Author Topic: Purple44 custom track WIP page.  (Read 38123 times)

Purple44

Found out today there now auto startpoints in Wreckfest. Here thread where I learn more about auto startpoints and how disable if needed:

GRRR, why don't my custom startpoints don't work anymore??
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:11:14 AM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Purple44

I started a thread about my attempt to do an A to B type track:

Wip - Wreckfest A to B track test

Purple44

I got my first ever A to B type track done today, Mixed 5 A to B. Think off road from one corner of track map to the other corner. Watch out for them rocks and trees! Here a look at the AI sector lines:

Right click > click View Image to see image full size.

And here the video:

Crash77

Great! Love those wide AI lines!

Heddly

Looks like fun. Would be nice to have all obstacles blocking the race track and make one long route using as many paths as possible. Good work Purple.  :D

Heddly

Video reminds me of FO2 Hazard Hollow. That is a classic.

Purple44

Video reminds me of FO2 Hazard Hollow. That is a classic.

Ya we had a lot fun on that Hazard Hollow track online.  :D :D

Unfortunately I got no video of us racing track online. Did not take much video of us racing online with Flatout 2 back in 2006-2009.  :(

Purple44

From Wreckfest discord channel, modding section:

PsychOXRat - Today at 1:28 PM
@Purple44 any tips on making the ai routes?

Well to start off, you going need some tools:

[TOOL] ai route visualizer WIP v0.09

Click Download Here to download v9.0.

I use Mazay's visualizer to check my points. Make sure I did not reverse right and left coordinates or used -144 instead of 144!

Finish up doing the AI sectors and tweaking the AI race line. Now just need to do the checkpoints. Maybe Suicide2 Sandpit 1 track be ready to upload sometime next week for testing.

Doing the AI sectors for this track would been a real bear to do if I did not have Bugbear's track tool. Thanks Bugbear for making doing AI sectors easier and faster than my old way of trial and error!!   :D

Be warned with the new Wreckfest Builds since Dec I think, the showing of checkpoints is all screwed up. I've been in contact with Mazay about this issue, but he been under the weather.

Need to use the in-game tools to get your coordinate numbers for the right and left aisector points. Use the \ key to bring up the in-game tools and after got aisectors showing, use F11 to go free cam and you can see the coordinates of where your cam is on the track map.

T o save me lots of typing, I posted some forum quotes. Give them a read, then checkout my part 2 post. Will walk you through making your first aisector.

Reminder to self, track will load with 3 AI sectors, but when start adding more, 4, 5, 6 etc, game going crash, until you add a proper checkpoint. Only need one to stop game from crashing.

I forgot about having a checkpoint, so wasted a good hour trying get these good AI sectors points to load:

But after finally remembering about needing a checkpoint and some help from Mazay's visualizer tool to get checkpoint into right spot, I finally got my AI sectors points to load.

Working on my newest figure 8 track, Gravel Fig8, I found something that was crashing my new track when race start and cars hit first checkpoint.

These days in my track making, I start out with placing objects first and use a stock file startpoints, AIsectors and checkpoints. After I get most my objects place, then work on startpoints, then do new AI sectors around my new track design, then tweak AI racing route with the in-game Adjust Race Line tool. Then final step is to put down checkpoints and test them to see if they work!

When working on new AI sectors, you need at least one checkpoint or game will crash if there no checkpoints. I delete all the old stock checkpoints and just had the first checkpoint I tweaked with my new coordinates. But my new track started crashing when I started doing my new AI sectors.

It took a bit, but I found out what was crashing game. The old checkpoint had "Is Split Point" enable. This was crashing start of race with only having the 1 checkpoint. I change "Is Split Point" to "0" to disable and race track stop crashing.

Thanks to End post today, I found out where Wreckfest save tcat if there no tcat file in your \mods folder:

TCAT files saved to wrong directionary (and a couple of other things)

When saving files with tweaked AI lines and such, they are saved to data / property / track, and not it's respective folder. The game should save it within the mod, and if no such directionary is found - make on.

Also, when pressing x while in free veiw mode you catapult your car around. I guess that's object spawning mechanism right? How long til we can spawn actually objects with our new tool? ;)

Edit: Also can't edit alternative routes.

Edit2: Now I cannot save any routes at all. I press T as a madman, but the file is not stored anywhere.

Edit3: Allright, so you cannot save when you are in the editor veiw / have editiot veiw open. You MUST be at the page where you alter the racing line to be able to save. That's really not ideal, since you got to remember all the shortcut keys. Reminds me of DOS games back in old days ;p Ok BB - please make it so that pressing T anywere when you have the editor veiw open saves the file. I think a lot of people would do like me - editing stuff, open the menu agian to see what the shortcut key for save is and then press T beliving it would save it.. as it does not since you have to be in the actually editing veiw where you do not have the help menu.

I cheat and took pic of the in-game menu and have pic showing in second monitor show I know what keys to use.

Alternative routes works so ignore that, but still game saves tcat files in bugbear's data / property / track folder and not the mod folder. Also, each time I try to see the cameras from this editor game crashes.

Ah, I thought when I was testing Adjust Race Line today and rename the tcat file in the mods\example\data\track\exampletrack folder and used T key to do a save and I saw no new tcat file, I assume game did not make a save. But I just check data\property\track and see a new tcat file from today.

It seem if Wreckfest find a tcat file in your mod folder, that file will get used for the save. If Wreckfest does not find a tcat file, game make a new one in the stock data\property\track folder.

