Author Topic: Derby-maps discussion  (Read 2895 times)

DD-Indeed

Since there isn't not much of talk about DD-tracks, created this topic for it.

As we all know, there's already a plenty of racing tracks been included in recent updates, so I think, that since there is still also some players, that are interested about destroying cars, we should not forget about them too.

Currently, there is only 5 derby tracks to choose from and would like to see some new maps for them added in near future. My suggestion would be, that instead of recreating a completely new maps for them, devs could use the already existing racing maps and mod good places from them to include derby-arena in them. :)

You could start with adding derby arena inside the inner oval, that's already good to go for derbying, you only need to modify the startpoints and gamemode, and that's about it. We get a new derby track and you don't have to spend months in building new ones.

Of course, you can do derby specialized maps too at some point, but to please us DD-fans, adding derby arenas to the current maps is currently, more than enough we could&dare to ask. :)

Orbotnive T

I'm not against more derby maps but not sure about building inside existing tracks being a good idea. It still equals work to modify at least some of them for it and may as well be new areas in my opinion. Instead they could open up some of the tracks in general for derby gameplay, that's not the same thing I know and some could be too large for the number of players but choice is choice.

Also cops and robbers play type can come from that- teams on race track in derby mode or - one team kills, the other avoids for points.

I'd like to see something different if there is to be more derby arenas. Some traps and launchers or something. I can enjoy a few derbies now and then and wouldn't mind a few more vanilla places for choice as said. But not too many more vanilla ones, some with a few gimmicks would be nice.

Like a multi storey car park but in a pyramid shape - 3 levels and the ground floor with ramps and no barriers. Or gimmicks like adding a big pressure pad on the floor to press with the car that swings out a pneumatic arm with a snowplough on the end to swipe up anyone in range of it. Drawback is it's right in front a car crusher so you don't want to camp there..

How about a pit in the middle that you can spend time in that repairs your car a little the longer you stay there but the drawback is that if someone touches that pressure pad while you're in there, you're getting launched out or crushed in there.. putting that mangle from the demo in, stuff like that.

I don't think that kind of stuff will happen  :D Sounds too Flatout doesn't it. But sounds like fun too, some kind of differences to rectangular spaces to hit each other in would liven it up for sure

DD-Indeed

Opening up the areas, so you mean free roaming derbying ? That's gonna work only for Cops 'n' Robbers, but you need reasonable limits for derbies.

My point was, that we would have derbies in already familiar surroundings, they only need to add some concrete borders and there you have it. Note, they also can choose places in the maps, where would be bumps or holes, etc, etc to give it some character too.

And that parking lot thingy is indeed Flatout-style, not Wreckfest. :)

Orbotnive T

Yes I see. I am just having trouble picturing where the spaces may be. Not saying it's impossible or a bad idea in itself, only questioning whereabouts they may go and the amount of work to modify.

And if it is easy then they should go for it imo  8)

DD-Indeed

Yes I see. I am just having trouble picturing where the spaces may be. Not saying it's impossible or a bad idea in itself, only questioning whereabouts they may go and the amount of work to modify.

And if it is easy then they should go for it imo  8)

Well the already mentioned Inner Oval-derby map is basically good to go, no question about it. Next place I had in my mind is a place in Sandpits. Either one of those open areas next to those sandy hills or the open area in Sandpit 2, where are those machines, just next to the main straight, behind the small hills.

Also, some industrial area derbies in Tarmac 2 would work too.

So, from current maps, we could get 3 new derby arenas. Let's hear, that what the devs would have to say about this. :P

Purple44

DD-Indeed, your post got me interested. So I took the free cam and explored the track maps. Here pics of some the spots I think might be worthy of turning into a derby pit using an existing track:

This is Tarmac 1, derby on some slippery grass:

This Oval 1 track, have derby around the pit area wall:

This is outside of Speedway 2 track. There a dome shape hill. I'm thinking Bugbear could put a barrier wall around this hill:

This is a valley in Sandpit 1. Do you keep valley floor flat or add some small hills?

This another valley in Sandpit 1, but already has a couple of hills in it:

This is Sandpit 2:

Outside Mixed 1 track. Has some hills:

Bugbear might want make the trees solid:

I have ask Bugbear to give me a big tall mountain for a King of the Hill derby pit:   :D

Here a pic of a King of the Hill derby pit I did for Flatout 1:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:35:35 PM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

DD-Indeed

Thanks Purple! That was just what I also had in my mind. :) Those places look good for really great derby arenas (especially that grass-section in Tarmac 1). They basically need do add some stuff to those places, barriers, maybe some spectator stands and some props and they're good to go. Plus, those could be easy to modify for Cops 'n' Robbers-mod purposes, just remove the barriers and change startpoints, and there you have it. :)

Edit: Investigating more of those places, there would be need to done some changes on some of them, all of them wouldn't look too authentic and are more like modded tracks. But, there is still places on the maps, that would work well, I'll search for them too in a moment.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:38:04 PM by DD-Indeed »

Purple44

I'm hoping some day Bugbear will give us team last man standing mode and the option to do derbys on tracks like we use to do in Flatout 1 and 2. Then we can do Cops and Robbers online without having to have players mod their game to join a Cops and Robber host.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

DD-Indeed

I looked down those places you suggested Purple, but, however, those are unfortunanently way too small for 24 cars or there was some obstacles in the way, that if they would remove those, it wouldn't be the same map again and would break the illusion. So I went to search the tracks again and calculated, that which spots on current tracks could hold 24 cars with ease and have open + flat enough surfaces, and found these 5 places as suggestions:

This angular area in Speedway 1

Inner Oval area as already suggested

Sandpit 1's long sand hill

Sandpit 1's gravel field next to main straight

And finally, this industrial area yard in Tarmac 2

As you can see, those places can hold 24 cars with ease, so it's only matter of adding the border walls, etc, etc.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:34:20 PM by DD-Indeed »

WorldofBay

I'm hoping some day Bugbear will give us team last man standing mode and the option to do derbys on tracks like we use to do in Flatout 1 and 2.

we need different winning conditions for different teams. last team standing alone leads to draw/sudden death after time runs out which is not what we want for cops'n'robbers, we want robbers to win. and we want different sizes/car restictions then like we had derby in stadium with mini euro (robbers) vs sedan (cops).

Of course, you can do derby specialized maps too at some point, but to please us DD-fans, adding derby arenas to the current maps is currently, more than enough we could&dare to ask. :)

i totally agree with derbies at existing tracks as it gives some kind of atmosphere if a location is used in different ways.
but to talk about the specialized maps i would want
- a small round dirt arena, the existing one is far far far too big, it could fit 100 cars and more, maybe the size of flatout arenas even is enough, but that'd need testing, packing it too tight is as boring as wide areas
- an extremely slippery surface derby for overpowered cars (like frozen mud, fine sand, snow or even plain ice) so your car can start sliding uncontrolled at any point if you want too much.
- parking lot derby. parking lots are a perfect place for low-budget derbies as they are a flat asphalt area already existing.

those are themed tracks, a thing this game really lacks. flatout tracks were mostly themed and in flatout2 they were also named by their theme. here at the moment we have with tarmac1, gravel, tarmac 3, mixed 1, mixed 2, stadium (+fig8), small stadium, mudpit and the ovals a lot of generic tracks. only lawnmower derby, the sandpits and tarmac 2 have a theme it seems.
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 660ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Keyboard racer inside!

Quote from: Roy
i laugh everytime i see somebody pulling on WorldofBay to overtake clean.
biggest mistake ever.

Quote from: sam223
Poor planning is a big problem for a lot of EA titles
like fifa, simcity, battlefield, ...