Author Topic: Call to arms: Help texturing (got texture, models and objects) DD1/DD2 content  (Read 2133 times)

The Very End

Greetings! I had hoped to do much of this alone, as a treat to you great guys of this forum, but sadly I yet again proved myself to be utterly useless! Basically what I have, are all the files related to the MOD to Carmageddon 2 that turns it into DD1/DD2 (even menus). That means max models (or any other models for that matter, can export the ones needed) of both the cars and the tracks with working textures. What happend is that the textures are saved as TIF format, and when trying to use the bgo3 file to create a scne file the program refuseses to do so since it demands tga immage files.. That means that the textures need to be added as tga files. I have converted the files to tga, and for one of the tracks I re-linked all textures from the tif files to tga, but then ofc - have to map them to the object again which I am so bad at.

So, people of this great place! You want to put your hands and heads togheter and texture / imports these into Wreckfest? I will help with what I can (basically little.. but I do know some very, very basic Blender + max exporting, and getting the scne files to actually launch in - game).

Here is the files we have currently, each subfolder has a max file and all the textures attached. If you open the max files the textures are mapped, but then again, bgo3 to scne exporter refuses tif immages.

The person who original created this was Harmalarn (Harm Sollie), and he has given permissions to use and distribute this as we like, just as long as he get's named in the credits. Kudos to him for the work!

Edit: I have not yet attached the files to this post, but if someone desides to take this on and help me, I'll link them here :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:19:22 PM by The Very End »

Devin

You seem to do something wrong because changing the texture can't change the maps :P You can send me the files (models as .fbx) and I can do everything in blender, including material properties like dirt and tarmac. But I have not yet worked on tracks at all, and at the moment I don't have time for that, but I can then send you a finished .blend file or the compiled object if you want :D

Just keep in mind that it might take a few days, I have lots of work to do :P

The Very End

What you mean by changing track? :p What I mean is that all the modells have textures, but these textures are in TIF format and not TGA = bg03 to scne convertion impossible :P The tracks are the same nevertheless, but as far as I can tell there is no easy way to change the textures.

If only..IF ONLY that darned game would allow something else than TGA files when making scne files the problem could be solved :P
Either way, here are all the files: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=73835756271541812218
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:05:48 PM by The Very End »

Devin

Actually, you change them in just one click, it can't get any easier since the textures have nothing to do with the mapping at all :P That only happens if there's something wrong with the object's materials

The Very End

Ehhh.... luls? If that's the case, then it should be like..uhm a 30 minute job? Rofl... oh my god... So, what you say, if I have a texture X and map it on object X all smooth and nice, then I want a other picture on object X. Then I just link in image Y and the mapping from X to X stays without messing it up with the new picture? Mind blown!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:10:12 PM by The Very End »

Devin

Yes, because the coordinates aren't saved in the picture obviously :P They're saved in the vertices. 3ds max could reset them when you change a texture, but it doesn't, because it doesn't make any sense :D

The Very End

Well to me it does not make sence ... And I'm a IT student (I could program a Java program that tells you how retarded I am) ..
Are there easy ways doing this? If not I guess I will just have to bruteforce Google >.<

Dummiesman

This should help :)

The Very End

Thanks, I'll take a look on that :)

Axarator

Also, make sure your image resolutions are a power of 2.
Processor: Intel Core i4130 @ 3.40GHz 3.40GHz
Ram: 8Gb
HHD (Where Steam is installed): 2TB HHD
SSD(Where browser and poop is): 111GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX 960 OC Strix edition

The Very End

Oh, what you mean by that?mRight now I struggle to get the texture to load in game, even when shown in editor and saved as tectures in mod/data/art/textures as bmap .... :/ And yes paths fixed.
Maybe that's why? Hmmm... So, should I just by tools expand the picture pixels by two / double size?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 08:24:02 AM by The Very End »

juggermalt

Without knowing exactly what assets you work with, all this is just best guesses. I have no knowledge of how breckfest works, but internally we always convert textures from .tga to .bmap. Also remember that the texture must be power of two, for example 256x256 or 1024x512 or 8192x128 etc. it doesn't have to be square but both dimensions must be power of two (8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 etc.).

The Very End

That's sublime, thanks! I'll take a look and make sure the textures are in right format :)

Edit: Turns ut every texture is in that format - but they are pretty small (under 128, some of them as low as 32 / 32). Will this cause problems?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:45:23 AM by The Very End »

Devin

No, it's still power of 2 and will work just fine. The problem you currently have is the same one as most modders here had with max so far. Try exporting the file to Wreckfest with Blender instead, but even there you'll have to set the correct paths to the textures. You then compile the TGA by drag'n'dropping them onto the build_asset.bat. But they do have to be in the right directory already, because they save their path internally and use it later ingame. If you compile it directly in the tools dir or move it after compiling, it will not work.
If you tell me what you did to put it into the game after compiling, I might give it a try later

The Very End

:) Well, here what I did (it's probally rubbish, but either way):

1: Used a image converter (Total image converter (since it can take as many pictures as you want at same time)) to convert files from .tif to .tga
2: Moved the .tga files to mod/dd2/data/art/textures - also made duplicates and renmamed these manually (such a pain) to .bmap but with same names
3: Opened the max file, whent to assign assets options
4: Changed (set path) on every texture, and linked them togheter with the tga files
5: Exported as prop_derby_ramp1.bgo3 (easier to get fast in game to check), and throwed it into the build_asset = the scne file was created