Author Topic: Local SplitScreen Mode?  (Read 9851 times)

Car Looter

Here I listed some benefits of including Local SplitScreen Mode in the game:

1) Hilarity - Playing experience would be supremely more fun with friends

2) Approachability - The game would be approached more easily when the bystanders could easily join the fun

3) More People Will Try The Game - There is lower threshold to try the game when it can be done at the same time with friends. People who don't usually play video games can be couraged to try driving and maybe get hooked

4) Uniqueness - All PC players who are seeking SplitScreen racing game will automatically find this game - because there are no competitors!

5) Better Sales - People are ready to pay for SplitScreen experience with friends. Why you think Mario Kart is so popular?

6) Community's satisfaction - Fans will feel to be heard over this issue

7) More SplitScreen games in future - All will win if the old tradition of SplitScreen racing will come back to other games too!

You said that you love SplitScreen. So let's make a game we all want to see!  ;)

SpeedDevil

for me if you move it to consoles I would say yes 100% but pc's no it's rare I have friends in the same room has my pc they all at home on teamspeak lol

I would've agreed with you a year back but since the release of the big screen mode in steam I can see myself enjoying PC games in split-screen just as much as on a console :)

TrixX

To be honest I'm more interested in LAN and really good online Multi-player. Something that has declined in quality in the last few years and LAN has almost disappeared with Splitscreen.

Splitscreen would be nice, but having the peripherals and the monitor space on a PC is not usually a common or easy thing to get let alone the effort required to make it from Bugbear's end.

Would a proper client-server setup be possible for the MP though? So many games run a P2P system where the lowest system sets the pace and lag for the rest. With client server the guy with the bad ping usually has much less of an impact.

franky

Splitscreen would be nice, but having the peripherals and the monitor space on a PC is not usually a common or easy thing to get let alone the effort required to make it from Bugbear's end.

I disagree. More and more people are connecting their PCs to their TVs and gaming with 360 controllers. None of those things are difficult or hard to obtain. Personally, I have four wireless 360 controllers connected to my PC just for the purpose of splitscreen gaming.

jusplathemus

there is only one modern racing game which supports SplitScreen - Blur.

And Split/Second, which is a way better game in my opinion. We often play it with my friends since it came out (2010). So, as the matter of fact, I too would love splitscreen mode in the game.

pucko

we do want to include splitscreen.
All I'm saying is that it's expensive and we need to weigh it against other features. So I can't guarantee it to you right now, not until we're further along in development.
You know, Codemasters does split screen again... But maybe they are more skilled than Bugbear?  :P

I'm not saying you have to include split screen, but seriously, you have to include split screen. When I run my friend off the road into a pile of tires I want to gloat to his face. And when he does the same to me, I want to punch him and take the batteries out of his controller. That can't be done on the internet.

Also, if you want to release it for PS4 and XB1 then you really need to do that hard work anyway, so why not design it with that as a possibility? If you have a single player career mode, make it co-op! How cool wouldn't that be?

s0lid

Just an interesting idea if you decide to implement split screen to the engine...
Split screen spectating, divide the screen into 4/6/8 segments then use mouse1 and mouse2 to chance players on each segment.
Control by either moving cursor to desired segment or numerical keys. Individual camera options for each segment would be must, spectate the same player(s) from various angles simultaneously.
I've not seen this in any other game yet, would awesome for projected big screens with FHD projectors.

NeatNit

There is now a poll stickied: http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,969.0.html

All who want this, please vote yes.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 09:55:33 PM by NeatNit »

pucko

You know, Codemasters does split screen again... But maybe they are more skilled than Bugbear?  :P

Seems Codemasters stopped making split screen games since I wrote that. So here's your chance Bugbear, you can be kings of the hill!