Author Topic: Hotfix 2015-11-24  (Read 11719 times)

devrygrad09

With these recent fixes, I haven't had any big issues. I am liking the way the car handles, both with and without a controller.

One thing I would like to see is a bigger pay-out for the races: Such as how long the race is, and how many people are racing in the race, or deathmatch.
Windows 10 64 bit

Intel Core 2 Quad Q 8400

GTX 760 video card

Heddly

I agree with sam that multiplayer cheat protection is too overprotective. Especially with maps I don't even know if it really helps to check if content matches to server.
At worst game goes bit out of sync on "cheaters" pc, but would it affect server? Atleast I am not aware how.

On other hand protection makes it harder to experiment with custom maps.

Hopefully a mod manager will be implemented like rFactor2 or the ones used for FO1 and FO2, with a GUI and list of mods to add or remove.

sam223

I agree with sam that multiplayer cheat protection is too overprotective. Especially with maps I don't even know if it really helps to check if content matches to server.
At worst game goes bit out of sync on "cheaters" pc, but would it affect server? Atleast I am not aware how.

Hopefully a mod manager will be implemented like rFactor2 or the ones used for FO1 and FO2, with a GUI and list of mods to add or remove.
Be easier to just check files in use between server and client.As otherwise you'll still have to quit game and reload with a different mod pack should you change server. Unless every server runs the same custom content and someone adopts the role of community mod manager.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

St. Jimmy

Be easier to just check files in use between server and client.As otherwise you'll still have to quit game and reload with a different mod pack should you change server. Unless every server runs the same custom content and someone adopts the role of community mod manager.
Never heard any game use that method. Any examples? Only thing I've seen is that the host can allow some mods. Usually they're client side and don't conflict the game for others. Or naturally host can be open for mods but when someone comes with a broken/conflicting mod, it won't be a good thing. Still you would need to choose the mods before launch.
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Heddly

I was just thinking about saving time between a GUI add/remove program versus searching data folder for files to add or remove manually.

In FO1 and FO2 not all mods were compatible with each other being loaded into the game files at the same time and it would crash.

I hope BB will think about this problem and address it if the promise of modding is going to work.

sam223

Never heard any game use that method. Any examples? Only thing I've seen is that the host can allow some mods. Usually they're client side and don't conflict the game for others. Or naturally host can be open for mods but when someone comes with a broken/conflicting mod, it won't be a good thing. Still you would need to choose the mods before launch.

Rfactor1. Loads all mods installed on game launch. Server has option to check mismatch files (this checks either vanilla or custom content) but it only checks whats in use on the server as a player joins. When track is changed,server checks for mismatch again.
So you can have as much or as little custom content installed. As long as track and car set in use matches server,no mismatch. Server has option to decide which cars/car sets can be used. Mismatch error comes with detail on what files are different/missing.

Some mods might be 1 car,others car sets bundled together.

You can hop in and out of different custom servers and vanilla servers without touching any of your files.

If file matching option is disabled,anyone can join with any car/car set (as long as the track is installed). If player is missing/wrong version of a car it is displayed locally as a 'temp car' (box with temp written on the side) with error detailing what file is mismatched/missing.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 02:17:31 AM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad

Purple44

Rfactor1. Loads all mods installed on game launch. Server has option to check mismatch files (this checks either vanilla or custom content) but it only checks whats in use on the server as a player joins. When track is changed,server checks for mismatch again.
So you can have as much or as little custom content installed. As long as track and car set in use matches server,no mismatch. Server has option to decide which cars/car sets can be used. Mismatch error comes with detail on what files are different/missing.

Some mods might be 1 car,others car sets bundled together.

You can hop in and out of different custom servers and vanilla servers without touching any of your files.

If file matching option is disabled,anyone can join with any car/car set (as long as the track is installed). If player is missing/wrong version of a car it is displayed locally as a 'temp car' (box with temp written on the side) with error detailing what file is mismatched/missing.

This sound like it be a good way to go. But what if you are someone involved in the modding of Wreckfest and may end up having a lot of mods and beta version of mods, could this slow down the loading of Wreckfest? And require more memory to load all them mods?

In my Flatout 2 folder I got over 300 bfs files, but Flatout 2 only loads the bfs files list in the config and patch files.

config:

fo2a.bfs
fo2c.bfs
megaskinpack.bfs
megaskinpackfinalpart2.bfs
megaskinpackfinalpart3.bfs
aiskinpack.bfs
hippie.bfs
FOJ's_Stock_Car_Camera's.bfs
Heddlys_FO2 Stock CustomCar_6_Pack.bfs

patch:

patch1.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Trackpack1.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Carpack1.bfs
FOJs_Carpack2_and_updates.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Updates2.bfs

But this would mean Bugbear packing up the games files into some bfs files and we would have to unpack the bfs files to mod Wreckfest.

If Bugbear did something like rFactor, instead of loading all mods found, maybe have a way to disable some mods you do not want to be loading this time around? Or have a mod folder where Wreckfest check for mods to be loaded and I can keep the other mods I might have, that I don't want to load today, in a different folder Wreckfest would not check.

Hmm, but the mod folder would need to have a sub-folder for each mod. You would not want to mix all these files under one folder, some mod files would want to overwrite a file if had the same name.

Also, as a host, you got 50 different mods in your mod folder, how you tell game which mod or mods you want to host with first today?

About Wreckfest checking files in Build #8, should not the game only check the actually files that the game loads. If game loads all stock files, it should be able to join a stock host even thou there modded files ( copies too ) in the Wreckfest folder that are not being used?

Edit: How should custom skin files be handle online? I join a host and he using some his favorite skins, but I would not want to load his skins if they over write my custom skins. But I might want to load some of them.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:57:41 AM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

PsychOXRat

Edit: How should custom skin files be handle online? I join a host and he using some his favorite skins, but I would not want to load his skins if they over write my custom skins. But I might want to load some of them.
There could be a skin server like LFS has, except here you don't need to buy an account upgrade to do it and just own the game, where you go to a page e.g BugBear account with steam linked to it and upload skins called AM3_XXX to it so that your custom AM3 skin is on the server and is downloaded by all players on a server when you join a server and you download anyone else's custom skins from that server, not sure how it would be implemented but it would be pretty cool.
System Specs: Intel i7-7700K CPU, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX970 from GALAX

sam223

This sound like it be a good way to go. But what if you are someone involved in the modding of Wreckfest and may end up having a lot of mods and beta version of mods, could this slow down the loading of Wreckfest? And require more memory to load all them mods?

Probably not slow it down, unless it made all mods active on loading. Rfactor almost has its own 'mod launcher' built into the engine, because groups of custom cars can be bundled into sets. These bundles of cars are like total conversions of the game. So you switch between bundles and it can change everything,including UI.Can do,doesnt have to. However, its not switching in and out content. You can load a set of cars (lets say sprint cars), load up a track, then pick to race against ai from that set or ai from other sets installed. The same online as a host option.

Can see in this vid some guy switching between sets with the option of 'all cars and tracks'

Successful system imo. Rfactor shipped with less content that wreckfest has currently. As it stands now there are well over 1000 custom cars/tracks for rfactor.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:30:24 PM by sam223 »