Author Topic: Update 2016-04-20: Modding Support!  (Read 18901 times)

Shortcut

Really digging the latest update news. Now maybe I can try to get this bad boy ingame somehow. I tried to get this working in another game but got frustrated and gave up on it.

HOLY CRAP I WANT THIS CHEVY SOO BAAD!! GIVE IT TOO MEE! :D
Thanks Bugbear for this nice update. Now we can have Brandet Cars and a loooot of more variety of Tracks ;) wrecking original Brandet Cars adds a lot more of nice feeling when demolish them.
Im looking very forward to this!

@ Finsku

Yes I modeled this a long time ago using Modo and Zbrush for texturing. I'm just a hobbyist so I'd be embarrassed to  tell you how many hours I actually have in this. It was all fun hours though.

A lot of it was spent just trying to find accurate reference photos.

Cornkid

Wow , now there's a Chevy is to die for, Pretty much Sex on wheels, Can't see me using any of the others if you can get it in game and release it.

Thats a labour of love, Respect.

Purple44

@ Finsku

Yes I modeled this a long time ago using Modo and Zbrush for texturing. I'm just a hobbyist so I'd be embarrassed to  tell you how many hours I actually have in this. It was all fun hours though.

A lot of it was spent just trying to find accurate reference photos.

I think we should get a petition going and ask Bugbear to but this car in stock Wreckfest so all can race\ derby with this car!!!  :D :D

Janne, Tapio, Tero, what you guys say???
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:24:36 PM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Purple44

I just found some posts by Janne over at the Steam news section. Janne got into a decision with FingersTitan[PCGC]:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/228380/announcements/detail/812147694146348260

FingersTitan[PCGC] Apr 20 @ 10:09am
WOW.. I have loved this game from day 1 and after this update.. I think I am going to uninstal it...
Will you have to download a certain type of car from the mods list before you join the server and so on ??? If that is the case, then that is the WORST idea possible.. Yeah if it had the same kind of players as Assetto, rF2, Automob and the others where there are 1000's playing at the same time.. but THIS ?? You are lucky to have 10 in a server and that will be 1 server in the WHOLE list with 10+ players.. So what you have done now is split up a comunity that is as thin as water in the 1st place.. It's going to be a solo test game now.. Well done.

jannesBB Apr 20 @ 10:44am
@FingersTitan[PCGC] Basically you'll need to have the same mods installed as the server. However it shouldn't be a problem since most hosts won't be changing their mod configuration every single hour. This is pretty much the only viable way to implement multiplayer modding sans client auto-downloading via Steam Workshop or by other means.

FingersTitan[PCGC] Apr 20 @ 11:27am
@jannesBB.. So you are splitting up the very small community then???
You'll log on and have stock servers and mod servers.. I wish the game had 100's log in all the time.. but the truth is.. It doesn't..
I'm not going to log in to the game.. see 5+ players in a server and then download the mod just to game with them.. and that is the problem.. Go on any time and you'll only see 1 or 2 servers populated.. This is WAY WAY WAY too soon.. You needed to get the gamers back in the game 1st.. How many sales v's still installed games??
PS.. jannesBB. I bought 2 copies of the game because I loved the concept of the game.. but I won't be downloading mods for this game.. I have 101 others that do the same thing and tbh better.. Spin Tyres, rF2, Automobilista (Who have racing trucks.) Assetto.. I'll play them for mods.. not this sorry.

jannesBB Apr 20 @ 12:00pm
@FingersTitan[PCGC]: You're of course free to choose, no regrets. But in reality you can have all the mods installed and just activate the ones the server requires before joining. Perhaps in future we can add functionality to make this happen automatically with no user intervention as long as you have the mods installed.

jannesBB Apr 20 @ 12:01pm
@FingersTitan[PCGC]: We know that we need a larger player base, and while looking for ways to achieve it we thought a mod support might be our best ticket at this point, especially since we'd already put quite a bit of effort towards it. You have to remember that the game is already getting old so every day it will become more difficult to attract new audience especially since there's not much we can add to the game that will drastically increase exposure. We're also hopeful that a mod support will not only spark new interest for the game but also give the community something to spend time to while we develop the game. I know you've heard this a million times before but the reality is that we're a small team and things just don't happen overnight.

