Author Topic: Verdacy's Wreckfest Racing League Season 2 - Preseason Discussion Thread  (Read 2940 times)

Verdacy

So, with our first season in the books, I have a few ideas as to how we can change around the second season. I'll start off with a handful of ideas, and add to this post when I have more time. Please review each bullet point, and let me know your thoughts:

• Weekly Scoring - To (potentially) reduce the impact of having a short grid on the scoreboards, I think we could reduce the points scale based on the number of drivers that show. A rough draft I had:
    • <7 = 1/4 points
    • 7-12 = 1/2 points
    • 13+ = Full points
  • Team Races - I want to make team races feel more like you're on a team. Right now, it's more about getting position than getting your team points. I have two ideas on how to improve on that concept:
    • Change # of teams based on # of drivers (to ensure each team has 3+ drivers):
      • <9 = 2 teams
      • 9-12 = 3 teams
      • 13+ = 4 teams
    • Reduce the position points granted and increase the team bonus award:
      • Position Points:
        • 1st = 20
        • 2nd = 16
        • 3rd = 12
        • 4th = 9
        • 5th = 6
        • 6th = 4
        • 7th = 2
        • 8th = 1
      • 2 Teams Bonus Awards:
        • 1st Team = +8 pts
      • 3 Teams Bonus Awards:
        • 1st Team = +8 pts
        • 2nd Team = +4 pts
      • 4 Teams Bonus Awards:
        • 1st Team = +8 pts
        • 2nd Team = +4 pts
        • 3rd Team = +2 pts
  • Figure 8 Races -  To make them feel a little different from the standard Banger Races, I'd like to change the points given for the after-race awards:
    • Mad Dog = +1 pt
    • Heavy Hitter = +3 pts
    • Fastest Lap = +1 pt
  • Rules Changes:
    • Track Cutting - One week, this ended up being a fairly big problem, but it seemed to all but work itself out. Currently, it's allowed. Want to change that? Here's your chance.
    • Weekly Entrants - Each week, I allowed pretty much anyone to join us, regardless of if they were already in the league or not. While I feel that this was almost always a good thing (increased the grid size, got us a few 'permanent' drivers added to the roster), the Week 8 crop was a little disruptive. I feel that we should keep allowing 'random' entrants each week, in the hopes that we'll get more 'permanent' drivers (and to bolster the grid size), but if you don't agree, please let me know. This is everyone's league, after all.

ex.saint

I'd like to see how the math for changing points based on field size would work out. I wonder if that relegates those with good attendance lower in the field. (Perhaps the opposite; just musing here).
Instead of reducing points by a percentage, it may work better to use the current point standings and always reward last place with 1 point, with each position getting more. That would mean first place would still gain more points over 2nd etc. I don't think I'm explaining myself clearly so I'll use an example taking the proposed Figure 8 race points:
1st = 20
2nd = 16
3rd = 12
4th = 9
5th = 6
6th = 4
7th = 2
8th = 1

So, if there were 6 drivers, sixth place would get 1 point (finishing 8th), fifth place would take 7th, and first place would take 3rd.
If only four drivers showed, fourth place (last) would get 8th, third place takes 7th etc. with first place taking 5th.

I think the team race points adjustments are good, but I'd argue that the values should be tailored to field size, too, if you're changing the points for field size. Perhaps 3 teams goes +6/+3 and 4 teams goes +9/+6/+3...

Marocco2

My suggestions are:
-Pause weekends
-Bonus points(mad dog etc.) on derbies
-Little reward who finish 2nd and 3rd in the championship.
-BLUE FLAGS
-Make the championship also on AssettoCorsa XD

I like points scale and team scoring system

Also I'd like some Balance of Performance in some way :D

Marocco2

One more thing: MULTICLASS Competition like LeMans/WEC

ex.saint

My suggestions are:
They don't show the awards on the scoring chart, otherwise they would be scored.
That might work well for team races!

WorldofBay

• Weekly Scoring - To (potentially) reduce the impact of having a short grid on the scoreboards, I think we could reduce the points scale based on the number of drivers that show. A rough draft I had:
    • <7 = 1/4 points
    • 7-12 = 1/2 points
    • 13+ = Full points
  • Team Races - I want to make team races feel more like you're on a team. Right now, it's more about getting position than getting your team points. I have two ideas on how to improve on that concept:
    • Change # of teams based on # of drivers (to ensure each team has 3+ drivers):
      • <9 = 2 teams
      • 9-12 = 3 teams
      • 13+ = 4 teams
    • Reduce the position points granted and increase the team bonus award:
      • Position Points:
        • 1st = 20
        • 2nd = 16
        • 3rd = 12
        • 4th = 9
        • 5th = 6
        • 6th = 4
        • 7th = 2
        • 8th = 1
      • 2 Teams Bonus Awards:
        • 1st Team = +8 pts
      • 3 Teams Bonus Awards:
        • 1st Team = +8 pts
        • 2nd Team = +4 pts
      • 4 Teams Bonus Awards:
        • 1st Team = +8 pts
        • 2nd Team = +4 pts
        • 3rd Team = +2 pts

although i'm not competing here i have a few suggestions about this:
to 1. why not calculate the points by the cars behind you?
1 car behind: 1 pt
2 cars behind: 2 pts
at some point go to 2 points difference, then 3
and an extra point for the winner
then the points would always represent the difficulty of the race and a small grid rewards small points without the need of different scoring.

