Author Topic: Many positive, couple of negative comments to share  (Read 1932 times)

hande11

Positives:
For past couple of weeks, i have been let tires wear and tear a lot in three great tracks: Inner oval variant (thanks for Sam223 & BB to make that variant happen), Mixed 1, Tarmac 2. These tracks work beautifully and have great re-playability.

Personally, i like a lot the driving feel atm with **keyboard**. Have to say i'm a bit biased here as i'm beloging to that group of drivers who like to slide car and let grip get lost in purpose in corners and consider it a great fun itself. With playing keyboard, needed to apply some tweaks making car better to drive and make it slide beautifully. Also i'm driving from inside cockpit view, i think driving in cockpit gives you more "gut feeling" how car behaves and travels in corners, you see visually driving wheel rotation degree and can sense and react quicker when you are loosing a grip to road. This "sandbox" of mine, is a bit weird, since i only drive in purpose with crappy 0/100 tires condition, so totally worn-out tires work best for me, to get looser surface grip on purpose. But i like how things play with these tweaks now.

When thinking game engine and concept, there are few "semi-realistic" racing games out there with combining all of these at the same time: very close-contact driving, soft-body deformations, realistic driving feel with high-fidelity car physics. Damn, and lot of fun stuff going on in tracks. For example: in short Inner oval variant, add 23 opponents and drive for 15 laps. It's no boring event ever and it will always play out differently because of crazy stuff happening in track. Great entertainment :)

If you count out Nascar franchise games, in what game can you hang laps after laps, virtually bumber-to-bumber with your opponent and even in corners both cars are sliding with maintaining that bumber-to-bumber contact when lost grip to road and great sliding physics take place This all happens giving small contact impacts and nudges on each other while lot of other events happening in the track. You have good  control for the car and can position it's position very accurately, even with varying surface grip. It's awesome. Graphics are suprisingly good too.

Bugbear can probably take game to lot of further directions from here within Wreckfest concept with just smallish tweaks (since most time consuming basic foundation is programmed ready) and hopefully they put same engine into good use in sequels too (for example Copfest or some crazy Flatout).

Negatives:
It's bit worrying and many times hugely frustrating, that Bugbear has periods of long radio silence. Makes you wonder, if something has happened to studio (like money run out, personnel reductions, low motivation, some bad licensing lawsuits, whatever..). Hopefully something that BB will clear out soon. Being more active in social media would help BB enormously, to build and keep strong community. I think BB kind of "owes" this to community, on minimum they'd need to say, that they will take break from forum activities for awhile. But not just disappear. Social media can promote actual working title, but it can help to pre-advertise sequels too in future, so it's always bad idea to suddenly stop doing "PR". Having actually two-way-communications (as it has been) would be even better, than one-way PR. Letting any programmer to drop few lines what's going on (not any development promises need to be given from them), would help a lot to keep community active and positive.

This players most urgent wishlist currently:
(this will without doubt, differ a lot from many other players point of view!)
- Sort wheel & gamepad control issues and driving feel with using those devices. For me, keyboard seems to have very good driving feel after few tweaks.
- Add some sort of rearview mirror (enable/disable with option), even if it's not realistic: it will work for close contact driving game beautifully
- More tracks and variations of the same track (assuming: creating track variants is very cost/time efficient. Good example: Inner oval variant, probably was very quick to create and is great fun with 23 AI).
- High priority multiplayer tweaks
- Driving gravel and sand tracks feels like driving on a sticky jelly. Make car to have less grip and slide better.
- Enable repair parts funtion quickly, to help current player base gaming
- (And implement from those million other tweaks and concepts as requested, that will fit BB's vision and $resouces too..)
i5 2500K, 8GB RAMDDR3 1600, Win7 64-bit
GTX 560 DCII TOP, 1GB GDDR5, Controller: keyboard (current generic powersliding biased test setup)
Elwood: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration.. don't fail me now!"

DD-Indeed

- More tracks and variations of the same track (assuming: creating track variants is very cost/time efficient. Good example: Inner oval variant, probably was very quick to create and is great fun with 23 AI).

I have been thinking the same, that why won't they just make couple really good maps and build up a lot of different track variants to them ? That would save up a lot of work from them and please everyone nevertheless. It's pointless to create different map for every track and only have one track on it. I've thinked a lot, that when they made the Inner Oval to Speedway 2-map, they could do overall at least 6+1 tracks on that very same map:

-Speedway 2 - Outer Oval
-Speedway 2 - Inner Oval
-Speedway 2 - Figure 8  (big)
-Speedway 2 - Figure 8 (small)
-Speedway 2 - Speedbowl (Derby)
-Speedway 2 - Inner Speedbowl (inside the Inner Oval area)

Bonus track: Speedway 2 - Drag Strip (outside the map, there's this long straight with power lines, build it up there)

- High priority multiplayer tweaks

This is what have been discussed too, a lot. This game is all about multiplayer; It's already a hit among the players, devs should see it too, they have a ''goldmine'' in their hand with it. I understand, that they did a huge job to bring us that multiplayer to be played, but it hasn't developed any further ever since. So now would be time to at least add these things to it:

