Author Topic: Update 2016-06-23  (Read 22873 times)

Team Bugbear

We’re happy to let you all know that the latest update is out! The update contains quite a few improvements, major and minor alike, but the main feature of the update is the new track Sandpit 3 offering high-speed racing through the forested hilly scenery, something that will probably bring back sweet memories of a certain well-known racing game of yesteryear. We love it, and we hope that you too will! In addition to Sandpit 3 the update also adds a Figure 8 layout for Speedway 8, since let’s face it – Figure 8 is like the bread and butter of demolition racing games, and those never get old.

Other than that, we’ve implemented the basics of the our new, more tactical damage system. Vehicles now have chassis health and armor, the latter being visualized with the previously used sector triangles. Think of them as outer panels of the car: the better the condition of the armor the more incoming damage it absorbs, and when the armor condition drops to zero (black), all damage will go directly to lower chassis health. From now on the vehicle is only totaled when chassis health drops to zero. To help you better pick targets the health bars are also now visualized next to the player name in HUD. In future, we will extend the system so that various components such as the suspension of the car can fail.

IMPORTANT!

If the game fails to launch after updating, please launch the game with "-disable_mods" command line parameter. To do so, right click on the game name in the Steam library, click on Properties, then Set Launch Options, type -disable_mods and click OK.

Please find the full changelog here:

• Added a new track Sandpit 3 with two layouts (short and long) in both normal and reverse variants.
  • Added a new Figure 8 layout for Speedway 2.
  • Implemented the basics of the new damage system.
  • Health bars are now displayed in the HUD.
  • The vehicle with more speed and mass now has more advantage in collisions, paving way for a more tactical gameplay.
  • Improved Sandpit 2 and Mixed 1 level art.
  • Fixed Sandpit 2 checkpoints.
  • Improved AI racing line in a number of tracks.
  • Improved AI start/racing logic.
  • Reduced AI aggression towards the player.
  • It’s now slightly more difficult to bump the AI off the track.
  • Improved clutter loading speed.
  • Improved gamepad controller.
  • Improved reflection and vehicle paint shader.
  • Fixed a bug with the game being unable to start if more than ten mods have been enabled at some point.
  • Weathers are now scanned similar to tracks, vehicles and parts, so multiple weather mods can co-exist.
  • BagEditor now shows files under Art folder too.

As always, we’re looking forward to your feedback!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:51:53 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »
Team Bugbear, June 23, 2016, 05:56:41 PM Logged

• The Very End

Shiny! Thanks!

Edit: crossspath and proxy checkpoints logic works now right? If so please also update track readme file :)
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:13:36 PM by The Very End »

Facial_Burns

Thanks guys :) great to have something too keep us occupied while ye go for holidays XD
    My steam group where u can always find some friends on NCG
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WRCserver
    My NCG discord server
    https://discord.gg/010U99akJwUY82yjk

Basic pc specs:
    16gb ram
    Amd athlon FX 8350 8 core
    nividia gtx 970
    gigabte motherboard
    3tb hdd
    windows 8.1 pro

Janne Suur-Näkki

Enjoy! :) Not sure about the holidays yet, we'll see.
    INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

Devin

I really like the new weather loading thing, really helps with a bug I was facing when I made the rainbow road :D

Definitely have to try the new sandpit and take a look at the new damage system. Sounds good so far. I just hope this doesn't mean that the game will focus less on racing than on crashing in the future because as long as there is a racing game mode, having some intact racing will always be important :P

Janne Suur-Näkki

No worries, racing will be equally important to us. What we were really thinking is that since the game portrays demolition racing and derbying we really need to try harder to implement at least some sense to our damage system. What we've had this far has been way too haphazard from the gameplay design perspective. We like the fact that now it's much easier for the player to understand what to actually do (mainly who to hit and, if there's time to see the opponent car, where, and of course when not to take hits themselves). With the upcoming component system we're mainly looking to add more immersion the game so there will be some tangible feedback when the vehicle is damaged, of course also helping the player better understand the cause and effect of their gameplay performance.
    INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

kickstart

And no clutch binding...  :-\ :'(

Jake97

Game now crashes on start up for me :( Have about 5 mods installed do you think that's the problem?? Was working just fine before it updated

