Author Topic: TrackIr  (Read 9713 times)

St. Jimmy

Freelook support is a must for a modern racing game.
Official Wreckfest Discord
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,6GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

golgorod

It is great for a "cockpit-game": Elite, Star Citizen and Project Cars. So it would be great with Next Car Game. But if you are goning to implement it, Oculus Rift also a good device^^

8787gamer8787

I have Track too, but it needs a game mode with first person only and manuel gear...

SkeletonPirate

Any word on if this, or Oculus will be implemented in Wreckfest?
@SkeletalPirate Instagram & Twitter.
Facebook.com/TheSkeletonPirate

Needles Kane

Any word on if this, or Oculus will be implemented in Wreckfest?
While we're setting up Build #6, we're also testing stuff for... let's say "future use."
I don't know about Track IR support.

50footELVIS

Would the developers mind commenting on the TrackIR proposals that members have posted here in the forum?

Wreckfest is quite immersive in cockpit view (especially, the interior design graphics when using the "Look Back" button.)

Including TrackIR would greatly improve the ability to look around (in demolition) when someone is lining you up for the kill.  ;)
Anyone that uses TrackIR in sim racing should agree that having the ability to look into a corner and see the apex during turn-in enhances any race title.
Hence, immersion.  :)
We use our eyes to judge angles while turning in a real car and until technology will devise an eye-tracking hardware/software combo, we rely on TrackIR.
If the developers have not used TrackIR before, please use some of the early access funds to get a pair, contact Natural Point, or watch other YouTube vids such as this one.

(someone posted an early-access vid of TrackIR used in Project CARS.)

Cheers,

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:54:04 PM by 50footELVIS »

Shredmaster

+1 for TrackIR!

Just played the game, runs nicely with triple screen (wasn't the case some months ago, nice optimization). But when I noticed my door is missing, it hit me: TrackIR would be great in this game! To be able to look around at the damage + lean to see behind crushed hood of the car etc.. trackIR is best in flight sims, but it has it's place in racing too.

And in derby arenas it would be even more useful.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:00:05 PM by Shredmaster »

NeoGreendawg

So if I've understood correctly, this TrackIR thing is just some sort of Kinect/PSeye type camera that only tracks your head to turn the camera... So you would have to move your head up, down, left and right while keeping your eyes focused straight ahead on the screen?
I haven't tried it so I won't knock it but it doesn't sound very immersive.

Fisu

So if I've understood correctly, this TrackIR thing is just some sort of Kinect/PSeye type camera that only tracks your head to turn the camera... So you would have to move your head up, down, left and right while keeping your eyes focused straight ahead on the screen?
TrackIR could be nice feature. Aaaand again I ruin your hype with realism  :-X
For racing where Hans is used you really do not has posibilities to rotate the head a lot. Hans is used allmost every racing nowadays and I can say that I will never again jump to racing car without it. I prefer for multimonitors or bigger ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HANS_device
Historic Rally Trophy Finland 2014 winner (co-driver)

Shredmaster

TrackIR will track your head movement with pinpoint accuracy. (120 frames per second) It's mostly used in flight sims (every flight simmer has TrackIR pretty much). It has accelerated movement, so you don't have to move your head much, to look to the sides or even behind the car. You can easily keep your eyes on the screen at all times. On the other hand, it's easy to keep the view centered too.

The point is, that it has been around since 2001 and many many many PC gamers have it, so there should be support. All major racing sims support it. I wouldn't recommend getting TrackIR just for racing, triple screen setup > trackIR, in racing. But it's a nice help, you can look to apex when turning, and it makes cornering easier. In Wreckfest it would be very good, since it recognizes leaning sideways + sitting higher/lower so you could peak behind your smashed hood. Today I played Wreckfest from cockpit view, and couldn't see **** because the hood was smashed. Instantly I though "Man, this game would need TrackIR". Then I could just sit higher in my chair, or lean left/right to better see past the hood.

