Author Topic: 8-o-Rama  (Read 10592 times)

The Very End

Does my version work or does that crash too? Also, the magic is in the track file / folder, not the events file :) Events only let you choose this track from meny, much like updating your music playlist, but the actually file and it's properties is only known when you start it.

Back to the crashes... I know your problem too well, happens me often when I try out things :) I suspect that your altered ovalb file does not point to the correct main file. In the ovalb file, make sure that one of the subscenes points to the modded main file. Also, correct startpoints / ai points need to be in the folder, or hell breaks loose haha!

So, checklist:

1: Make new folder with a new track, call this royaly_fucked or whatever. Have a file in this folder that is named the same, since this is what's read when starting it.
2: Ai paths / starts / waypoints.. Don't remember the names, the important part is that there are some startpoints.
3: In event file, either add a new layout to a track, or increase number of events and add the new track. Look on the other names and paths to see how to write the correct adress, usually every word start with a big letter. Screw this up and it also causes spacetrips :)

Hope this helps, if anything ask!

RickyB

yes, your version works very nice.

In the ovalb file, make sure that one of the subscenes points to the modded main file.

the modded main file? do you mean a modded 'oval1_base.scne'? I thought it was about making changes only in 'oval1b.scne' (which works good), so that 'oval1_base.scne' could remain untouched... = smaller mod filesize.(?)

EDIT: oh. I think I figured it out... somehow :) Thanks! all good
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:16:18 PM by RickyBøbby »

The Very End

Yeah normally not, but since the main differences are in the main file, we need to link them togheter. Also if you study speedway 2 and it's inner oval, you'll see that the road files / the level itself is in the Speedway 2 file while only different startpoints, some objects and race settings are defined in the inner version. So, what I mean, to save space have one main layout, then make different variants that only changes the objects related to those tracks :)

It makes sence? I explain bad, sorry :p
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:56:44 PM by The Very End »

GRabbit

Great Job, mate!

The mod is very nice. I would be intersted if it's possible to add the Ramps of the Tech Demo somehow... or even create own obstacles.
By modifiying the existing maps with obstacles like ramps they get much more fun. Especially with the great physics and deformation we have.

Keep up the good work :)
GTX 1080TI @ 2050mhz - watercooled
i5-4690K@4.9Ghz - watercooled
Logitech G27
16GB Ram

The Very End

Sadly it seems that is not possible. Janne was kind to explain this in a post, I will quote him:
"Objects from the tech demo won't work with the latest build because of compiler changes, they would need to be built again."

Basically, due to technical situations it is not possible...at current time. Who knows what happen later? ;) Also maybe we'll see some object editor / object add support, if so - we can make them ourself.

GRabbit

Sadly it seems that is not possible. Janne was kind to explain this in a post, I will quote him:
"Objects from the tech demo won't work with the latest build because of compiler changes, they would need to be built again."

Basically, due to technical situations it is not possible...at current time. Who knows what happen later? ;) Also maybe we'll see some object editor / object add support, if so - we can make them ourself.

Thanks for the info!
If the community gets the right tools, they'll save alot of work and we will see awesome process :)
GTX 1080TI @ 2050mhz - watercooled
i5-4690K@4.9Ghz - watercooled
Logitech G27
16GB Ram

RickyB

Update v1.1 - see OP :)
After frustrating hours of trying to get better ramps through the transformation matrix, I gave up and build flat stairs instead.
Seems as if the objects loose part of their solidity when trying to transform. Not really usable as ramp atm :/

If anyone knows how to rotate objects without partially loosing solidity (collision boxes?) - info would be very much appreciated.

Also, I wonder if it is possible to generate .scne files with one of BB exporters? simple geometry like a bunch of ramps? If not, maybe a BB dev is in the mood for making some ramp .scne files :D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 05:35:44 PM by RickyBøbby »

Purple44

Ricky, did you try this?

About rotating it around the x- and/or z-axis, in pic below, the orange under line number will angle the object down, Then I cheat and rotate object 180 degree to get object to angle up in the other direction. the green under line number will angle the object to the right or left depending on which way you are looking at object. Then you can cheat and rotate object 180 degree to get object to lean the other direction.

