Author Topic: Update 2016-02-26  (Read 20901 times)

Janne Suur-Näkki

The latest update is now live, featuring following changes:

General:

* Implemented an experimental version of part repairing and crew mechanics.
   Note that in order to be able to repair you first need to recruit a crew by clicking the small crew button above the car's icon and then assign your newly-recruited crew to the car.
* Added a new work-in-progress tarmac track.
* Improved all suspension setups.
* Added Racing and Rally tyres in addition to Standard ones.
* Improved off-road surfaces, now they are either more slippery or slow down.
* Improved clutch logic so it's now easier to get the car moving again after spinning out.
* Improved gamepad controller.
* Fixed frequent crashing when joining servers with lawn mowers.
* Improved vehicle paint-job changing speed.
* Improved game start-up time after system boot.
* Fixed graphics settings resetting after system boot.
* Excluded paint-job related files from data modification check.
* Implemented new grass.
* Alpha-to-coverage multisampling for foliage is now always enabled.
* Removed festive stuff.

Server:

* Added basic event rotation functionality for dedicated server.
* Added an ability to log dedicated server's messages to a file.
* Further reduced idle dedicated server CPU usage.
* Dedicated server configuration is from now on read from server_config.cfg file which is not clobbered by Steam updates. The file is seeded from the old initial_server_config.cfg file.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

sam223

Any more info on the 'Improved all suspension setups',Jannes?
We were speculating the other day, are the shocks/dampers in game yet or just springs.True/false?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:37:12 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

conso1727

Good to hear a new update is out. Can we have some anticipation on what to expect on the future build? I'm especially looking forward to driver personalities.

Janne Suur-Näkki

sam223
In this case the improvements refer to the fact that now the suspension setups are more close to reality than ever before.

And yes, we simulate shocks and dampers separately as well as bump stops and bunch of other stuff, here's an example:

The suspension geometry (rods) is also being modeled, it's pretty complex system as whole.

conso1727
You mean AI drivers with different profiles?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:47:44 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

DD-Indeed

In this case the improvements refer to the fact that now the suspension setups are more close to reality than ever before.

And yes, we simulate shocks and dampers separately as well as bump stops and bunch of other stuff, here's an example:

The suspension geometry (rods) is also being modeled, it's pretty complex system as whole.

Great new update, thanks from those stuffs for the servers too, we really appreciate it. :)

And yeah, I talked with Sam about the suspension other day, that it felt quite bumpy on some occations, especially with stiff suspension it felt like the shock absorbers were broken or something like that, so it was very bouncy. :P Haven't tested out the game yet, but I supppose, that you have done improvements on that area too. :)

conso1727

You mean AI drivers with different profiles?

Yes, multiple driving styles for the AI first, and in case actual names (placeholder ones are fine too), so that we can get better immersed in the game and start some virtual rivalries (Jack Benton, wherever you are I'm looking at you)

Janne Suur-Näkki

DD-Indeed

Regarding the suspension setups, yeah absolutely! It's only now that we're more or less happy with how they are, and they should react more 'naturally' in different situations. But of course, work continues.

And sorry for being so slow to reply to your PM, I will get back to you. Just been really busy, I also had a shoulder surgery done recently which has kept me somewhat preoccupied as you can probably understand :D

Janne Suur-Näkki

conso1727
There won't be Jack this time, but yes, we have something like that planned. There are actually already a few AI drivers that are more aggressive, we just had to keep it subtle because they have a tendency of causing major pileups until we refine the logic as to in which situation they will try to ram you or the other AI drivers.

LUNITIC_WILL

i might actually get back into wreckfest with this update. racing on dirt feels like a combo of Flatout 1 and 2 and i love it
"one shall stand, one shall fall" Optimus Prime 1984-present

Adenru

Well, there was time my craputer could run the game very well. That time is over, though I really do not understand why killing perfomance for dx11 gimmick.
Will there be optimisation sometie or do I have to buy better craputer in order to play WF and only WF?
I liked the controls in this build, felt good despite horrible perfomance.

Also, tracks are not FlatOutish at all. That's very, very bad for my taste and I belive for the taste of all the other people who supported you back then you claimed it will be FlatOut spiritual successor, but these new track you added would fit a good GRID, not FlatOut.

catn1p

So cool, thanks for the update!

Shifting delay finally got some attention :) can't wait to get home from work to test it.

I'm curious about the new tires and surfaces too. I'll see ya later on the track guys  :-*

generally driving fair, unless being pestered
                     do you even drift?
Intel i5-4690 @ 3,5 GHz // GeForce GTX 970
8 GB RAM // 100 GB SSD // 2 TB HDD // G27

Daystar

conso1727
There won't be Jack this time, but yes, we have something like that planned. There are actually already a few AI drivers that are more aggressive, we just had to keep it subtle because they have a tendency of causing major pileups until we refine the logic as to in which situation they will try to ram you or the other AI drivers.

Thanks for the update today Janne! it's still downloading on my slow connection. but I wish you a speedy recovery!

conso1727

There are actually already a few AI drivers that are more aggressive, we just had to keep it subtle because they have a tendency of causing major pileups until we refine the logic as to in which situation they will try to ram you or the other AI drivers.
One last question then I will stop bothering, maybe you need to forward this to the programming department:
What are the AI attributes used, if they include preferred car settings AND If it's possible to have them stored in an .XML file or something similar, so that it can be easily modified to create leagues like closed formulas, clean racing leagues or so forth.

The Very End

The new track is fast! Hol-y-shit, broke 200km/h several times.

Question 1: All those different layouts are meant to be used later on? ;)
Question 2: When looking on sun at tarmac 3 track, every color turns grey. Intended?

Suggestion 1: "They will cause mayor pileups" (refering to AI logic)... what's wrong about that? ;) Maybe have an option for a "suicidal / stupid" AI for those who want the caos?
Suggestion 2: Mini icons for the tracks so we know what we drive on
Suggestion 3: Track editor? ;)
Suggestion 4: Option to choose AI cars. "Same as player / car : xx / random" etc