Author Topic: Update 2015-12-18  (Read 11510 times)

duggy

great update.the handling gets better and better. Im using a wheel so I guess the folks complaining about the handling must be using xbox controllers or keyboard. the new track is even better than mixed 1. keep the good work coming bugbear

Janne Suur-Näkki

As for the handling, I think it mostly depends on how you're used to driving. I daresay the handling we now have is the most realistic we've had to-date. Of course work still continues on it so it's not final.

Initial testing of the dedicated server isn't really yielding in much of a result.

Still choppy with me and 23 bots, for no real reason other than the multi-core threading probably still isn't activated or working.

That's a shame. Our initial tests with 23 bots the performance seemed pretty good (no issues).

Threading is supported and active, although the server software has been stripped of all unnecessary stuff so it's mostly the main thread that's taking the processing time.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:28:48 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

duggy

Quote from sam223
advanced controller options got reset again,might be something to do with it?

I find with every new build I have to reset the advanced controller options.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:33:23 PM by duggy »

BrianUK

Understeer is dreadful. Can we have yesterday's handling back pl0x. All we needed was the suspension sorting and it was good to go. I don't know why big handling changes don't get given to us to test.
When I go to 3rd gear I have no longer controll of my car. (Cant steer) I have xbox 360 pad.

advanced controller options got reset again,might be something to do with it?

I put my settings back to what I had pre-update, and that is what I based my opinion on. Something has massively changed, and it's not for the better.

Orbotnive T

After a fairly long break since I couldn't control the car how I liked on any slider setting, I can find driveable settings again- woo.

I'm still complete crap at it, up to in the old top 4 days a few builds back but the car doesn't have mandatory and irrefutable snap  over/understeer anymore it seems :D I bet with some more tweaking I can make it better still.

It's a shame and slightly strange how each build makes some peoples experince better, and some worse. I'm not happy about Brians problems at all but if you did set it back I don't think I'd be putting the game on again, like the last few weeks. That's just a statement based on showing polarity of opinion about the two builds.

What's the core changes to the large variation in response to the handling/setting tweaks I wonder, what's going on behind the scenes with it?  It seems to me as if it's about more than preferred default driving style or control more about possible control but maybe I'm wrong.. Well personally it was hell trying to get the car to drive before though and it isn't now. Gamepad.

Marky

As for the handling, I think it mostly depends on how you're used to driving. I daresay the handling we now have is the most realistic we've had to-date. Of course work still continues on it so it's not final.

Initial testing of the dedicated server isn't really yielding in much of a result.

Still choppy with me and 23 bots, for no real reason other than the multi-core threading probably still isn't activated or working.

That's a shame. Our initial tests with 23 bots the performance seemed pretty good (no issues).

Threading is supported and active, although the server software has been stripped of all unnecessary stuff so it's mostly the main thread that's taking the processing time.

As I've mentioned in a PM, I'd invite you to add me on Steam in order to see the issues first-hand and attempt to address them.
Join the RaceFest Community!

A community centered around Wreckfest, playing all sorts of racing games and more, with dedicated servers, forums, and teamspeak!

Take a look at our website and signup at: www.racefest.co

Jake97

This is a nice update thank you :) Any new cars coming into the mix soon?? Had a fair few tracks lately so a car or 2 would be nice :D Again great work

rwb

Updates today feel excellent with a wheel, balance between heavy and light cars is much better, and feels more responsive and fluid. I did try driving with keyboard earlier just to check the new track, and it was pretty tough with the defaults, but I don't have much frame of reference for how it felt previously. Love the track, though.

OutLoud

The driving with keyboard is very nice, thanks!

But the AI is "a little" slow  :o (Tarmac 2)

Purple44

The Muscle 4 on the new Mixed 2 track is a good combo for me. I won 2 races this morning online. :D

But if I wear out them tires, then I have some trouble making the turns!!
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Janne Suur-Näkki

Regarding the handling, you should try with default settings especially if you're playing with a gamepad or a keyboard. This is because there's been quite some fundamental changes under the hood with the cars now being much more balanced as opposed to oversteer heavy like before. Slip angle simulation has also changed, and the tyre now reacts very well even to quite small steering movements. This in turn means that lowering the speed sensitivity in the settings doesn't mean that the car will turn better like earlier on when the car would turn by the tail losing grip, instead the car will just become too twitchy and more often than not actually turn worse because the front tires will go over the slip angle (causing understeer) the moment you touch the stick. The rationale behind steering sensitivity feature is exactly that: it helps you not to exceed the slip angle, thus maintaining grip.

Marky
Sorry for not getting back to you regarding your last message, I haven't forgotten but we've been extremely busy to get the update out before holidays. I'll talk to you soon!

Jake97
Sure! We have a couple of new cars in production but just couldn't get either of them to a presentable shape before the holidays.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 09:33:13 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

Hoppen

Love the new update. Mixed 2 is absolutely fantastic, and handling to me feels okay on an xbox 360 controller after a few tweaks to the settings.
Xeon e3-1231v3, 16GB, GTX 970, Win10 64bit, Xbox 360 Pad

Janne Suur-Näkki

I really like the new track as well, although it would be even better with some elevation changes it's an interesting track, being very difficult to master.

Mind sharing what kind of tweaks? Would love to give them a go just for comparison if nothing else.

St. Jimmy

Sounds good when I read Janne's post about the understeer. It has felt like that when you reach the too much steering that brings understeer, it doesn't matter if you then turn 75% or 100% the wheel, it feels the same and still steers pretty OK. Sounds good but still can't test fot a while.
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Daystar

I really like the new track as well, although it would be even better with some elevation changes it's an interesting track, being very difficult to master.

Mind sharing what kind of tweaks? Would love to give them a go just for comparison if nothing else.

Hi Janne!

Well you know I am a keyboard racer.. but with my settings (tweaks) it's smooth sailing for me, and works like a charm Via Keyboard...
so here goes -

Car: either AM1 or AM3 is suitable!
Drive train: open diffs
Suspension: soft

Parts: all race performance parts of course lol!

Have fun!

Edit: Forgot to mention... no assists on!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 10:39:33 PM by Daystar »