Author Topic: Blend map problem  (Read 457 times)

Dalags

Hi all,
On my name_blend_c map I have a solid blue (0,0,255) area. However in Wreckfest, there are patches of textures assigned to the red and green channels showing through.

1. In Wreckfest - Note the small tiling patch of grass on the dark gravel texture

2. Textures used for each channel

3. Blend map

-
I replaced the textures used with solid red, green and blue textures, just for a test, and the colours didn't mix or overlay with each other ingame:
4. Same area as image 1 in Wreckfest, with textures replaced

Textures can evidently be turned on/off according to blend maps. But how can I prevent textures from being blended together?
Can anyone more experienced shed some light on what's going on?
Thanks in advance,
Mark

The Very End

If I get it right the vlue area got some red spots thst shine through?
Tried to just go over the blend maø again and paint the blue areas?
Splatmaps / blend maps are interesting :D

Edit: Did you apply the splatmap first then added a second alpha channel and assigned the textures with tiling right?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:29:16 PM by The Very End »

St. Jimmy

I can't help much but one thing that came in my mind. Have you tried that you assign all the colors with that dark gravel texture to see if there's something still coming through? Just to confirm that if that happens then there's some other like default texture coming through.
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Dalags

@TVE
Yes you understand correctly, some red or green (grass texture) shows through the blue (dark gravel texture).
I've gone over the areas many times with blue paint, it's definitley perfect blue. It's exactly R0,G0,B255. When the blue channel is isolated, it's exactly R255,G255,B255 white.
My material set up is like this:

UV channel 1 is planar mapped, and fits inside the 0-1 UV space (for the 3 textures, tiling is set in the material editor)
UV channel 2 is planar mapped, and fits inside the 0-1 UV space (for the blend map, no tiling)
As instructed by this post: http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,9229.msg90650.html#msg90650
There are no alpha channels, apart from on the _ns textures.

@St. Jimmy
Painting the entire blend map blue (gravel), with the same material setup as above, did indeed cause the grass texture to show up.

It does feel like a default texture is being prioritised, maybe Red>Green>Blue? I'll swap the channels around and report back.
Edit:
Swapping the red and blue channels around didn't do anything, same result as before with grass patches on the gravel.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 05:01:49 PM by Dalags »

The Very End

Thanks for info.
Allright, these steps should not have any effect, but try them either way:
1: Xform and UVMap reset the object itself
2: Assign the splatmap only to the object, do a unwrap uv and chose to add a second UV channel
3: Add the 3 textures to the material, and do not tile them what so ever, just add them

Now, does the same thing happen?

Dalags

I made a clone of the geometry, then:
Removed the materials.
Reset XForm with the Transform Toolbox.
Reset the UV map with just a planar map.
Assigned the blend map to the object.
Added an Unwrap UV modifier, so I could add a second channel.
By default, the blend map was on the Diffuse Color slot, so I moved this to the Ambient Color slot and added the three textures to their relevant slots.
I named the material test#blend, to enable blending in Wreckfest.
In Wreckfest, due to no tiling it was hard to tell if it was still happening, so I changed the blend map to all blue, and the grass still showed through the gravel in (seemingly) random places.

To rule out the geometry being a problem, I applied the same technique to a plane (with an all blue blend map), and it had grass showing through too.

sam223

I dont know much about blend maps. But are you sure there's no transparency/alpha on that grey texture?
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Dalags

Spot on Sam, there was an alpha channel hiding in the gravel texture. Can't believe it was something as simple as that, this problem has had me perplexed for a couple of weeks. Dread to think how many hours I've spent making changes to see if it made any difference.
Thanks a lot for the replies everyone!  :)

Alpha channel deleted:

The Very End

Great Sam managed to sort it out! :)
In a perfect world the splatmaps should be supported by 4 colors, or 3 + alpha, as most exported splatmaps from tools and programs uses 3 colors and a alpha...but alas, for now only 3 colors works on splatmaps. Funny thing tho, clutter maps / clutter support 3 channels and a alpha channel, but if your not going to use clutter - don't botter, that is another chapter :D

sam223

Easily done,glad you sorted it.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2