Author Topic: Full Minimap vs Partial Minimap  (Read 1298 times)

UsF

I am a big fan of FO1 full minimap that showed the whole course and everyones position on it. It gave a feeling of being able to learn the track just from looking at it, knowing where to go and a feeling of a "greater thing". The partial minimap, the one that only showed you what is nearby in FO2/UC was good for "in the moment" feeling. You did not need to know the track either, but it was hard to know what was going on during the race, so it felt more like an arcade experience than an actual race.

I think the benefits of the FO1 style map should at least make a comeback as an option if not a default one. It would be greatly appreciated. I think the FO2/UC style of minimap was also introduced to hide the fact how the AI was sticking around the player in singleplayer to give a good feeling during the whole driving experience. While that might be fun, I just think that the older version of having an actual race with actual performance will help the game in the end, force the AI to be rather smart and in the end also cause the multiplayer races to be balance the maps around the idea of people being spread out and at different locations rather than in one big pack. The full map would then help to make sure you knew what was going on.

RacerBest

I like to see the whole track in the minimap.

crashkid3000

One fact: If you use the "full map", the developer can't include (the very annoying) rubber band AI because you would notice it on the mini map if a enemy's car drives +300 mph to catch up or brake down to 1 mph that you can catch up.

And: If you have long race tracks, it is easier to figure out where you are with a full mini map than with a partial one.
... enjoys wrecking other cars

CPU: Intel i5 4460 (4 cores @ 3.2 GHz)
GPU: Gígabyte Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 2 * 8GB DDR3-1600

JANTSUU

One fact: If you use the "full map", the developer can't include (the very annoying) rubber band AI because you would notice it on the mini map if a enemy's car drives +300 mph to catch up or brake down to 1 mph that you can catch up.

And: If you have long race tracks, it is easier to figure out where you are with a full mini map than with a partial one.
I don't think that would be a problem. Rubber band effect is never that obvious. It's probalbly about +/-30% extra speed for AI.

Things like this should be optional. I always turn minimap off in driving games. All I need is the split times between car behind and in front of me.

Purple44

Grrr, lost my post because forum time me out, have to redo post. :(

I would like to have full minimap, especially in figure 8 races where I'm trying to time a T-bone hit at the crossing.  :)

In the Community Mod for Flatout 2, we added the option to have full minimap, either medium or large size. Bugbear welcome to use our code.

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel