Author Topic: Update 2016-05-25  (Read 11145 times)

RickyB

... the effect of the impact on a car that takes a "T-bone" style hit feels a bit too much (...) Basically, the car absorbing the hit seems to suddenly go into a parrallel dimension that has ~ 60/70% gravity.

I was thinking kind of the same thing. It almost seems as if the impact force gets transferred almost completely to the car that got hit (like billiard balls) - usually I would think a part of the force would cause deformation (=absorbed by both cars bodys) resulting in a little less force to throw around the car that got hit. Maybe a little less billiard ball effect would feel somehow more realistic?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 06:57:47 PM by RickyBøbby »

KingOfTheCakes

Much better than last fix, but now the AI are too easy to spin and push around, especially with the American 3, haha! They feel like they have no weight on my bumper and very little effort is needed to spin them, even the Sedans have this problem. I like how they try to bump me around now, but because they feel so weightless it doesn't phase me, in fact they usually spin themselves out when they try it. Personally, I liked the spin psychics and weightiness of the AI a few hotfixes back, this area didn't need re-tuning imo.

I'm liking the aggression and pacing though, that is welcomed! It's reminding me of the early days of NCG again!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 03:34:11 PM by KingOfTheCakes »
Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50 ghz
AMD Radeon R9 270x Sapphire GPU
8gb Ram DDR2
Corsair 750w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit OS

Jerry055

Good to see the game going to it's former self more or less, impact and collisions feel way better again, for AI I'd say, if before this update spinning an opponent factor was 1/10 and after this update it's a 10/10, for the most realistic feel you could screw it back a bit to let's say a 7/10. Collisions with other online players is spot on! Like the new way the AI races aswell.

This update on it's own maybe looks small, but it is a quite big one (in the right direction) in my eyes.
Everything can happen in banger racing, and it usually does!

Gerty

I was wrong about handling. It seems now you have to find right combination of parts what suits you on particular track. Wich is interesting. And possibly I was locking the tires braking too late & too hard (is lockups simulated in wreckfest?)
I will do further testing.
AMD FX-8320 | 8gb RAM | Nvidia Geforce GTX970 |  Windows 10 Pro x64 | Logitech G27

Mopower

I agree about cars being a bit too heavily impacted in collision, but it beats coming to a dead stop and realistically at 40+ mph, shit's gonna move
i like to honk to make my worse air
This is why we can't have nice things.

hande11

I personally have to say that the game really seems to become better and better with every update. But the latest one gave me so much understeer, it just feels horrible. The rear tires feel like they're glued to the ground, I don't even get wheelspin at the start of a race on Gravel 1 anymore. The fronts however just slide all over the place. No matter how hard I turn, I either have to make the car slide or I will go straight. Well, making the car slide when the rear wheels feel like they're stuck to the ground doesn't quite work. Also, once I began sliding, I usually had to correct the slide a bit, but then the front wheels instantly caught grip and sent my car off the road into the wrong direction. Not even formula 1 cars react so dramatically on that. It feels like an arcade racer with full driving aids on, even when I turned them off, made for people who can't drive. I seriously wish that the next update fixes this. After all, should anyone have trouble driving the cars, what are the driving aids for? Turn them on, end of problems :P

tl;dr
Overall, the cars felt like I was running with max driving aids on. They just didn't do what I wanted. And they had horrible understeer. I had to drift do even drive through corners at a decent speed, but drifting is hard because once the drift is not perfect, you'll either go sideways and just stop or you try to correct it and go into the other direction instead. Not drifting enough will make the car snap back into "non-drift-mode" (which is weird because I'm pretty sure the way ROMU's physics are set up doesn't differ between anything like that), making the car go straight. It's just so hard to drive...

As a keyboard player, i'm still forced preferring my very weird setup for tarmac to get less grip on tarmac and more oversteer. Had very short test on gravel with this build with standard tyres and other standard parts (AM1), and i feel the same: too much grip. I practically need to use handbrake on gravel track on almost every turn, to get car rear end initiate sliding, no matter the speed and "keyboarding the wheel" to the extreme sides (lame to say, using kb here, which is not cool). With using handbrake on turns, then beautiful sliding physics actually kick in and i can get car sliding as i expected it to behave. Also doing scandinavian flick will help, i can *sometimes* initiate with it car losing grip in turns and going into beautiful slide mode that game already has to offer (...if only you can get into it somehow). But flick is damn hard to do in race!

Would like to see losing grip in gravel and sand only having lot of speed and very agressively turning the wheel to extreme position and using throttle on strategic parts on turns. Imagine ice track (have raced it few times in real life), have a grip somewhere between ice and tarmac..and there you have gravel and sand. So yes from here too for possibility to have less grip and more oversteer to initiate beautiful sliding physics game already has (hidden)! I try to stay away from understeer, when ever i can (when not trying to drive too competitevely) :D, but ok if other like it too. Damn, i totally missed previous update, so cannot say anything about it's driving feel. Onto testing more.. and not forgetting Axarator's drifting mod

Otherwise, good work BB and great build!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:38:49 PM by hande11 »
i5 2500K, 8GB RAMDDR3 1600, Win7 64-bit
GTX 560 DCII TOP, 1GB GDDR5, Controller: keyboard (current generic powersliding biased test setup)
Elwood: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration.. don't fail me now!"

Raindog

Love the fact that there was an update only one day after I bought the game! I like that AI is more agressive, but I would prefer the impact and collissions to be toned down just a bit, maybe something between the previous version and the new update. As far as I'm concerned cars can get wrecked a bit more easily too, it's so weird to have half a car racing around the track at full speed.

Also, at the top corner it shows what place you are driving in. It would be cool if, when a car gets wrecked, the number in the top corner decreases with one. Sorry if I'm not making sence, I'm having some trouble explaining it in English. So when a car get's wrecked, you're no longer 5/24 but 5/23.

Facial_Burns

I personally have to say that the game really seems to become better and better with every update. But the latest one gave me so much understeer, it just feels horrible. The rear tires feel like they're glued to the ground, I don't even get wheelspin at the start of a race on Gravel 1 anymore. The fronts however just slide all over the place. No matter how hard I turn, I either have to make the car slide or I will go straight. Well, making the car slide when the rear wheels feel like they're stuck to the ground doesn't quite work. Also, once I began sliding, I usually had to correct the slide a bit, but then the front wheels instantly caught grip and sent my car off the road into the wrong direction. Not even formula 1 cars react so dramatically on that. It feels like an arcade racer with full driving aids on, even when I turned them off, made for people who can't drive. I seriously wish that the next update fixes this. After all, should anyone have trouble driving the cars, what are the driving aids for? Turn them on, end of problems :P

tl;dr
Overall, the cars felt like I was running with max driving aids on. They just didn't do what I wanted. And they had horrible understeer. I had to drift do even drive through corners at a decent speed, but drifting is hard because once the drift is not perfect, you'll either go sideways and just stop or you try to correct it and go into the other direction instead. Not drifting enough will make the car snap back into "non-drift-mode" (which is weird because I'm pretty sure the way ROMU's physics are set up doesn't differ between anything like that), making the car go straight. It's just so hard to drive...

As a keyboard player, i'm still forced preferring my very weird setup for tarmac to get less grip on tarmac and more oversteer. Had very short test on gravel with this build with standard tyres and other standard parts (AM1), and i feel the same: too much grip. I practically need to use handbrake on gravel track on almost every turn, to get car rear end initiate sliding, no matter the speed and "keyboarding the wheel" to the extreme sides. With using handbrake on turns, then beautiful sliding physics actually kick in and i can get car sliding as i expected it to behave. Also doing scandinavian flick will help, i can *sometimes* initiate with it car losing grip in turns and going into beautiful slide mode that game already has to offer (...if only you can get into it somehow). But flick is damn hard to do in race!

Would like to see losing grip in gravel and sand only having lot of speed and very agressively turning the wheel to extreme position (lame to say anything about driving feel with kb, yes!) and using throttle on strategic parts on turns. Imagine ice track (have raced it few times in real life), have a grip somewhere between ice and tarmac..and there you have gravel and sand. So yes from here too for possibility to have less grip and more oversteer to initiate beautiful sliding physics game already has (hidden)! I try to stay away from understeer, when ever i can (when not trying to drive too competitevely) :D, but ok if other like it too
(onto testing more.. and not forgetting Axarator's drifting mod!). Damn, i totally missed previous update, so cannot say anything about it's driving feel.

Otherwise, good work BB and great build!

I dont know if this is weird but im a wheel user and drive am1 locked diff and on all tracks i use handbrake on nearly every corner i dont see that as a big deal, its the fastest way i find
My steam group where u can always find some friends on NCG
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WRCserver
My NCG discord server
https://discord.gg/010U99akJwUY82yjk

Basic pc specs:
16gb ram
Amd athlon FX 8350 8 core
nividia gtx 970
gigabte motherboard
3tb hdd
windows 8.1 pro

Devin

I've done more testing on tarmac now. Conclusion: No matter what, the cars understeer. So much that it's just ruining the fun entirely. Except for when I go full throttle. But then, I go to fast and which makes me go straight again instead of making the corners. So, I can choose: Going straight every corner or using the handbrake to go sideways, sliding too much and stopping, or even worse, not sliding enough, randomly snapping back into my 'lane' and go straight off the track again. It feels so unnatural and weird. No car would behave like this and after playing online with a few others, it slowly became clear that we all felt the same. I seriously wish that the cars become less under- and oversteering. Right now, they are doing both at the same time. It's just weird.