People who don't have TrackIR often compare it to Oculus Rift, and say that OR is better. Obviously from immersion standpoint, but what they do not think about is:

- Oculus Rift needs a powerful PC, it almost halves your framerate. You need a PC that runs the game solid 120 fps in single screen, to get 75 frames in OR
- It has been estimated that OR customer version will need a high-end GPU and will take advantage of the latest AMD/NVidia tech, not even available yet. It will have higher resolution than current DK2. Probably if you don't have at least Nvidia GTX 980, you can forget it
- ...while TrackIR doesn't affect your frame rates, and works with low-end GPU's just as good
- If you use Oculus Rift, you can't see your keyboard or HOTAS flightstick knobs. So for flight simmers or other people playing games with many keybinds (like ARMA 3 which also supports TrackIR), Oculus Rift won't be an option, they will still use TrackIR for years to come

Some of this is not related to Wreckfest, but adding TrackIR support isn't much of work for Bugbear, while it will be a nice addition for many PC gamers, who already own the thing. I wouldn't suggest that anyone buys TrackIR for just playing racing games, it's not that useful in racing, despite NaturalPoint advertisement. It's just a little helper, but in Wreckfest it would have more use than in most racing games, because of the soft body physics.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:53:08 PM by Shredmaster »

NeoGreendawg

Well, explained like that, I can see why people would want TrackIR so thanks for your reply Shredmaster. I've got a GTX 980 and plan on getting an Oculus Rift once the consumer version is released so it doesn't really appeal to me (even if I'll have to add another GPU for the OR to run smoothly) but I can see why this would be a better solution for some people.

Boozen

Just tried this game again after not playing it since summer 2014.
 Was hoping to see more progress since back then!

I'm a TrackIR5 user and enjoy it in many other race games and bought it primarily for EuroTruck Sim 2.

Please include support for TrackIR in this game. I play in cockpit view 98 percent of the time in any car simulator I've played, that allows it.

killthepoodle

Just wanted to weigh in and say Track IR should be on the list of features as well. It's invaluable in racing games.

Sparky

For a long while now I have been using TrackIR in Wreckfest without any major issues through TIR2Joy and PPJoy. Read below for a crash course install guide but please take the following into consideration:

With the June 30 patch, PPJoy kind of breaks joystick remapping in game with my G27. With the PPJoy device enabled in the Device Manager, I can no longer rebind keys on my Xbox or G27 wheel (hooked up individually or together). To edit G27 binds after enabling a PPJoy device, you will need to disable the Parallel Port Joystick in Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers, reboot, then change your G27 button binds (or just use keyboard binds and use the Logitech Profiler), then Enable the PPJoy device again in Device Manager. Also, to install PPJoy you will need to temporarily enable Windows 7 test mode to install the unsigned driver.

If you have read and understand the above, then you understand this is at your own risk and you may continue if you choose to do so.

1) You can get the files from wherever you feel comfortable.

Here off my dropbox.
SHA1: C36796F60D4AEF299866CDB7109798425C98DA1D
MD5: C6AA5EA3413AE5672B5EE160CEECA6C5

Or TIR2Joy here.
TIR2Joy.ZIP SHA1: A96A2DBF0E659FE43F9DBAEA6D4D65EE0C902318
TIR2Joy.EXE SHA1: 4731887A8EE0B0CB35968C757D6AC6E292B6B5F7

And PPJoy .8.6 links found here (MWLL) or here (code.google.com).
.EXE SHA1: 1e8f831fcebeed49f23c30385754a816333919cb
NOTE: PPJoy flags up false-positives on some of the scanners on virussccan.jotti.org. I had a copy of PPJoy from when the author's website still had it hosted but that is no longer up, and neither are any of the links. It has the same checksum as the code.google link abobe. MSE, Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D on my system did not catch anything. Just figured I'd mention that just in case.

2) Enable Windows 7 Test mode like this or use a program like DESO. Reboot.
Install PPJoy. Reboot if it asks you to. Add 1 PPJoy Virtual Joystick. It should show up in Windows Game Controllers (Set up USB Game Controllers searched in the control panel or start menu).
After you get PPJoy installed, Disable test mode, it can be a security threat if left enabled if you are careless with the things you install on your system.
Start TIR.
Start TIR2Joy.

If you get any weirdness in other games, I disable the PPJoy in the Device Manager. Don't uninstall it, just disable.
Or you can remove it from the "Configure Joysticks" program that PPJoy installed, but uncheck the option to uninstall the drivers.

You will need to bind Left and Right, for button like left and right.
Bind Look Forward to TIR Z axis to get a variable left/right.
I also bound looking Look Back to looking up.

I increased the sensitivity a bit in TIR, and disabled the unused axis.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 06:10:52 PM by Sparky »

Tsume

I want to vote for TrackIR support too. Please Bugbear!  :)
System: AMD FX-8350 | Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | G.Skill Sniper 16 GB 1866 DDR3 | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 | Samsung 830 SSD | Win 10 64-Bit
Input: Logitech G27, XBox One Controller, TrackIR 5
Output: Optoma HD33 3D-Projector, Onkyo TX-SR608 AV-Receiver, Teufel Concept E Magnum PE 7.1 Speakers