Author Topic: Discussion of the new Mixed 2 track design.  (Read 4141 times)

KingOfTheCakes

I like this track, my only problem with it is that AI aren't smart enough to shunt you into the longer route on that "joker" split. The hairpin's good fun.
Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50 ghz
AMD Radeon R9 270x Sapphire GPU
8gb Ram DDR2
Corsair 750w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit OS

RickyB

You want chaos on track,you need the right set of drivers with the right mindset and to encourage that mindset to others. Random elements on the track don't make for better crashing,just unpredictable driving.

That's not an argument for the game itself and it's what I ment with "Maybe there are drivers/players with attitude, but that's not the game itself." With that logic any game could become that kind of game, because it all depends on players in multiplayer. But what about singleplayer? I think a game has to prove itself in singleplayer. With game-design/track-design (figure 8 for example). We probably have to ask Bugbear what they mean with saying "It’s a motorsport with attitude."
If I could choose between a wall or a ramp I'd go for the ramp probably 100% of the time :). And I think it would make better crashing and some nice flying action :) Unpredictable is what I like - I tried some elimination races on this track and it's awesome! Best track so far for that kind of race. 8)

With single player, to create a more chaotic experience i think the focus should be on the ai. Rather than design tracks that make the ai drive badly,or chaotically. Ai show no aggression currently,they try to avoid you and do not understand rivalries. Could these be implemented? you ram a ai,he retaliates next race, some ai avoid you, others actively aim for you.

As a extreme example, you could design a track that is constant big jumps (too big to land comfortably). That would create chaos on and offline, but it doesn't make for good crashing or skillful contact,just random crashing. I want skillful contact in game, i want to take people out of the race myself, not rely on crashing into people who have made mistakes.

I really hate the jump on the small 8 for this reason,would much prefer that track without the jump.

I don't want the AI to drive badly or chaotically either and I also wouldn't want some extreme Trackmania Tracks. That's not what I had in mind. Just something that gives ME as a player the opportunity to maybe cause some disturbance in the force race or take a ramp instead of a chicane just for fun or because it could be a "risky shortcut" (because I need the right speed and angle or something like that). The AI could do their laps as usual. I don't want to force anyone to do anything including the AI. But I'd like the freedom to do so myself. The AI doesn't have to do so and can go the safe route as usual.

The AI probably needs some more work, true, but more agressive AI that's out for revenge could get on my nerves. I don't know if I would like that and it doesn't give me more freedom as a player. I think track design would be a more elegant way. Maybe finding a good mix of both is the challenge for BB.

The figure 8 might have been a misleading example - I wasn't referring to the ramp but the shape itself. The fact that there's a crossroad that causes some crash action. The big speedway 8 I like even more. No ramp needed there.

Another good example for a design based solution would be the ovals. The big ovals are pretty boring for my taste in SP. The inner oval on the other hand is the only oval I really like so far. Lots of action happening there - no AI behaviour change was necessary to accomplish that. That's a nice design based solution. Just a change of the size of the oval and the outer concrete blocks. No extreme measures. We probably have to thank the community for suggesting this. Or maybe even only you sam? anyway thank you :)

What I had in mind was more something like this... (where BB put a wall at the chicane after the start). It's actually not ramp "instead" of wall, but just an additional ramp to maybe jump over the wall.   

or

An element that gives me as a player the opportunity to try and take that ramp for example. Not forcing the AI to do. That way you can have best of both worlds. You could just try to have a clean race - or try to have some more stunt action, no trackmania. :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 06:26:50 PM by RickyBobby »

Daystar

^This is an awesome idea... I love a bit of danger in my games!                                                                 .

Purple44

An element that gives me as a player the opportunity to try and take that ramp for example. Not forcing the AI to do. That way you can have best of both worlds. You could just try to have a clean race - or try to have some more stunt action, no trackmania. :)

I like your idea Ricky, shortcut with a risk.  :)

Jumps are definitely risky to take in Wreckfest when you to have worry about a bad landing. Also the jump would give you a chance to T-bone a player coming out of the chicane!

I would keep width of jump to a width that only handles 1 car. If 2 cars approach the jump, somebody or maybe both are not going to make that Jump.  ;)
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Ste@mroll

I like this track, my only problem with it is that AI aren't smart enough to shunt you into the longer route on that "joker" split. The hairpin's good fun.

Double-tapping the handbrake to set up that hairpin is what makes or breaks my laps. Currently flirting with 36.8s with the AM1.