This problem existed ever since build 7, but it became worse and worse in recent updates. This makes it much harder when driving with a keyboard too, because one does not simply drift with a keyboard without losing the rear. Also, constantly having to use the handbrake isn't fun either. Is it possible to work on that for the next update? I really don't care for any other changes right now, I only want the cars to be more drivable and realistic again. And I'm surely not the only one who wants that.

Any chance we might get less understeery physics in the next update? I don't wanna try to make that into a mod because that would lock out everyone from our server who hasn't installed it while also causing to ignore our laptimes for the leaderboards obviously. I also feel like it's not something I could easily change with a mod. Having front tires actually have different grip when having the car's weight on the front is usually something that's hardcoded (or not) in the engine. Anyway, I don't really care if it's hardcoded or not, I just wish the next update would fix that :P
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:22:43 AM by Devin »

sam223

I sounds like a advanced control options problem devin. Maybe you need more speed sensitive steering with keyboard, so you turn less until under heavy braking?
Brake heavy then turn in
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

TPEHAK

I like the new collision physics and lightweight opponents cars, it is more forgivable and now and I can ride and ram opponents more aggressively and do not care about loosing control or speed.
LAPTOP GIGABYTE P35X V3 || INTEL CORE i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHZ ||NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980M  8GB GDDR5|| 16GB RAM || 103GB SSD || 1TB HDD || WINDOWS 10 HOME

hande11

I sounds like a advanced control options problem devin. Maybe you need more speed sensitive steering with keyboard, so you turn less until under heavy braking?
Brake heavy then turn in
That was good advice from Sam. To help rapid counter-steering, Speed sensitivity -setting is essential to change from default. With kb i have it in +85%. That can tackle your oversteering problem, giving control to counter steering. With kb, perhaps stability control to half to start with.
Saturation: 100% (default)
Steering Sensitivity: 100%  (default)
Speed sensitivity +85%
... and if you have too much of that damn grip, try bad condition 0/100 standard tires on tarmac to get less grip for back wheels. (does not work well for gravel + sand though, grrr..)  ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:39:23 AM by hande11 »
i5 2500K, 8GB RAMDDR3 1600, Win7 64-bit
GTX 560 DCII TOP, 1GB GDDR5, Controller: keyboard (current generic powersliding biased test setup)
Elwood: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration.. don't fail me now!"

Devin

Brake heavy then turn in
You don't quite understand - a car shouldn't behave so weird in the first place. Of course, with certain settings you may make it less undrivable. But it's still bad and just wrong. Even with a steering wheel, it's just weird. I have never had to turn my wheel the full 900 degrees into a direction for EACH CORNER just to get through it. It's nothing that has to do with these settings, the physics is just wrong. And trust me on that, I've tried every setting and all the other leaderboard top drivers I have asked say exactly the same, so it's not just me  ;D

sam223

Brake heavy then turn in
You don't quite understand - a car shouldn't behave so weird in the first place. Of course, with certain settings you may make it less undrivable. But it's still bad and just wrong. Even with a steering wheel, it's just weird. I have never had to turn my wheel the full 900 degrees into a direction for EACH CORNER just to get through it. It's nothing that has to do with these settings, the physics is just wrong. And trust me on that, I've tried every setting and all the other leaderboard top drivers I have asked say exactly the same, so it's not just me  ;D
Maybe it is not just you,doesnt mean multiple people have a strange setup though. Or maybe its just broken for certain inputs. I think it handles nice with pad,especially using rally (soft) suspension, you can feel it skating around under heavy braking and the weights moving,nice and loose. I barely steer,just steer with the rear and balance grip,never using the handbrake.

As i said maybe you are turning too much,you should never need to use 900 degrees,unless turning on the spot at low speed. 300-350 degree should be enough,with braking of course. Remember with speed steering limit it wont turn to match what you are steering,itll only turn based on speed. So 100+mph (with 100% limiter) at 900 degrees is probably only 100 degrees max.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 03:03:41 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

basti4655

The physics are now so much fun and spectacular in derby, pls never change it!
I7-6700K, GTX 770, 8Gb Ram, Win 10 64bit