to 2. how about (a custom mode that rewards points different and then reward) points for the ranking score instead of finish rank?
you score points for:
- slam (major hit) [+1]
- survival lap [+1]
- takedown [+5]
- takedown assist [+3]
- position
all the points in [] can be edited in a custom game mode, just as the team score can be edited. also t-bones, rear-ender and head-ons can get banned, so that every hard hit is a slam and scores a point. since all these hit points only count if the target is an enemy this would give some teamplay aside the positions. team points can get a lot of modifications, like minus points for teamkill or assist on a team member, points for a reset (of course then negative), points for enemy suicide and more.
only the host (so you verdacy) needs a modded file and all players will see the scores correct. random people can join without modded files and since i'm only talking about score modification the mode is still a team race.
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 660ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Keyboard racer inside!

Quote from: Roy
i laugh everytime i see somebody pulling on WorldofBay to overtake clean.
biggest mistake ever.

Quote from: sam223
Poor planning is a big problem for a lot of EA titles
like fifa, simcity, battlefield, ...

Verdacy

My suggestions are:
They don't show the awards on the scoring chart, otherwise they would be scored.

He was referring to derbies, which DO showcase the awards. The reason I don't currently give points for derby awards is that things that contribute to your derby score are also awards... So it's almost a certainty that the points winner will get the awards too. (though, admittedly, the same thing occurs in Banger Races...)

to 2. how about (a custom mode that rewards points different and then reward) points for the ranking score instead of finish rank?
you score points for:
- slam (major hit) [+1]
- survival lap [+1]
- takedown [+5]
- takedown assist [+3]
- position
all the points in [] can be edited in a custom game mode, just as the team score can be edited. also t-bones, rear-ender and head-ons can get banned, so that every hard hit is a slam and scores a point. since all these hit points only count if the target is an enemy this would give some teamplay aside the positions. team points can get a lot of modifications, like minus points for teamkill or assist on a team member, points for a reset (of course then negative), points for enemy suicide and more.
only the host (so you verdacy) needs a modded file and all players will see the scores correct. random people can join without modded files and since i'm only talking about score modification the mode is still a team race.

I was completely unaware that this could be changed! That is DEFINITELY along the lines of what I'd like to do. Can you send me a PM with some additional information? I'd just need to know what files I'm looking for (I'm not at home, so I can't experiment right now).

misterbob

I had a few suggestions to make but never got round to it. It looks like one of them has been suggested a couple of times already (i.e. having set points for 1st-10th and removing the higher scores first when there are less people than this.

I have a couple more ides to put forward though...
  • I'm agreed on lowering the points for individual positions in team races, but I think having a separate points system would be a bit confusing. I think we could just have the same points system as normal races but with 1/2 points?
  • A one-make race each week, where everyone has to drive the same car. There are certain cars are never be used otherwise (European, European Coupe 2). Maybe this could be combined with WorldofBay's idea of a custom event (which sounds like a VERY good idea to me!)

Verdacy

Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know I'm going to have to postpone the start of Season 2 until next week. I got back from my travel yesterday, and was absolutely swamped during those two weeks, so I never really got around to figuring out how I want to set up Season 2. I'll be working on that this week, so that we can start next weekend.

I apologize for the delay. See you guys next weekend!

Spaceface

Just checking in to see if season 2 is a go for today, but i'm not seeing much activity in this thread so I'm assuming it's a no go. Anyway, I'll definitely be there whenever.
Computer Specs:
CPU: 3570K @ 4.4 Ghz
GPU: Gigabyte G1 1070
RAM: TEAM DDR3 16GB 2400 Mhz
SOUND: Soundblaster Z
MOBO: ASROCK Z77 EXTREME 4
SSD 1: OS on OCZ-VERTEX3 120 Gb
SSD 2: Games on MUSHKIN 480 Gb
PSU: Seasonic SSR-650RM

Frisker

Any way possible of season 2 being clean-ish race, with no deliberate spinning etc, except in team races? It'd be more enjoyable for me, and I would definately attend to it since I've gotten my Xbox 360 pad.

i5 2310, 2.9Ghz
GeForce GTX 750 ti, 2Gb
8Gb's RAM

Marocco2

When does the championship start?

Marocco2

I add also this:
A cars will get a multiplier of 1x for position points
B cars 1.33x
C cars 1.66x
D cars 2x

Frisker

Verdacy's been last active on forum on November 25th, so let's see if we're even having a second season.

i5 2310, 2.9Ghz
GeForce GTX 750 ti, 2Gb
8Gb's RAM

Verdacy

Okay, I'm sorry about disappearing, but I'm BACK!

Wreckfest is running better than ever, and I'm upgrading my server this week... That can only mean one thing... VWRL (Verdacy's Wreckfest Racing League) is back too!

I'm pouring over the new content, looking at what's possible with mods, and drafting up new rules. When I get everything figured out, I'll be sure to start a new thread for...

SEASON 2! WOOO!