Author Topic: Indianapolis Speedrome  (Read 2994 times)

Aerotactics

1) DIRT
2) Figure 8 with no walls!
3) DIRT!
4) Dirt short oval!
5) Something not Tarmac!

I saw something like this track on a tv show once, and I wondered what it would be like to race it. What makes this a good choice? Well, unlike the restrictive walls of the BugBear Figure 8,  this track  allows movement to plan your cross. It also has a short oval, which is also fun to race on, and finally, its 100% dirt! It will give a new edge to racing!

Frisker

Maybe one dirt oval but that's it. We've got enough of ovals for now.

i5 2310, 2.9Ghz
GeForce GTX 750 ti, 2Gb
8Gb's RAM

TheFurNinja

The idea of a dirt oval is what brought me to this game truthfully! :D

I grew up with a 1/4 mile dirt oval in my hometown and went to lots of Friday night races when I was younger.

Beyond the nostalgia of "banger stock car racing" on dirt I think that a dirt oval would be a great challenge to players. Being that taking a corner on a dirt track (and maintaining speed) is much more of a tedious task than on pavement.

Maybe one dirt oval but that's it. We've got enough of ovals for now.
I know I am likely stoking a fire here but why not ovals? Ovals in their own right are very challenging for longer races and dirt ovals especially to this degree.

For me I would love to see at least 3 more types of ovals in this game. I would never request them now (its up to the community and devs to make whatever would be its best fit priority) but I do think there is a place for ovals in this game.

What we already have

Speedway 1: A relatively small and thin oval.
Speedway 2: A mid sized oval and comes with an inner compact oval for smaller cars or really short laps.

What I would like to see

Dirt Track 1: Small oval like shown above, kinda like Speedway 1 but made of dirt
Dirt Track 2: Larger oval much like Knoxville Raceway (shown below). This would provide high speed and very wide dirt racing and it could be really fun with the more powerful American cars in the game.

Speedway 3: A higher speed track meant for the more powerful American cars in-game. This would allow people to finally utilize the top of their 4th, 5th, or even 6th gears and utilize their cars ability to maintain speeds throughout the track (while not being like a super speedway). It doesn't have to be long, but overall allow high top speeds. This could feature things like higher banked turns or longer straightaways.

In the end I know its a pipe dream but I do think that ovals have their place in a game like this.

Anybody with me?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:19:01 AM by TheFurNinja »
Oval Racing simpleton and proud!

WorldofBay

Speedway 2: A mid sized oval and comes with an inner compact oval for smaller cars or really short laps.

What I would like to see

Dirt Track 1: Small oval like shown above, kinda like Speedway 1 but made of dirt
Dirt Track 2: Larger oval much like Knoxville Raceway (shown below). This would provide high speed and very wide dirt racing and it could be really fun with the more powerful American cars in the game.
Speedway 3: A higher speed track meant for the more powerful American cars in-game. This would allow people to finally utilize the top of their 4th, 5th, or even 6th gears and utilize their cars ability to maintain speeds throughout the track (while not being like a super speedway). It doesn't have to be long, but overall allow high top speeds. This could feature things like higher banked turns or longer straightaways.

In the end I know its a pipe dream but I do think that ovals have their place in a game like this.

Anybody with me?

speedway 1 is a very large and wide oval
speedway 2 even bigger but at least sharper turns, small oval is good narrow mid-sized one
i don't think we need any other speedway

a small dirt oval, yes. as wide as inner oval but smaller, maybe with a little shicane on one of the straights. not a oval for speed but one for dirty racing. dirt walls on the sides that make your car flip over when pushed into. the type of track you could fit in a football (soccer) or olympia stadium for an event.
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 660ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Keyboard racer inside!

Quote from: Roy
i laugh everytime i see somebody pulling on WorldofBay to overtake clean.
biggest mistake ever.