FingersTitan[PCGC] Apr 20 @ 12:40pm
@jannesBB.. Then you honestly need to think about proper dedi servers then.. If you want modders in, then you honestly need to get proper servers... You'll hit the sim racing market then and you could then think about adding more settings for the racing servers.. Get in contact with the likes of Inside Sim Racing and many of the Sim racing communitys and ask them direct of the kind of things they need to input in to the game and it's only going to be "Race Settings" that they will need to use the game.. If you can add things like a race weekend .. The sim communities will pick this game up in a second..

Also.. Read my review on the game.. It's a 100% yes and I rave about how the game is being developed.
As pure fun racing bashup's go.. This is 2nd to non.. and I hope an unflux comes back to the game on hearing the news of Mods.

jannesBB Apr 20 @ 12:53pm
@FingersTitan[PCGC]: No harm done, on the contrary. Thanks for your thoughtful feedback. We really appreciate everyone who cares about the game enough to give feedback, even if it's sometimes negative -- but in all honesty most of the times there's truth to that as well. Even at the best of times creating a game is a constant struggle with learning to live with trade-offs.

FingersTitan[PCGC] Apr 20 @ 1:15pm
Thank you so much for replying to my comments.. I have been the No1 voice in our community about the game.. Like I said before.. To the point, that I bought one of the members a copy.. I'm just worried about the way this game could go.. As in Live 4 Speed.. An amazing game at the start but with no updates or issues within the company.. It caused it to be left in the background and ppl uninstalled it and only played by a hardcore few.. and still played to this day I think.
I've raced in some private leagues (Race Department, Touring Pro Series) and they are the ones you need to hit.. All the racing games that have mods are run through pvt leagues.. They are the ones who release to the public..

FingersTitan[PCGC] Apr 20 @ 1:16pm
If you go on Assetto, rF2, Automob / Game Stock Car.. You'll see 30 in a server and it's locked.. Then you'll see the same mod on an open server and only see 3 to 5 and maybe a lucky 8 or more... and these are games with 100's online at the same time..
There are 1000's of these communities all over the world and if you can supply what they need (Qually, Rolling or standing starts, Detailed race times and a load of little bits like that.) They will do the rest.. HD mods, Better physics mods and thousands of other mods for the game.. but they are all in PVT racing leagues.. Hit them and BINGO.. This game is what You / Us want.. :)

Nice to hear Janne thoughts. Not sure thou we want Wreckfest to lean to the sim side thou. Some think Wreckfest to simy already! But thanks to the new modding tools, guys are living up the SP!  :o

Collection of various mods (info inside)

With Flatout 2 the Community mod we did for Flatout 2 over at Flatout Joint became a popular mod online and was pretty easy to load:

patch1.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Trackpack1.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Carpack1.bfs
FOJs_Carpack2_and_updates.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Updates2.bfs
FOJ_C_MOD_Carpack3_addon.bfs

I like this post:  :D    October 09, 2010, 03:15:51 PM

I just did a little survey to see which game has more players online, Blur ( little over 4 months old ), GRID ( 2 1/4 years old ) and Flatout 2 ( 4 years old ). I did this survey at about peak online time, Saturday 12:30pm pacific time. A good time to catch EURO and US players online.

Blur 35 players
GRID 154  players ( that rank, non-rank and private and added 5 full 12 players hosts to the count )
Flatout 2 stock: 63 hosts - 189 players
Flatout 2 carpack3: 30 hosts 102 players

Between stock Flatout 2 and our modded Flatout 2 with carpack 3, that's 291 players online. More than Blur and GRID put together. That pretty good for a 4 year old game.

