Author Topic: Update 2016-04-20: Modding Support!  (Read 11055 times)

Team Bugbear

We’re back with a bang and you read it right: the latest update to Wreckfest adds an official vehicle modding support for both single and multiplayer, something that obviously many of you have requested to make Wreckfest an even more thrilling, unique experience. A recipe for awesomeness!

We’re providing you all the tools you need to export your vehicle model from Autodesk 3ds Max and then set it up correctly. The provided TGA to BMAP texture compiler can be used for other modding purposes as well, not just for vehicles. Be aware that since this is the first time ever that mods are officially support by the game it’s very likely that there will be quite a few hiccups along the way to make Wreckfest a robust platform for modding. Please also note that many things will still change and there is no guarantee that your mod will not break in a future update (or every update!).

To create a new mod first you should create a folder under “mods” that will contain your mod data. You can name the folder as you wish, for example ‘mods/MikesPowerMod’, ‘mods/SamsVehiclePack’, and so on are all valid names. You can create as many mod folders as you wish, so it’s definitely a good idea to create an own folder for each mod. The mod folders should have the same structure as the game’s main data folder (so first subfolder will be ‘data’), but only contain edited or new files. After you’ve created your car, you can enable in in the in-game mod manager found in the garage and it will appear in the in-game marketplace (price can be set to 0).

More instructions can be found in the game’s ‘tools’ folder.

Things to note:

• Provided tools allow exporting car models from 3ds Max and converting them to the game’s format.
  • TGA to BMAP texture compiler is also provided for texture modding.
  • Use the included BagEdit editor to modify car's parts and parameters and create completely new parts like custom engines and gearboxes.
  • An example Wwise project and a guide for creating your own vehicle sounds can be found in tools/wreckfest_vehicle_audio_tools.zip.
  • Mod cars give no rewards and are not allowed on leaderboards.
  • You should not edit stuff inside the original ‘data’ folder, rather copy the files you want to edit to your mod folder.
  • Multiplayer requires that server and clients have the same mods enabled (though some things like car skins are excluded as before).
  • Dedicated server can also require mods by configuring mods=some_mod,other_mod.

Other changes and new stuff in the update:

• Parts no longer wear in multiplayer. As a consequence, multiplayer gives no crew experience and much less money reward.
  • Multiplayer now offers “rental cars” which cost nothing but also give no rewards at all.
  • You can now view server’s welcome message before joining, in the server browser. Feel free to list your required mods there.
  • You can now bring your favorite car to the front of the list by clicking the star icon.
  • Added lobby context menu options to show Steam profile page and open Steam chat for selected player.
  • Fixed Asian 1 shadow.
  • Fixed derby scoring sometimes stopping.
  • Fixed incorrectly set aero drag/torque.

As always, thanks for sticking with us!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 04:33:12 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »
Team Bugbear, April 20, 2016, 03:53:00 PM Logged

• The Very End

Great! Downloading now, thanks :)
    Any plans on implementing custom tracks too / support for that?

Edit: It says "other mods too", does that mean track support????? :O
    « Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 03:59:48 PM by The Very End »

Antsaboy

This is so cool! Downloading now. I'm sure the modders will be very happy about this
    Intel Core i5 4670K @4.0GHz / Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti Boost / 8 GB RAM / Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit / Logitech Driving Force GT

Majatek

Oh man, I'd love to join in and have fun - unfortunately my surge board fried itself and took out my GPU.

Good to see that Wreckfest is still getting updated! :)
    YouTube - Twitter

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPbRnpxjmm8

Having problems with purchasing NCG? Contact support@bugbear.fi

I moderate forums & break games

CrashsTestsFr

Hurray !
    Type : Laptop MSI GT70
    CPU : i7-4700MQ
    GPU : nVidia GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5 + Intel Integrated GPU
    RAM : 8GB DDR3 (4GB * 2)
    Controller : Xbox360 pad or G27

Tgrooms

Any support for custom engines in the Bag program. If so can someone explain how to use it?

TheyLiveWeSleep

Owh nice! Being able to mod will make a game live long and you guys picked one proper date here 4-20 can it get any better :P :P your probably high right now

Jake97

Great news :)

St. Jimmy

Care to say more about valid characters in the mod name? Can it be mods\Jimmy's Car or mods\Jimmys Car  ?

Or does it need to be with _ and ' etc. marks aren't allowed? Also if it would be nice if _ is converted as a blank space when reading the mod name in game or something.
    Join WreckFest Discord server!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz cooled by CoolerMaster Hyper 212 evo
    GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    RipjawsX 2x8GB 2133 MHz
    Chieftec 750W
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Fanatec CSR (Forza) Wheel

TPEHAK

Woohoo!
    LAPTOP GIGABYTE P35X V3 || INTEL CORE i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHZ ||NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980M  8GB GDDR5|| 16GB RAM || 103GB SSD || 1TB HDD || WINDOWS 10 HOME

Finsku

I'll test modding my 3d car right now! Thanks BB!!

EDIT: Okay, it wasn't that easy. I think I have to make new model...

Total parts in this example car: 78

All parts

All parts with physics  :P
    « Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:11:33 PM by Finsku »

Daystar

Yay! Thanks Janne! downloading now... and really cool that we got this update on 4:20 haha!!! cannot wait to make some cars! wooot!!!

Janne Suur-Näkki

Tgrooms
    Yes, you can create custom engines and actually ANY part with BagEditor, a custom version of the in-inhouse tool we use. Take a look at the example vehicle to get you going.

The Very End
    We're still working on the track modding support to make the pipeline easier.

St. Jimmy
    I'm actually not sure if spaces are supported because I've never tried using them but it's probably not a good idea use them or any fancy special characters. In any case it's just the name of the folder, your car can be given a proper in-game name in BagEditor.
    INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

Facial_Burns

thank you the steam message and proifle option is really helpful
    My steam group where u can always find some friends on NCG
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WRCserver
    My NCG discord server
    https://discord.gg/010U99akJwUY82yjk

Basic pc specs:
    16gb ram
    Amd athlon FX 8350 8 core
    nividia gtx 970
    gigabte motherboard
    3tb hdd
    windows 8.1 pro

The Very End

Thanks for reply :) Doing some tests on the AI agressiveness. However, what are the absolute values? Is 1 max, since it's allways 0.xx or what? Could be nice knowing what value range some of the settings have.

EITHER WAY, will try it out and see what it does, thanks!