Author Topic: Update 2016-05-20: Steam Workshop Support + Track Modding  (Read 8519 times)

Tapio Vierros

however! please listen: I really really want to be able to make my own skyboxes and import them into the game... unfortunately, I still have the public version of the bagedit app  >:( Bummer! maybe in the future you can open up the skybox textures in public bagedit, or perhaps show me a way I can import my own created skies in to the game? thanks for listening, and would like to hear back either PM from Janne or somebody or perhaps release a full version (unrestricted bagedit)ßß?
Skyboxes, like all .bmap textures, aren't really restricted in Community Bag Edit - there simply is no built in image editor as bmaps are not meant to be edited. Create your skyboxes in an image editor and save as TGA, then use bimage.exe to turn them into bmaps. For Photoshop, there's a script that allows automatically exporting to bmap without manually running bimage.

Daystar

however! please listen: I really really want to be able to make my own skyboxes and import them into the game... unfortunately, I still have the public version of the bagedit app  >:( Bummer! maybe in the future you can open up the skybox textures in public bagedit, or perhaps show me a way I can import my own created skies in to the game? thanks for listening, and would like to hear back either PM from Janne or somebody or perhaps release a full version (unrestricted bagedit)ßß?
Skyboxes, like all .bmap textures, aren't really restricted in Community Bag Edit - there simply is no built in image editor as bmaps are not meant to be edited. Create your skyboxes in an image editor and save as TGA, then use bimage.exe to turn them into bmaps. For Photoshop, there's a script that allows automatically exporting to bmap without manually running bimage.

Hey thanks for listening Tapio!  8)

I have no problems creating the sky boxes with my Vue xStream app, however... ehh the puzzling part is where to put my newly created skies?
so lets say for example, I create 15 new skies with my art app (save them as TGA files) -and- have them converted to bmaps, how would I create a new skypack mod?
Thanks for any help you may provide.

Tapio Vierros

I have no problems creating the sky boxes with my Vue xStream app, however... ehh the puzzling part is where to put my newly created skies?
so lets say for example, I create 15 new skies with my art app (save them as TGA files) -and- have them converted to bmaps, how would I create a new skypack mod?
Create data/art/effects/skybox/ folder into your mod and put the textures there. Check the naming convention from the existing skyboxes in Wreckfest data.

Daystar

Create data/art/effects/skybox/ folder into your mod and put the textures there. Check the naming convention from the existing skyboxes in Wreckfest data.

Duly noted! thank you very much!  :D

sam223

The retuned car-to-car collision 'fix' hasn't improved anything at all to my taste I'm afraid. The slidy effect on big impacts makes it feel very unnatural, I think the collisions were way better before this update.
Other than that, good update though!
+1 It seems like there is no forces in collisions. You just continue in the direction you were heading but cannot spin or roll other cars unless excessive force. It results in a lot of sliding down the side of cars
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

RFR_V8Ben

A question about the Steam Workshop : how it possible to authorize ripped mods from other games ?!?  :o

Juste an example... The '69 Dodge Charger is a rip from Forza Motorsport 4 !
The "author" write it "as is" in the description...

So, no problem with licenses? Everyone can rip everything, it's ok on Wreckfest?...

I'm really happy to see Wreckfest is moddable now, it's a good thing.
But if modders would respect the rules, it could prevent prosecution against BugBear from other publishers because they allow everything and anything...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:37:12 PM by RFR_V8Ben »

sam223

A question about the Steam Workshop : how it possible to authorize ripped mods from other games ?!?  :o

Juste an example... The '69 Dodge Charger is a rip from Forza Motorsport 4 !
The "author" rite it in the description...

So, no problem with licenses? Everyone can rip everything, it's ok on Wreckfest?...

I'm really happy to see Wreckfest is moddable now, it's a good thing.
But if modders would respect the rules, it could prevent prosecution against BugBear from other publishers because they allow everything and anything...
Im sure its down the the creator and not bugbear,they have no affiliation with anyone who produces custom content. I doubt the companies would sue aswell,because these are hobbyists,not for profit. If they did,they might aswell contact Ford and every other car manufacturer and take everyone to court for misrepresentation of their car models,without permission :)
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad

Janne Suur-Näkki

Please note:

IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COPYRIGHTED CONTENT

While we at Bugbear Entertainment love to see all kinds of content in our games we respect the intellectual property rights of other content creators and we ask the same from our community. Converting content from other games and submitting it to Steam Workshop without permission is not only unfair towards the original creators but also an copyright infringement that may lead to criminal prosecution, liability claims and your account being banned permanently. Converting and sharing copyright content is therefore strictly prohibited without an express permission from the copyright owner. If you think the usage rights of the original content allow such conversions, please supply a link to the original license.

Please also use a moment to read this: http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/1335568846541784343

From: https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussions/-1/357286663694635065/?appid=228380
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

sam223

Please note:

IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COPYRIGHTED CONTENT

While we at Bugbear Entertainment love to see all kinds of content in our games we respect the intellectual property rights of other content creators and we ask the same from our community. Converting content from other games and submitting it to Steam Workshop without permission is not only unfair towards the original creators but also an copyright infringement that may lead to criminal prosecution, liability claims and your account being banned permanently. Converting and sharing copyright content is therefore strictly prohibited without an express permission from the copyright owner. If you think the usage rights of the original content allow such conversions, please supply a link to the original license.

Please also use a moment to read this: http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/1335568846541784343

From: https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussions/-1/357286663694635065/?appid=228380

Good Job for clearing that up, any input on the car to car collisions Janne.What was changed? and can we change it back?

Devin

I find it funny how that actually has to be made clear. Like, who just steals stuff from other games and doesn't know that's copyright infringement? At least ask for permissions first before using other people's work in any way. This goes to all modders out there  ;)

The Very End

Well, so what I'm I suposed to do then? I have gotten a permissions from a guy who made a mod back in 2010, which is a modification from a game from 1996.
Sue me.

PsychOXRat

Welp, that's the end of modding for me pretty much, had a few ideas lined up, but the only way I can get them is by having to infringe on copyright, and I have very little modelling skill, my last mod is going to be a wheelie bin, then I'm done
System Specs: AMD FX-6300 CPU, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX970 from GALAX

Janne Suur-Näkki

If you have a permission from the original content author, then you have nothing to worry about.

And just the fact that you cannot 'borrow' copyrighted content doesn't mean it's the end of modding. There's a lot of free to use content around and if you find something cool someone else has created you can always seek a permission to use the said content. In many cases you will get a permission as long as you credit the original author.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

The Very End

How are the copyright laws of old material? And what if I have gotten permission to use material from one person, that later turns out to be copyrighted (the other person did the first violation), are we both screwed?
And how would I go about, to ask a 1996 studio for permission for using inspired 3ds max modells based on their original design?

Janne Suur-Näkki

It's a bit of a gray line but inspired is different to using ripped content, and while I'm no lawyer I'd say it's fine just as long your mod doesn't contain any ripped assets.