Facial_Burns

some people have had this type <disable_mods> in the launch options
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:50:26 PM by Facial_Burns »
    My NCG discord server

Basic pc specs:
    16gb ram
    nividia gtx 970
    gigabte motherboard
    3tb hdd
    windows 8.1 pro

Facial_Burns

every update is hell for me, i have to delete the game every update and re download as i will just 'validate' for ever unless i delete and reinstall, then i have 2 copy and paste the folder 6 times for all my servers  :'( :'( :'( :'(
    My NCG discord server

Basic pc specs:
    16gb ram
    nividia gtx 970
    gigabte motherboard
    3tb hdd
    windows 8.1 pro

Janne Suur-Näkki

That's weird, but it seems like your not the only one. Are you running a lot of mods?

Facial_Burns

That's weird, but it seems like your not the only one. Are you running a lot of mods?

none, i delete and now it reads a disk write error once it finished the 5.7GB
    My NCG discord server

Basic pc specs:
    16gb ram
    nividia gtx 970
    gigabte motherboard
    3tb hdd
    windows 8.1 pro

Devin

No worries, racing will be equally important to us. What we were really thinking is that since the game portrays demolition racing and derbying we really need to try harder to implement at least some sense to our damage system. What we've had this far has been way too haphazard from the gameplay design perspective. We like the fact that now it's much easier for the player to understand what to actually do (mainly who to hit and, if there's time to see the opponent car, where, and of course when not to take hits themselves). With the upcoming component system we're mainly looking to add more immersion the game so there will be some tangible feedback when the vehicle is damaged, of course also helping the player better understand the cause and effect of their gameplay performance.

This is absolutely true, I noticed that right away. I really like it!

The new sandpit is quite fast, pretty long and tons of fun to race on! The cross section could cause some race servers to avoid it though :( And when I got slightly off "track" (which can be determined by the small seam where the road joins the non-road surface), my car just slowed down, even if it both was the same kind of dirt. The way the dirt off track is banked is really inviting to take the corners really tight, but the slowdown takes the fun out of it. Is it possible to change that in future updates? I don't want to promote cutting at all, but cutters wouldn't be slowed down in the current state anyway :P
    Also, even that little jump doesn't work with the way the cars' aero is set up right now. They just bounce off the ground and flip all the time. Makes it hard to properly race on it, but I really love the track itself :P Reminded me of the old days of FlatOut as soon as I saw the weird fence with the barrels on the asphalt-to-dirt section. I love it!

I noticed that you didn't really change the cars' physics. I tried the AM1 and it still suffered from so much understeer that I could barely turn. This still seems to be the aero problem, since the cars still all fail to make jumps and it worked both fine with the Build6 Physics mod. Is that going to be changed at some point? I know that we could just keep on using mods to achieve that, but having some servers run on a mod and also disabling leaderboards for non-broken physics (because it is a mod) just takes the fun out of the game for many racers and many serious players :P

The game is making progress. Good progress. Awesome progress. The damage system feels good and you really damn know what a good track looks like :D

Btw, I already found a few bugs, might report them in the next days :P

EDIT: @burns I know that the validation takes a long time, it once took me more than 10 minutes. Are you sure it's not progressing at all? Sounds like a weird problem to me. Also, how much space is left on your hard drive?

Janne Suur-Näkki

Burns, I've actually had that happen to me too -- I think it happens when the Steam Workshop goes somehow out-of-sync with your game.

Have you tried deleting Steam/SteamApps/workshop/content/228380?
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 07:10:33 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »

Facial_Burns

Burns, I've actually had that happen to me too -- I think it happens when the Steam Workshop goes somehow out-of-sync with your game.

Have you tried deleting Steam/SteamApps/workshop/content/228380?

ahhh thank you janne that folder is missing now, i have copies of it made when i was helping someone with their server a while ago so will i just paste that copy in?

and devin over 2tb on both of my hdd's
    My NCG discord server

Basic pc specs:
    16gb ram
    nividia gtx 970
    gigabte motherboard
    3tb hdd
    windows 8.1 pro