If working with alt route, be sure to have a tcat file for the custom track you working on, or track going to crash when you or the AI reach where alt route starts:

Sounds like tcat issues. Isn't sandpit01_1 a track in the game? If not, try giving the track a new name, then save a new tcat file for it. Make sure to at least adjust one sector before saving. The issue sounds a lot like what I had and it turned out to solve itself after I adjusted the paths and saved an tcat file.

Thank you, Thank you End!  :)

That did the trick. I made a copy of the sandpit01_1.tcat file I had in my GoKart Plus mod and rename it sandpit1_extreme.tcat, started track and AI car made it pass the alt route checkpoint.  :)

Usually I don't mess with tcat file when making a new custom track until I'm done placing objects, done the aisectors and checkpoints. Now with using alt route, I will have to remember to make a new tact file too. Maybe get main track route down first, then save a tcat, then add alt route and then save tcat again so alt route don't crash.

Select the track you want to tweak ingame, full AI drivers, start game, park your car out of harms way, let AI do their thing,
hit F11, navigate as in Photo Mode, hit \ (backslash) to open menu, menu will tell you wich keys to use to edit and to save.
You can edit the AI routes, the CP's, the SP's and the camera's with this ingame tool.

I got together with Marcellus and got in-game adjusting of race line working.  :)

With the in-game track tool menu up, got to enable both Sector View and Adjust Race Line.

Where I may gone wrong when I tried this before, you need to look around and fine the blinking icon on one of the AI sector lines. You can use the I and K keys to move the blinking icon to the AI sector you want to adjust. Using the J and L keys you can move the race line. But you have to tap the key. If just hold the key down, line will move a tiny bit and that it. Need to keep tapping key to keep moving the race line.

Hitting the T key will save your changes to a tcat file. You will need have a custom tcat file for your mod track before you do a save. The in-game tool will not create a tcat file for you. With no tcat file before opening track, using T key will not save your changes.

Using the Adjust Race Line will save me some time tweaking the AI and I may get the AI to take corners better now in my custom tracks.  :D

The last couple of days, I been working on the checkpoints for Suicide Loops track. It took 22 checkpoints. Would of took a couple more if I did not use the loop checkpoint for 2 of the loops.

It nice to have Mazay ai route visualizer tool when trying to place checkpoints when the AI sector routes overlap on suicide part of track.  :D

Also using Bugbear in-game track tool help a lot in checking to see if checkpoints work. I would place one or two checkpoints at a time, then start the track, enable the in-game checkpoint tool. This tool show the next checkpoint as green, as you pass through it, checkpoint turn blue and next checkpoint turn from white to green.

If I go through checkpoint and it stay green, then I know I have something wrong with checkpoint. Had to fix two the checkpoints I did.

After the last checkpoint turns green, I turn car towards the finish line to see if lap count changes to 2 laps. If all good, then I add another checkpoint or two to check. This way I find a bad checkpoint before I got a whole bunch of checkpoints and don't know which ones bad.

A few times the in-game checkpoint tool went buggy on me and about half the checkpoints turn pink and would not turn green when I was driving through the checkpoints. Had to restart game to get in-game checkpoint tool back to normal.

Note, in the pass, the midpoint of a checkpoint needed to be inside of only 1 aisector. When doing suicide tracks where aisectors overlap, I had to be real careful where I place checkpoint. Not sure if today with final release of Wreckfest, this still holds true for placing checkpoints?

Also loop checkpoints are not used any more. :(  Have to make an alt route going the opposite direction, to now have cars go both ways around a pile of rocks.

Alternative Route and AI, I got Crashes !
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:35:07 AM by Purple44 »

Purple44

Part 2:

OK Psych, I will try and walk you through making a custom aisector.

First to save ya some work, fine a track where you can use some the existing aisectors. Mixed 3 Short Circuit look to be the best track file to use:

And using visualizer, you could delete 11-16 and then start at aisector 10 and start adding in new aisectors.

Will need to go to \data\art\levels\forest\forest05_2 and get a copy of forest05_2.scne track file and drop this file into your \mods track folder you are working with. Then use Bagedit to copy the Airoutes section from forest05_2.scne and paste into the Airoutes section in your track file. Now hopefully it look like this:

Open up Airoutes and scroll down to #10 and delete 11-16 aisectors ( suggest make a copy of track scne file first ). Now select #10 and make a duplicate and then expand #11, this should be a copy of #10. Now need to paste in new coordinate numbers.

To get your new coordinate numbers, need start up Wreckfest. This where it nice to have 2 monitors. One with Wreckfest running and one with Bagedit showing. So go to your custom track and start it and start up the in-game track tool ( key \ )and enable the assectors, before you get to start line:

Now use F11 to go free cam, then go over to where you want you want your first new custom aisector:

Now zoom in with free cam to get your left sector coordinates and type the coordinates into Bagedit:

Then move over to the right and type these coordinates into Bagedit:

Now make a duplicate of #11 and then expand #12 and now pick where you want your next aisector wall in-game. Rinse and repeat.

You don't need a lot of sectors in straightaways, but will need more in the turns. Also keep in mind where you want your checkpoints. Will need an aisector wall where you want the checkpoint.

I try and use checkpoints sparingly. Checkpoints only needed where you don't want a player to cheat your track.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 08:49:20 AM by Purple44 »