Author Topic: Mod Development Screenshots  (Read 198286 times)

Purple44

Sam gokart is pretty stable out on the track, but it is possible to roll the kart:

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

KillerAJD

Nothing too exciting, but I started work on my next track. Was exploring and finding other objects I could maybe use, and spent awhile converting the default textures so I can possibly use them in future projects (I'm real bad with texturing, so being able to use the ones that Bugbear already made is a godsend). I really wanted some banged up racecars for my last track (and for maybe future use), and saw that these menu cars fit the bill pretty well. Unfortunately, they have no collision (which is easy enough to fake with an invisible box), but also, they have really aggressive LoD, and disappear after around a few hundred feet. I poked around in the files, and didn't see a way to manually increase the LoD transition distance. I'd love to be able to use these though.

Also was playing around with the different surfaces available, a few of them might be useful in the future.

Straby

Sam gokart is pretty stable out on the track, but it is possible to roll the kart:

It,s a Beyblade! Haha
i5 2500, 16GB ram, 850 EVO SSD 250GB, GTX 1060 6GB, Win10 Pro 64Bit, Keyboard

Dalags

@KillerAJD If you make a copy of the .scne file and put it into your own directory, open it with BagEdit and go to: scene-models-(whichever relevant folder(s))-Base Mesh-Meshes, you should find the #lod files, which you can right click on and remove.

KillerAJD

@KillerAJD If you make a copy of the .scne file and put it into your own directory, open it with BagEdit and go to: scene-models-(whichever relevant folder(s))-Base Mesh-Meshes, you should find the #lod files, which you can right click on and remove.

A-ha! I had seen there was an lod tag/mesh, didn't think to just delete it. Thanks for the heads up!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 12:35:14 AM by KillerAJD »

Dalags

Just reversed the above technique to make #lod2 always show, resulting in a noticable performance increase. Will be useful for getting rid of non essential detail on bigger scenes.

Make a copy of the .scne file, give it a new name (to avoid mod clashing), and put it in the desired directory.
Delete the first mesh entry (the main model).
Delete the second mesh entry (#lod1).
In the third mesh entry, remove the '#lod2' suffix from the name field (forcing the #lod2 model to become the main model).

A 30k vertice Hiab model has now gone down to 7k vertices with very few noticable differences at a distance :)

KillerAJD

Just reversed the above technique to make #lod2 always show, resulting in a noticable performance increase. Will be useful for getting rid of non essential detail on bigger scenes.

Make a copy of the .scne file, give it a new name (to avoid mod clashing), and put it in the desired directory.
Delete the first mesh entry (the main model).
Delete the second mesh entry (#lod1).
In the third mesh entry, remove the '#lod2' suffix from the name field (forcing the #lod2 model to become the main model).

A 30k vertice Hiab model has now gone down to 7k vertices with very few noticable differences at a distance :)

Ooh, interesting. May have to go through some of my other stuff and see where I can do this.

KillerAJD

Anybody know if it's possible to use some of the lower LOD versions of the vehicles in the game as background scenery objects? None of the files in the art>objects folder are racecars (only passenger vehicles essentially). That works great for a parking lot, but since the ovals I'm working on are so close to the pits (and sometimes go through it), I'd love to add some racecars to the trailers and pit stalls. I don't care if they're just boxes as far as collision goes. I looked into maybe grabbing some free race car models and adding them myself, but that's a lot of extra work for not that much benefit. If it's possible to just use a lower LOD version of the cars in the game, that'd be perfect.

KillerAJD

Nothing too exciting, but I started work on my next track. Was exploring and finding other objects I could maybe use, and spent awhile converting the default textures so I can possibly use them in future projects (I'm real bad with texturing, so being able to use the ones that Bugbear already made is a godsend). I really wanted some banged up racecars for my last track (and for maybe future use), and saw that these menu cars fit the bill pretty well. Unfortunately, they have no collision (which is easy enough to fake with an invisible box), but also, they have really aggressive LoD, and disappear after around a few hundred feet. I poked around in the files, and didn't see a way to manually increase the LoD transition distance. I'd love to be able to use these though.

Also was playing around with the different surfaces available, a few of them might be useful in the future.

Here's some updates to the next track I'm working on. Currently no foliage/trees, so outside of the track it's fairly bare (and some geometry that is unfinished because of that). I'd like to think I only have a few days left of work before it's done, but it probably won't be done until at least next weekend. Experimenting more with using Bugbear objects, but changing the textures to suit my needs. Lots of stuff that is close enough in size/shape for what I want, but the color of it isn't right, so screw rebuilding the stuff from scratch, haha. Have some interesting ideas for the different variants I want to do for this one as well.

The Very End

Looks really Good! Is it color map work on the road I see? Seems like skidmark, but not through decals but the actual surface.

KillerAJD

Looks really Good! Is it color map work on the road I see? Seems like skidmark, but not through decals but the actual surface.

Thanks! Yeah, but it's just the textures from the example files. Haven't had a chance to make my own yet.

sam223

Karting customisation
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 03:07:43 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

The Very End

Haha looks bloody great! Not too far off those small cross kart things that drives on the rallycross tracks (don't remember their name sadly).

Dalags

Anybody know if it's possible to use some of the lower LOD versions of the vehicles in the game as background scenery objects? None of the files in the art>objects folder are racecars (only passenger vehicles essentially). That works great for a parking lot, but since the ovals I'm working on are so close to the pits (and sometimes go through it), I'd love to add some racecars to the trailers and pit stalls. I don't care if they're just boxes as far as collision goes. I looked into maybe grabbing some free race car models and adding them myself, but that's a lot of extra work for not that much benefit. If it's possible to just use a lower LOD version of the cars in the game, that'd be perfect.
The vehicles don't use .scne files, so I don't think you could use them as background scenery without some reverse engineering.
There are (or were) some .scnes which contained racecars being worked on though, jacked up under tents. No idea of the file name, which tracks they're used on, or if they're still there though!

The Very End

Progress is slow due to the master (school) taking a bit of time nowdays. But I'll try to get some hours done here and there. Changed the concept a bit, now there is a green area at top of the plateau as well as a little city, desert area in the mid and green area transition to ocean at lowest (right side) of the map. Then it is a matter of carving out a route out of it, which should have some sort of indicators to help players undersanding where to go without making it a traditional track. Maybe playing around with some concrete elements and a small crowd area (some cars, tents and some humans) at the checkpoint locations.

Oh, and size is about 4km or so.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:46:14 PM by The Very End »