This might not work well with some objects. I'm thinking I should install Blender on my gaming computer and and rotate an object and see if Blender would give me the whole set of 9 numbers. But so far I have not needed to be that accurate in rotating an object yet.

Thanks for the bump Zeb. Today I have some time to work on track. Thank to Heddly finding my orientation file I did for Flatout 1, I can tweak the orientation of objects easier now. :)

0  degrees - North - 12 o'clock
Orientation = {
["x"]={ 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000 },
["y"]={ 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000 },
["z"]={ 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000 } ,

10 degrees 
Orientation = {
["x"]={ 0.984077, 0.000000, -0.173648 },
["y"]={ 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000},
["z"]={ 0.173648, 0.000000, 0.984077 },

22.5 degrees 
Orientation = {
["x"]={ 0.923879, 0.000000, -0.382683 },
["z"]={ 0.382683, 0.000000, 0.923879 },

45 degrees - North-East
Orientation = {
["x"]={ 0.707107, 0.000000, -0.707107 },
["z"]={ 0.707107, 0.000000, 0.707107 },

File attach below.

With these orientation numbers you can spin an object or a car around in a 360 circle direction. There should be enough angles here to get your car or object pointed in the right direction. Remember these angles are like the minute hand on a clock. So picture your car as the minute hand as it move around the clock. The front of your car points to the direction the minute hand points to.

Here two pics how this look in game when spin an object.

This a pic of the 3 objects in Bagedit. Most the track objects are listed under Subscenes. You can use Expand All to see all the details of all the objects. Or just expand one object.

I made a duplicate of barrier object ( 1. ) and then made 2 more duplicates ( 2. & 3. ). I did some testing to see if I could find another number in the set of nine number matrix that would angle the barrier either up or down. I found the top, middle Y coordinate that underline orange, would angle barrier #2 when I change 0.0016 to 0.5. Then I took barrier #3 and change the orientation numbers and spun the angled barrier 180 degrees so angled barrier pointed the opposite way.

I'm thinking I can use the .5 to angle an object to make a ramp out of it, like I did in Flatout 2. You could increase this number or lower the number depend on how steep you want your ramp.

Now time start placing some objects to mark the checkpoints.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

RickyB

Yes, thank you very much for your infos and the Flatout orientation file! The wolfram-aplha link doesn't give me the correct values. somewhere + and - are interchanged.

With changing the numbers you mentioned, objects get distorted, not really rotated, but that's even better for ramps, I thought. But when you drive on them, the solidity ends somewhere before you reach the end of the object - so you fall down. You could still use 'em as ramps, but in this special case I needed a different solution.

Does it work for you? Did you manage to build a correctly working ramp with the rotation value in the top middle?

The Very End

Can't help you with that, just wanted to say your a quick learner ;) Thanks for sharing!

Mazay

Also, I wonder if it is possible to generate .scne files with one of BB exporters? simple geometry like a bunch of ramps? If not, maybe a BB dev is in the mood for making some ramp .scne files :D
I bet we have the tools, just have to figure out how.
Quote from: 3dsmax\BugExporter.ms
   fn IsVehicle p =
   (if(matchPattern p pattern:"*\mods\*\vehicle\*" or matchPattern p pattern:"*/mods/*/vehicle/*") then return true
...I found out BugExporter makes .scne out of car if you rename the vehicle folder with different name.
I exported the solidbody. In first place it just crash game, but after fixing Shader Id to 45 in bagedit it works!:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 09:25:46 PM by Mazay »

Purple44

Yes, thank you very much for your infos and the Flatout orientation file! The wolfram-aplha link doesn't give me the correct values. somewhere + and - are interchanged.

With changing the numbers you mentioned, objects get distorted, not really rotated, but that's even better for ramps, I thought. But when you drive on them, the solidity ends somewhere before you reach the end of the object - so you fall down. You could still use 'em as ramps, but in this special case I needed a different solution.

