Author Topic: Is there anything still missing in Multiplayer mode?  (Read 7730 times)

St. Jimmy

Janne, is there a valid reason why Wreckfest when it goes online, treat the skin files that use vepa files as a modded game so we can't join a stock host or server when using custom skin that use vepa?

vepa files lets the skinners add custom skins without overwriting stock skins and when cars have only 1-3 skins, it let us have more skins to pick from for these cars.  :D
Good question, because editing the actual .vepa files doesn't trigger modded game. Just adding more of them triggers it.
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

RickyB

vepa files lets the skinners add custom skins without overwriting stock skins and when cars have only 1-3 skins, it let us have more skins to pick from for these cars.  :D
Good question, because editing the actual .vepa files doesn't trigger modded game. Just adding more of them triggers it.
Maybe the problem is something like this - For example, if vanilla game has 5 skins for a car but my modded version has 10 slots and uses skin 7 - what skin is the vanilla version (of the other players) supposed to use when it only has 5? The vanilla game probably doesn't know what to do with that? Could maybe choose a random one but I guess BB would have to write some code specifically for that.(?)

sam223

It could revert to a default i guess like it does when its missing a texture. Thats basically what ive done with my mod,packed 25 additional .vepas into the mod and flagged them as disabled (so they dont show up in game). Then when people make their own custom skins they can take control of a disabled .vepa and bypass the anticheat.

2 things id like to see;
1) Export race result to .txt
2)Image texture line within any part file. So you can have multiple versions of 1 part. Multiple driver overalls,clean/rusty engine,different coloured steering wheels,full decal number options (1-999) without wasting parts slots. Same system as is used for rims,but for any part.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Zebulon55

It could revert to a default i guess like it does when its missing a texture. Thats basically what ive done with my mod,packed 25 additional .vepas into the mod and flagged them as disabled (so they dont show up in game). Then when people make their own custom skins they can take control of a disabled .vepa and bypass the anticheat.

2 things id like to see;
1) Export race result to .txt
2)Image texture line within any part file. So you can have multiple versions of 1 part. Multiple driver overalls,clean/rusty engine,different coloured steering wheels,full decal number options (1-999) without wasting parts slots. Same system as is used for rims,but for any part.
Blank to 999. I like to make my own numbers on some skins. 8)

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Janne Suur-Näkki

For the skin thing, RickyB is on the right track - since the data needs to be in sync for all clients it was done like this, i.e. it's not possible for some clients to have more slots than others.

There are some significant changes coming in the skin department.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

Zebulon55

There are some significant changes coming in the skin department.

I figured as much, and so haven't created a skins mod yet.

Will we get to see those changes in a build before release, Janne?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Janne Suur-Näkki

While I cannot share any specifics at the moment, that's the plan.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

RickyB

To be honest, the inability to change parts in lobby made me stay away from multiplayer, because I always felt as if I was making a compromise and could not drive the setup I would have wanted to for the specific track. Leaving the server, changing parts and joining again can result in 'race did already start' or, on full servers, 'server is full - can't join, because someone else took your place.'

Now reading that apparently changing parts in lobby won't come back?
For lobby, changing parts is not planned at the moment for various reasons - but we're confident that the significant number of cars available in the final game will alleviate the problem.
But if want swap suspension or tires (...) and maybe tranny, we will have to leave the lobby to do so?

Changing cars instead of parts cannot and should not be the solution - I guess lots of people, including me, want to drive their favourite car with a setup that fits the track without having to leave the server. This could be solved with various setups for each car...
So will we be able to load different setups in the lobby?

Could we please have some clarification on this? Will there be different setups for each car or do we really will have to leave the server, change parts and (hopefully be able to) join again?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:07:21 PM by RickyB »

JohnBlackhills

Well I'm not sure if this can help but I've posted this idea before about changing parts in mp:

"Hi there guys I was playing some online racing today and there were these situations where one track was gravel and another was tarmac with completly different surface. So imagine that you have your car and you want to use it on all tracks but you don't want to spend a lot of time in garage because you need to change suspension, tires, maybe some parts for better protection (if the next track is more dangerous and you want to have less fast/more protected car) etc... so I was thinking that would be very nice if we could somehow save multiple setup/builds for one car and name them as we want. For example if I'am going to race on tarmac I will chose or "load" tarmac setup for my car and for gravel I will chose other setup. I can't see anything bad about that so I think it will be great and very useful to have this option in game. What do you think."

You know, changing parts in mp is very similar to repair system we had before (before "repair all" button has been added), It can take some time to change all parts and it can increase waiting time before race. So maybe this idea can help with that - you can build different setups for your car and then save it.. and maybe if BB have problem with changing parts in mp then this can be a lot easier becuase its like changing another car (another setup for car) and we already have feature to change your car in mp of course :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:58:36 PM by JohnBlackhills »