Author Topic: Destruction Derby  (Read 22024 times)

Purple44

Brilliant, thanks a lot mate. I will test it out tomorrow morning, and if everything goes as plan, release a small update. You will of course be mentioned for the work you have contributef with. What name do you preger to be linked with?

Good, that will give me some time today try get AI to work better on the Deathbowl. Was to busy yesterday to get very far on tweaking the AI.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

The Very End

Oh, you doing that hehe? Great, I am very much glad for all the help I can get. Everything will be credited :)
Btw, I has Sca Ultimate Raceway ready, but no AI. Anyone diggin for work? I cannot get the bugtools for AI to work in my 3ds max :/

simosimo

simosimo is cool, i'll do some high rez logos for the tracks too. I love this stuff!

The Very End

Goodie :) I plan having a go at Black Sails track next most likely, but first those dreaded AI lines :/

The Very End

Sorry double post, but either way:
I am really struggling to get the loading screen picture to work as it should do. I know the size has to be of two and all that, but when trying to use it in a loading screen it just does not work any good no matter what resolution I set it to. Originally the loading screens are in 1920 x 1200 format (from data / menu / textures folder), but it causes a nightmare when trying to get it to convert with asserttools. I have tried saving the file in 2048/2048 (that's what the game has for it's loading screens before resizing), 1024/1024, 2048/1024... well basically any settings I can think of to get it to convert, but it never alligns well in the game.

And ideas?

Tapio Vierros

Sorry double post, but either way:
I am really struggling to get the loading screen picture to work as it should do. I know the size has to be of two and all that, but when trying to use it in a loading screen it just does not work any good no matter what resolution I set it to. Originally the loading screens are in 1920 x 1200 format (from data / menu / textures folder), but it causes a nightmare when trying to get it to convert with asserttools. I have tried saving the file in 2048/2048 (that's what the game has for it's loading screens before resizing), 1024/1024, 2048/1024... well basically any settings I can think of to get it to convert, but it never alligns well in the game.

And ideas?

The loading screen image files should have 2048x2048 physical dimensions, but the picture itself should be 1920x1200 pixels, starting from the top left corner of the file (so there'll be a lot of empty space at the bottom of the file and some on the right side). The file name must also end with _1920x1200_raw.tga. Our loading screens actually contain extra black padding at top/bottom, which helps in handling different aspect ratios.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:05:36 AM by Tapio Vierros »

The Very End

Ahh, I remember back in the days when it was all about slapping the jpeg pictures around ^^
So, if I understand right (language barrier here sorry):

Is it best to save picture as 1920x1200 then force it to dimmension 2048 x 2048, or is it best to save as 2048 x 2048 (square picture) and then thanks to name convention the game would resize it to 1920x1200?

simosimo

No idea sadly man! If you can get a screenshot of how it looks like I can get an idea of where it's being cropped off for you.

Ultra-wide users are special snowflakes, and not many games cater to us :D

The Very End

Simo - both high and width get's messed up hehe :P Well, is there a way you could make a picture that is 2048 x 2048, but the actually picture inside it (the things we see) is 1920 x 1200 (starting from top left corner, no dark spots there)? Then, if I understand right, the picture will have black areas below and on right side of it. When I then convert it and name it right, the game should crop away those dark spots and we'll sit left with the 1920x1200 picture.

Following? :D

Tapio Vierros

To clarify, the images must be power of two sizes so that bimage can pack them into a compressed format. The naming convention tells the game what is the actual size of the image inside, i.e. how to crop the image when rendering. Most images are then not scaled any more (e.g. the thumbnails in the event selection menu), but loading screens are scaled to fit the width of the screen (scaled uniformly, i.e. _not_ stretched to fit the height also). Our loading screens also include some extra black padding at top/bottom to avoid getting the image cropped at wider resolutions.

Purple44

I got do the loading screen for gokart track tonight. I tried first stealing the loading screen from the track example and tweak that one. That did not workout.

So I just started with a blank page in Photoshop at 1920x1200. Painted it black. Took a screenshot of the gokart track. Crop pic and got pic close to the 1920x1200 ratio and paste pic on top my black 1920x1200 canvas. Had to move the track pic higher up the canvas so pic was not to low when game did the loading screen.

Purple44

Sorry End, I tried making AI sector points to stop the AI from driving over the edge at start of derby and was unsuccessful.

I started with this ( I used the startpoint of car #0 to figure out coordinates of the Deathbowl ) :

Then started shorting the AI sectors on the right hand side and then got rid of some sectors.

From what I can tell the sector points don't control the AI like they do in a race, with the raceline. I'm thinking the sector points are mainly for the resetting of the cars.

The AI in the derby seem hell bent on going forward, until they hit something, either a wall or other car. Seem best to use 23 AI so maybe a third of them get turn around before going over the edge.

The Very End

Without dwelling much into it really, I tok a look on the derby version of the example track. It seems like there is safe zones and everything there, but also what seems to be a "meeting" point, or median point or place to go sort of area.. Not sure if you can use anything of that, but it might be worth a shot.

simosimo

Check out the re-worked ultrawide splash screen with faithful car colours!

http://i.imgur.com/l19LSHe.jpg

Here's a square version so you can use it for the Steam workshop page

http://i.imgur.com/MNciGBB.jpg

Here's a 2048x2048 forced image with black bars, hopefully this will be useful too

http://i.imgur.com/6ILbcjH.jpg

Also, is there a way to disable the captchas for forum posts, it get's really tiresome posting here, sorry BB :)

The Very End

That's some great pictures, thanks, I'll try to get them working :)

Oh, hehe, result:

I guess you have to remove the black bar from above the picture :p The width size seems to be about right now tho!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:30:24 PM by The Very End »