-Permanent Ban
-Ability to see banlist and maintain it
-More stable server process and maintaining (It's currently buggy and unstable, it's been suspected, that it has memory leak or catche-issues, that causes a lot of trouble, like server crashes, console input bugs, etc, etc. Sometimes the CPU usage shoots up to 90 % because of it, and that's really alarming.)
-Ability for Mod to change track and gamemode (currently, they only can kick people out, that's rather pointless isn't it ? But they shouldn't be able to touch the server name, message or the password.)
-Mods, Admins and Host should be never thrown out of the lobby, if they forgot to press ready (they only should be put to Spectating-mode. It's frustrating, that you can't have a break, without being part of the game, you'll always be thrown out, if you're not participating)
-Console should log itself, especially, in case of crashing.
-Ability to select multiple performance classes for the cars (Currently, we absolutely hate it, when people come into derbies with lawnmowers, they spoil the whole idea of derbying, by turning it to ''bowling''. We just would wanna put them out from the gameplay, they're caused more harm than fun.)

These are the first priorities with the servers, that should be done, you can always add new features later on. :)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:12:43 PM by DD-Indeed »

Purple44

-Mods, Admins and Host should be never thrown out of the lobby, if they forgot to press ready (they only should be put to Spectating-mode. It's frustrating, that you can't have a break, without being part of the game, you'll always be thrown out, if you're not participating)

In Flatout 2, all players got to stay in the lobby if they were not ready when host started the race or derby. I would prefer in Wreckfest any player not ready be left in the lobby and not be drop.

Like you say, you may need take break or go answer the phone and if the server is full you may lose your spot when you come back to the game. :(  When a joining player join the lobby and spectate, you see their car in the "pit area, would think Bugbear could do the same thing with players that are not ready when race starts.

DD-Indeed, I'm going to post your ideas over here too:

s there anything still missing in Multiplayer mode?
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

DD-Indeed

In Flatout 2, all players got to stay in the lobby if they were not ready when host started the race or derby. I would prefer in Wreckfest any player not ready be left in the lobby and not be drop.

I wouldn't, because, then we would have a lot of players, that would just hang in there to keep the server full and do nothing, just to tease and troll. And we can't kick unactive players out, because, we don't know, that are they having a break or just trolling, it's impossible to know. :)

Heddly

So now would be time to at least add these things to it:

-Permanent Ban

The Host can give a Permanent Ban and maintain it.

DD-Indeed

So now would be time to at least add these things to it:

-Permanent Ban

The Host can give a Permanent Ban and maintain it.

Yeah, but in the console.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 11:32:27 PM by DD-Indeed »

Heddly

This is a pic of a new host from today and still shows a player I banned weeks ago. I right clicked on my name.
edit:

Now I am wondering if the game bans the User Name or the IP Address? You can change user name on steam, now I wonder if the game uses your Steam account?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 11:55:01 PM by Heddly »
I7-2.9 Ghz 8GB, Radeon R9 200 4GB   http://www.moddb.com/mods/foj-community-mod/addons

Purple44

I wouldn't, because, then we would have a lot of players, that would just hang in there to keep the server full and do nothing, just to tease and troll. And we can't kick unactive players out, because, we don't know, that are they having a break or just trolling, it's impossible to know. :)

A host or an admin or a mod can kick a player if needed, and the players can start a kick vote.

If a player has not ready up for the next race after sitting out the last race and not responding to the chat box, Then I think it be OK to kick the player. Player will be able to rejoin host later if he\she want too.

And how often is a lobby full with players? Player not being ready only a problem when the lobby is full, no room for new player to join.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

DD-Indeed

This is a pic of a new host from today and still shows a player I banned weeks ago. I right clicked on my name.
edit:

Now I am wondering if the game bans the User Name or the IP Address? You can change user name on steam, now I wonder if the game uses your Steam account?

We don't have no idea about that too.

DD-Indeed

A host or an admin or a mod can kick a player if needed, and the players can start a kick vote.

If a player has not ready up for the next race after sitting out the last race and not responding to the chat box, Then I think it be OK to kick the player. Player will be able to rejoin host later if he\she want too.

And how often is a lobby full with players? Player not being ready only a problem when the lobby is full, no room for new player to join.

Weeeelll, you're right afterall. :)

WorldofBay

just look at trackmania forever for a good server system.

automatic map rotation, idlekick, spectator spaces, direct spectating by left click on name, return to lobby automatically after race finished even if in spectator mode, track jukebox, ...
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 660ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Keyboard racer inside!

Quote from: Roy
i laugh everytime i see somebody pulling on WorldofBay to overtake clean.
biggest mistake ever.

Quote from: sam223
Poor planning is a big problem for a lot of EA titles
like fifa, simcity, battlefield, ...

DD-Indeed

just look at trackmania forever for a good server system.

automatic map rotation, idlekick, spectator spaces, direct spectating by left click on name, return to lobby automatically after race finished even if in spectator mode, track jukebox, ...

I bumb these too +1