Still waiting for a PM reply from Janne. Have not gotten to talk to Janne since early Feb.

I hope I'm not in the doghouse.

Conte Zero

Really digging the latest update news. Now maybe I can try to get this bad boy ingame somehow. I tried to get this working in another game but got frustrated and gave up on it.

simply awesome, it is a demon
Saippuakivikauppias

I can certainly understand FingersTitan[PCGC]'s point, but I also agree with jannesBB's point as well. Modding has always helped the longevity and popularity of games. Sheesh, people are still playing Skyrim and that game is like what, 100 years old? It's mods that keeps that one going.

I also know that not all mods are created equal. I don't care for mods that would break the "spirit" of the game with ridiculous speeds or floating in low gravity or even driving school buses around. I love the current game and the old classics like the 57 Chevy, 40 Ford Coupe, etc. So to be able to race on a server that had nothing but the old classics would be the beez kneez!

With more and more people playing and creating mods, maybe we'll reach that point.

I just opened up the sample game car in a trial version of 3D Max and said "what thu.....". Now if I can just wrap my head around  what all of this stuff means what what does what, I'll be in good shape

WE NEED A "HOW TO CREATE A CAR MOD"  WIKI!

Sorry for yelling.

St. Jimmy

Some people don't like sim games, some do. BB should do the game what they like and I believe they like to go more for the sim side. Mods can split people a bit but without mods the game can die pretty soon.

But I got to say that WreckFest has been one of the few racing games I can play public.
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

PsychOXRat

I just opened up the sample game car in a trial version of 3D Max and said "what thu.....". Now if I can just wrap my head around  what all of this stuff means what what does what, I'll be in good shape
I thought the same thing when I started, I had renamed each part similar to the example vehicle and worked from there, Collision Spheres need to be inside of the solidbody, which is a capped version of the main body but with a lower polygon count, they drive the damage physics in game. Then you just need to make the textures of the vehicle have the same ID of NCG's material, took me until today to figure out how to make a custom vehicle work in game, now I'm stuck optimising the solidbody and collision spheres which is probably going to take a while for me to do as this is my first ever actual mod xD.
System Specs: Intel i7-7700K CPU, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX970 from GALAX

DD-Indeed

Help! I installed couple mods to the game and now the game won't start anymore. I used the Weathers-mod, Mass-mod and the AI-Grid-mod. AI mod was extracted to multiple folders, one for each car and apparrently one for all of them. I used them all in the game and game prompted the restart, but after I pressed ok, the game didn't start back anymore, nor give any crash/error windows whatsoever. I deleted the mods and verified the game file catche, still didnt' work. Apparrently, the mods are now enabled in the game nevertheless and are giving error, so is there a way to disable them, without starting the game ? Was there a some sort of file to delete, to disable them ?

The Very End

Save mods and career files, then remove some data files and do Steam repair. Worked for me when that happend for me earlier.

Purple44

Save mods and career files, then remove some data files and do Steam repair. Worked for me when that happend for me earlier.

So End, you did not delete any files here [STEAM INSTALLATION FOLDER]/userdata/[USER ID]/228380/local/wreckfest early access? Just backup the career.cres file to be safe?

But deleted all the game files under \data and \mods folders?

The Very End

Well, I only deleted my art folder. Not sure about the others. But just delete all, then use cheat engine to give you money if you delete the profression file :)

DD-Indeed

Attention !

I found the way to repair the game in case if the mods have broken it. Do this:

C:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\[User ID]\228380\local\wreckfest early access

Delete the modlist.mods file from there, so the game starts again without any mods. :)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 01:15:52 PM by DD-Indeed »

RickyB

Attention !
I found the way to repair the game in case if the mods have broken it. Do this:
C:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\[User ID]\228380\local\wreckfest early access
Delete the modlist.mods file from there, so the game starts again without any mods. :)

You can also edit modlist.mods with 'bagedit'   1=activate  /  0=deactivate  a specific mod.