Does it work for you? Did you manage to build a correctly working ramp with the rotation value in the top middle?

I have not tried using a ramp on track yet. I remember from my Flatout 1 days and trying to rotate objects and weird things would happen to object, like get squish.

That one reason I was so thankful of getting to use Blender Track editor for dealing with objects. Blender would rotate object anyway I wanted and get the orientation numbers correct and object stay normal size. But in Flatout, object were not completely solid, your car can sink into some objects, like a mattress if car going to slow.

But it could be like you said, if the orientation numbers are wrong ( out of whack ), then maybe object loses it integrity. Ricky, is this ramp solid to drive on if don't change the orientation numbers? You can part car on ramp and not sink in?

Also Ricky, you just changing one the angle numbers, top or bottom? Not both, I hope. Or just changing one of the rotate left or right numbers? Either the left one or the right one, not both?

Ricky, what object is that in your pic? The name Wreckfest uses in game folder?

I only see two ramp files in the \objects folder, we need more. I ask back in Oct 2014 for Bugbear to give a good ramp to use for custom tracks:

I'm hoping Bugbear will leave me a ramp object ( that car will not sink into like what happens in Flatout 2 ) off to the side of map, for me to be able to use some day when hopefully we will have a Blender track editor for NCG that will let me move and make copies of objects.  :D

Still holding out hope Bugbear will do a GRID 1 style figure 8 derby track:  :D

Here my plea for GRID 1 type Fig 8 tracks to be included in new game.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 07:15:31 PM by Purple44 »

Update v1.1 - see OP :)
After frustrating hours of trying to get better ramps through the transformation matrix, I gave up and build flat stairs instead.
Seems as if the objects loose part of their solidity when trying to transform. Not really usable as ramp atm :/

If anyone knows how to rotate objects without partially loosing solidity (collision boxes?) - info would be very much appreciated.

I am having the same issue when using an object to make a ramp, by putting only a single value in it skews the model.

This isn't a issue to begin with but when driving on the object your car will sink through.

The question is, is there a way of rotating an object without skewing the model?
Sim Setup: Thrustmaster T300RS - Fanatec Clubsport V2 Pedals - DSD Sequential Shifter - Modified NZKW Simulator - NZKW GT Seat

RickyB

...I found out BugExporter makes .scne out of car if you rename the vehicle folder with different name.
I exported the solidbody. In first place it just crash game, but after fixing Shader Id to 45 in bagedit it works!:

Genius. As always - AmazayING. That looks really promising. Is it safe to drive on? have you tried a ramp? :)
Ricky, is this ramp solid to drive on if don't change the orientation numbers? You can part car on ramp and not sink in?
... what object is that in your pic? The name Wreckfest uses in game folder?
I don't think so. will try. EDIT: tried. car sunk in.
It's the truck I mentioned in your WIP custom Track thread. prop_car_truck.scne It's used as the inner ramps in v1 of big 8 ramptrack. It has this weird sun-roof on the side, which was ok as a small ramp.

Also Ricky, you just changing one the angle numbers, top or bottom? Not both, I hope. Or just changing one of the rotate left or right numbers? Either the left one or the right one, not both?
Yes, I only changed one number at a time. I may be wrong but I think it distorts an object like this... (no guarantee, my memory may be false)

I am having the same issue when using an object to make a ramp, by putting only a single value in it skews the model.
The question is, is there a way of rotating an object without skewing the model?
Good to know I'm not the only one. About rotating without skewing - that was kind of what I meant with
If anyone knows how to rotate objects without partially loosing solidity...
If someone would generate a bunch of ramps .scne files - there would be no need to do that in order to get ramps anymore :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:57:40 PM by RickyBøbby »

Purple44

I tried again to try and find an online "rotation 3d object calculator" with Google and this the closest I got.

http://www.euclideanspace.com/maths/geometry/rotations/conversions/eulerToMatrix/index.htm

This web page show the math and the java code. There a link to page that will run the java code, but my Firefox would not run the app after installing Java. :(