Quote from: sam223
Poor planning is a big problem for a lot of EA titles
like fifa, simcity, battlefield, ...

sam223

Mildenhall stadium, UK.Is a short shale oval. Ideal for 24 cars
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/''/52.3691885,0.4234406/@52.3685548,0.4309816,1393a,20y,270h/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

Distinguishing features:
Shale racing surface with slightly raised concrete corner apex's with rumble strips.
2 car wide straights,4 car wide bends
Outer barrier is half steel armco barrier (backed with concrete) then wire and post on top. Pit gate is wire and post.
Inner barrier is concrete/plastic walls (filled with concrete), spaced about 1 foot apart.
Back and home straight both feature inset infield safety/pull off areas.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 04:40:38 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

TheFurNinja

What I would like to see

Anybody with me?

speedway 1 is a very large and wide oval
speedway 2 even bigger but at least sharper turns, small oval is good narrow mid-sized one
i don't think we need any other speedway

a small dirt oval, yes. as wide as inner oval but smaller, maybe with a little shicane on one of the straights. not a oval for speed but one for dirty racing. dirt walls on the sides that make your car flip over when pushed into. the type of track you could fit in a football (soccer) or olympia stadium for an event.

I actually went out and measured the tracks in game.
Speedway 1= ~1/2mi
Speedway 2= ~1/2mi
Speedway 2i= ~1/3mi

These tracks are statistically normal, not large (at least by US standards). Most asphalt ovals are 1/4th mile all the way up to 1 mile. These ovals are nothing spectacular and are not high speed courses, something I feel Wreckfest as a whole would benefit from.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting a "Super-Speedway". That would be way too large and that sort of racing would go against the very spirit of this game. All I am saying is it would be nice to have faster course here. It doesn't have to be any longer or shorter. But personally the idea of finally using all of my gears fills me with giddiness. You could do many things to make a course "Faster": Raise the banks, include longer straightaways or wider turns.

Really I could see lots of fun with a "Martinsville 5/8ths mile" type setup, with all the cars smashing into each other at the end of the long straightaways to make that "paperclip" sharp turn. Here is a photo of the course.

Again I am not suggesting Martinsville as a course. But perhaps an oval with that "paperclip" layout that would allow lots of speed but then you would have to lose it all in the turn again.

Now for dirt a 1/2mi is probably the largest you will ever see ever. And personally I feel any longer and that would be counter productive to the reason why dirt would be special. What I linked before was an example of the very largest I would ever like to see a dirt oval in this game.

But really any dirt track would be much appreciated. That ol dusty, muddy, rough, bumpy, homegrown racing is what brought me to Wreckfest. Not only does dirt fit the "character" of the game but it also provides challenge for the more dedicated racers in the game. Vying for position while having to slide the car around the corner so that instead of flying over the side of the turn (and risking getting banged up pretty badly) you carry smoothly through the entire turn and slide out into another straightaway. It really is one of the more difficult forms of short oval racing in the world.

This would boil us down again to a handful of useful dirt courses. At least a small one and a larger, faster one.

A great example of a really small course is what was mentioned here
Mildenhall stadium, UK.Is a short shale oval. Ideal for 24 cars
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/''/52.3691885,0.4234406/@52.3685548,0.4309816,1393a,20y,270h/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

Distinguishing features:
Shale racing surface with slightly raised concrete corner apex's with rumble strips.
2 car wide straights,4 car wide bends
Outer barrier is half steel armco barrier (backed with concrete) then wire and post on top. Pit gate is wire and post.
Inner barrier is concrete/plastic walls (filled with concrete), spaced about 1 foot apart.
Back and home straight both feature inset infield safety/pull off areas.
This look like a lovely little course and a really rocking good time for all sorts of folk. This would fit the "small" end quite perfectly.

Other than that I am not demanding anything from the devs on any tracks they should or should not make. I am just here suggesting what I feel would not only make this game more desirable for more people, but also providing extra challenge and it even fits the "dirty banger racing" scene quite nicely. I feel that ovals have their place in this lovely game.

P.S.
Nobody has answered my question about why ovals would be a bad idea or why they are even against them in the first place. If any of you anti-oval guys have your reasons please do tell, it would make your arguments stick more in my mind.
Oval Racing simpleton and proud!

