Author Topic: Mod support - when will it be added?  (Read 2594 times)

Majatek

What Bugbear is doing thus far to NCG is pretty awesome, but unfortunately it still feels far too constricting not being able to implement your own vehicles or even tracks.

I have several ideas on paper (and an entire track layout already planned that will have multiple jumps and alternating layouts including a figure-8 option), but with no way of adding them to NCG I'm doomed to keeping my fantasy circuit ideas under wraps for now. This really stifles creativity as I would love to create circuits, arenas and all manners of tracks.

Even if mod support is only implemented for the Sneak Peak tech demo by allowing user-created tracks to be loaded via a track selection menu, at least this would give the community something to work on while the rest of us wait for updates with the pre-alpha.
The positives of allowing user-created tracks for the tech demo include being able to take the best of what the community has to offer and add it to what will be the final game. Before NCG goes from pre-alpha and into the alpha stage (where all of the content is already created and implemented), Bugbear could easily host user-created track competitions where the content that is the most polished will be put into the final game as a reward for the winners. I feel that this would be the best prize. We don't necessarily need prize money. I'm pretty sure that we'd just love to see our own tracks be part of the game.

This would also allow the community to put even more into this project (because thus far all that we can really do is whisper suggestions and help fund the process of creating NCG). Thanks for reading, and good luck with all things NCG, Bugbear Entertainment. :)
YouTube - Twitter

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPbRnpxjmm8

Having problems with purchasing NCG? Contact support@bugbear.fi

I moderate forums & break games

sam223

Im assuming by mod support they will give out something like a 3dsm plugin and maybe something some explanation of how to save encrypted files so the game will read them. You could start modelling now i guess.I am keen to hear what kind of mod support
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Majatek

You could start modelling now i guess.
With no way of knowing what filetypes they use, there's a high possibility that I might end up wasting all my time creating a highly detailed track only to find out that it is incompatible with the ROMU engine. :-\

But yes, I'd love to find out as soon as possible when they're going to add the ability to load custom user-created content (in particular: tracks).
YouTube - Twitter

Adenru

Not earlier than game's official release. Modders, you know, don't even start anything before that for simple reason nobody can tell for sure what will be in final product and what not.

Majatek

Modders, you know, don't even start anything before that for simple reason nobody can tell for sure what will be in final product and what not.
And you know this how? From personal experience modders create content while the game is often far behind the official release window. It's just that they don't finalize anything until the game is finally released.

This is why I would like modding support early for NCG, so that I may figure out what works and what doesn't and get to grips with how the ROMU engine handles its resources so that the final version of the mod (track, car, whatever) is as polished as possible.
YouTube - Twitter

Adenru

What they can do is only make some preparations. Early modding may not end well and all the hard work can be gone. Read about how did Cry of Fear got to steam. It happened to mod of very old game, making something serious for alpha is not wise.

Majatek

Exactly, which is why I said this:
so that I may figure out what works and what doesn't and get to grips with how the ROMU engine handles its resources

*edit*

It also seems to be that everyone's mixing up the terms "pre-alpha" with "alpha". NCG is not in the alpha stage. It will never be in the alpha stage until all of its content has been created and implemented. For all purposes, NCG is still in the pre-alpha stage where Bugbear Entertainment continue to add content to the game. As soon as it goes into alpha stage is when the game is largely finished - but still mostly unplayable due to bugs. Eliminating bugs once the game's content is largely complete is called the "beta" stage, often followed by the "gold" process where the game is released in its most complete form.

So no, it would make sense to add modding support during the alpha stage. Just not during its pre-alpha stage.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:44:51 PM by Majatek »
YouTube - Twitter

Olli Teittinen

With no way of knowing what filetypes they use, there's a high possibility that I might end up wasting all my time creating a highly detailed track only to find out that it is incompatible with the ROMU engine. :-\

But yes, I'd love to find out as soon as possible when they're going to add the ability to load custom user-created content (in particular: tracks).

File types aside, we're not using any special software over here to design or model any of the game assets. All geometry is essentially the same no matter what software it comes from. ;)

John Burning

File types aside, we're not using any special software over here to design or model any of the game assets. All geometry is essentially the same no matter what software it comes from. ;)
Nice!
Will it be real to make custom cars? I mean, make a model in 3Ds Max and then download it in the game.

Majatek

:o

Looks like I'll have to start getting up to scratch with modelling then right away! ;D
YouTube - Twitter

sam223

Nice!
Will it be real to make custom cars? I mean, make a model in 3Ds Max and then download it in the game.
I doubt it will be that simple but by the sounds of it you can start the modelling part
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Purple44

Bugbear has a lot on their plate, so I'm not expecting Bugbear to spend much time on modding support right now. But I do ask Bugbear to keep in mind we do want to mod the game eventually, so any thing they can do to make NCG mod friendly, will be appreciated.

Flatout 2 turn out to be mod friendly after modding community develop some tools. I hope NCG will be as mod friendly as FO2 was or maybe even a little more. :)

As for me, I'm in no hurry to mod NCG. I want to enjoy the game Bugbear give us ( offline and online ) before I look into modding the game.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel