Author Topic: 40 Classic WIP  (Read 19945 times)

tolliverj

is this car going to be a race car or a rusty beater?

MamieNova

@Dr. Destructo by Hazbro

The 40's Ford is looking pretty cool man. I know you probably don't take requests but, how about '63 Ford Falcon Futura (North American, First Generation) next?

phooey, the only good futura car is a 64 lincoln futura. =D
Words are ones' power and others' last resort.
----
Asus X99 Deluxe, 6-cores i7-5930k@3.5Ghz,
DDR4 16GB@3.2Ghz, Poseidon GTX980,
Windows 10 x64
----
alternate :  Asus ROG G750JX-T4279H
----
Shameless boasting ^^ :
- Thermaltake Level 10 Titanium Edition
- Harman Kardon GLA-55

Zebulon55

Thanks
This is the standard 1940 Ford coupe, not the deluxe version. I think the standard version looks better than the Deluxe because the grill to me is a little over the top.
The only thing I'm not certain of is the firewall. I'm pretty sure it is the correct one though I've seen countersunk versions available. The countersunk version makes me think of the Willys coupe. I like the Willys, but I hate the way the interior is designed because it looks like a small box with no protruding dash and longer leg room.

The 40 Ford coupe was always a favorite among race car drivers and was used a lot by moonshiners because you could fit a whole elephant in the trunk lol.

Got working suicide doors?  8)

Love the 57 Chevy, and this looks good, too.

It'd be nice to have a few of the shiner's cars and a revenuer's car and tracks that recall the woods of the Carolinas (with a still hidden somewhere) as well as the sandy beach at Daytona.  ;D
Dell Inspiron 17 7720 with Nvidia GT650 graphics. Keyboard control.

Lame, I know.

Ving

I was hoping this is the one you'd do next, as per your mention in the Steam conversation regarding the 57.  ;)

Looks great so far man!

Thanks for the kudo's guys

@Trocketman88
I like the old Ford Falcon, but I never liked the grille. It's kinda like putting a mustache on the Mona Lisa lol. If I did make a car in the 60's, I would much more prefer the 1967 Pontiac GTO Hardtop Coupe

@tolliverj
I haven't completely made up my mind on that yet, but I do love the old rusty look.

@Zebulon55
It will have the stock working doors. I had the same thought as well like maybe having a police version of the 40 Ford chasing moonshiners through the hills.
Maybe someone could code the game so that every jug of moonshine that doesn't get broken by the end of the race gets 10 points for their team lol

Ving

Thanks for the kudo's guys

@Trocketman88
I like the old Ford Falcon, but I never liked the grille. It's kinda like putting a mustache on the Mona Lisa lol. If I did make a car in the 60's, I would much more prefer the 1967 Pontiac GTO Hardtop Coupe

67 GTO would be nice! (Although I'm looking forward to this 40 probably even more, hehehehe)

I've been hoping for a full sized 'long-trunk' Muscle addition to the grid, theres alot to choose from in that department; 69 Chevelle, chevy 2, early impala's, 67 charger, Various Olds, Buicks (Starliner is sweet) etc

BUT I'd say, follow your muse; do whatever inspires you, it'll be more fun  while doing it, and will likely come out best, as you'll be inspired to get it 'just right' rather than feeling like its a chore (speaking from some amateur art experience; when your doing what you like it often shows)

Anyway, after that 57 and seeing these early 40 pics, i'm looking forward to whatever ya come up with. Stuff looks great!!

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:15:35 PM by Ving »

Ving

Oh also, has a 49 Mercury ever crossed your mind?

Just thinking about the older stuff, would make a nice trifecta w/ the 40 and the 57... Kinda the same era and would fill out a grid of the three kinda nicely...

Just a thought... hehehe - couldnt help myself, carry-on, forget my rambling, heh!

Zebulon55

Oh also, has a 49 Mercury ever crossed your mind?

Just thinking about the older stuff, would make a nice trifecta w/ the 40 and the 57... Kinda the same era and would fill out a grid of the three kinda nicely...

Just a thought... hehehe - couldnt help myself, carry-on, forget my rambling, heh!

Hell, yeah!  That'd go along with Junior's 40 Ford! We already have the Black T/A skin! Bruce Springsteen would approve!  8)

"James Dean in that Mercury '49
Junior Johnson runnin' thru the woods of Caroline
Even Burt Reynolds in that black Trans-Am
All gonna meet down at the Cadillac Ranch"

-That's where I got the "woods of the Carolinas" line in my earlier post. :-[

Lame, I know.

Ah the o'l 49 Merc lead sled. That thing would rule in demo derbies.

A car like that looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to model. It's pretty popular so finding blueprints and reference material shouldn't be difficult either.
Check out these tools:

https://www.blender.org/
https://www.gimp.org/downloads/
https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/non-commercial/mari-non-commercial/
http://www.smcars.net/

Everything you need to model and texture and wont cost you a dime. That free version of Mari is pretty cool too. I'm a bit long in the tooth, but if I had these tools years ago I would have been modeling and modding my butt off. Give it a shot and see what you all can do. The more modders we have making cars the better.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 06:38:03 AM by Dr. Destructo by Hazbro »

Zebulon55

I'm a bit long in the tooth too. I can do a lot in the Gimp, but as for blender, I've played with it a bit in the last few weeks, but it's quite daunting. 
Actually, I was looking to do tracks; maybe I should try to import a model car.

Lame, I know.

Daystar

And 2 other tools you cannot work without! Ambition & Drive... without those, you are basically lost!                                                             

Ving

Ah the o'l 49 Merc lead sled. That thing would rule in demo derbies.

A car like that looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to model. It's pretty popular so finding blueprints and reference material shouldn't be difficult either.
Check out these tools:

https://www.blender.org/
https://www.gimp.org/downloads/
https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/non-commercial/mari-non-commercial/
http://www.smcars.net/

Everything you need to model and texture and wont cost you a dime. That free version of Mari is pretty cool too. I'm a bit long in the tooth, but if I had these tools years ago I would have been modeling and modding my butt off. Give it a shot and see what you all can do. The more modders we have making cars the better.

I might be game on that too, there was a time in my life that I was lets say exploring a career 'in the arts' and, Ive always wanted to do some modeling.

Do you need a high end rig for model rendering though? Years ago I remember you did, and my current machine is a bit of an oldy.

Always wanted to do some cars, hmm I'll take a look at the software see if its even doable - tnx for teh links btw!!

Most of those programs should be ok, but Mari might be a different story as it tends to be a resource hog. It's not necessary to use it, but if you can it really helps a lot. Just start off with something simple and work your way up from there. The Blender forum has plenty of tutorials and so does youtube. Watch a few to see their workflow. Some people like to patch model and some box model. I prefer box modeling.

I'm just a self-taught hobbyist myself so I just consider my career as a professional piddler. Just be patient and learn one step at a time.

Time for another update. Finished the doors and roughing in the interior. Fender headlight cutouts, trunk lid opening, and door jam is completed. Beginning the interior bracing as of now then after that the dash and pedals etc. It's by no means perfect, but I'm trying to be as accurate as I can.

Ya know, as I've been modeling this thing I've come to realize that as much as I would love to have one of these things in real life, I would be too freakin scared to drive it! There is literally nothing to these cars at all. All you have between you and the guy running into you is one piece of sheet metal....that's it
No inner reinforcement or double walled sheet metal or anything. Now I know why this car is so light. Modern cars may have no class or personality like these older cars, but at least they're safer in an accident. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:40:58 AM by Dr. Destructo by Hazbro »

HansPremium

can't wait for this to be in the game