BrianUK

I could sum up my thoughts on ovals in one word said multiple times - boring, boring, boring, boring, boring.

Let's all turn in one direction constantly, yay, fun!

To me, an oval is an oval, whether it is wearing make up, has vertical corners or 16 mile long straights. It's just an oval. While I wouldn't be against a dirt oval, do we really need 600 variations of an identical layout? Besides, chances are we'll get a multitude of ovals once modding tools come along. But for the base game, we need at least some basic variety in layout. If the devs waste all their time on ovals, we'll have nothing else. Even derby arenas seem to have been forgotten.

As a dedicated racer, I feel so unchallenged by the ovals that I simply haven't raced on one since one of the tournaments from January or February, and we don't even include them on our track lists for current tournaments, nor in the current track rotation on the server.

sam223

I could sum up my thoughts on ovals in one word said multiple times - boring, boring, boring, boring, boring.

To me, an oval is an oval, whether it is wearing make up, has vertical corners or 16 mile long straights. It's just an oval. While I wouldn't be against a dirt oval, do we really need 600 variations of an identical layout? Besides, chances are we'll get a multitude of ovals once modding tools come along. But for the base game, we need at least some basic variety in layout. If the devs waste all their time on ovals, we'll have nothing else. Even derby arenas seem to have been forgotten.

As a dedicated racer, I feel so unchallenged by the ovals that I simply haven't raced on one since one of the tournaments from January or February, and we don't even include them on our track lists for current tournaments, nor in the current track rotation on the server.
Different strokes Brian. You predominately race non contact? Im the opposite,cant stand sandpit or endurance non contact.
 Its a completely different experience full contact on the ovals, as the racing line is forever changing with stranded/dead cars.
Ideally each 'environment' could feature a long/short route,special track (oval/8/short loop) and a derby arena. Each with their own personality from the surface,setting and barriers objects.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Purple44

Different strokes Brian. You predominately race non contact? Im the opposite,cant stand sandpit or endurance non contact.
 Its a completely different experience full contact on the ovals, as the racing line is forever changing with stranded/dead cars.
Ideally each 'environment' could feature a long/short route,special track (oval/8/short loop) and a derby arena. Each with their own personality from the surface,setting and barriers objects.

I'm with Brain, oval racing boring, until you turn the oval race into chaos racing with 16+ players online like Sam talking about.  :D

When say dirt oval track, I think more of a bank oval like this track that has a small straightway and maybe have some bumps in the track to make the drifting "interesting". What ya think Heddly? You know of a better dirt track?

Who that guy in the 44 car??
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

WorldofBay

Who that guy in the 44 car??

look in video description: Clint Smith

big ovals are boring in dirty racing, ovals are bad in clean racing especially if you don't have a wheel. small ovals are good.
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 660ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Keyboard racer inside!

Quote from: Roy
i laugh everytime i see somebody pulling on WorldofBay to overtake clean.
biggest mistake ever.

Quote from: sam223
Poor planning is a big problem for a lot of EA titles
like fifa, simcity, battlefield, ...

Heddly

Why all the hate for a dirt oval? There are 3 asphalt ovals already, which are less challenging than a dirt surface.

On dirt you use the throttle and the wheel to turn in the corners, that is what makes it more challenging than asphalt ovals. It becomes more of a driver's race than the car you have.

Lawrenceburg Speedway in Indiana has a 3/8 mile oval with 12% banking with an 1/8th mile flat track for motorcycles, gokarts and quad runners also, perfect for the lawnmowers.

I raced my dirt modified at Florence Speedway in Kentucy, a 1/2 mile track and averaged 90 mph.

A smaller track like Lawrenceburg would fit our cars better IMO. We need at least one dirt oval with a figure 8 added.

We already have folk racing type tracks and derby pits, please give dirt oval fans a place in this game also.

Lawrenceburg Dirt Modifieds

The Good ,The Bad, And The Ugly Of Deep Dixie Racing 2012
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:16:39 AM by Heddly »
I7-2.9 Ghz 8GB, Radeon R9 200 4GB   http://www.moddb.com/mods/foj-community-mod/addons