaviour then right now.