Author Topic: How to make custom car model functional in NCG? (Blender)  (Read 4006 times)

Mazay

How do you guys do UV mapping exactly? Smart UV Project from Blender just gives me messy result in-game (even though, in Blender, the car looks how I want it to be).

Sometimes I set up seams and unwrap, sometimes use the smart unwrap. Then andjust in uv editor. Hit L to select all linked faces, and G and R and S for moving.

But if it's okay in blender and messy ingame probably something else is wrong. If you see sawtooth on textures, that's normal map issues (_n.bmap). If textures are wild and change colors, wreckfest didn't find textures at all.

Check the _n and _s maps too. You can find empty maps for testing from data\art\textures\default_n.bmap

TheEngiGuy

How do you guys do UV mapping exactly? Smart UV Project from Blender just gives me messy result in-game (even though, in Blender, the car looks how I want it to be).

Sometimes I set up seams and unwrap, sometimes use the smart unwrap. Then andjust in uv editor. Hit L to select all linked faces, and G and R and S for moving.

But if it's okay in blender and messy ingame probably something else is wrong. If you see sawtooth on textures, that's normal map issues (_n.bmap). If textures are wild and change colors, wreckfest didn't find textures at all.

Check the _n and _s maps too. You can find empty maps for testing from data\art\textures\default_n.bmap

Thanks for the tip. Textures look much smoother and cleaner with the default bmaps, at least it might be easier to find a solution now: tt's like the game messes up the UV map so bad. Bumpers are supposed to be black, headlights white/yellow and so on.

This is how it looks in Blender, (even when importing its meshes into the original body.blend from the game and applying them to #car_body)

This is the UV map generated with Smart UV project and baked from the car's materials.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 09:05:27 PM by TheEngiGuy »

sam223

Looks like the problem is your UV mapping. It might look ok in blender because it it not actually showing the texture.Iinstead just material colour properties. In game there are no material colours,only the texture.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

TheEngiGuy

Sorry guys, but I'm pretty new to this stuff and your help is very much appreciated! Anyway, we're getting there now...

I can probably fix that messy black paint (overlapping UV maybe?), but for now here's how it looks.
This is the UV map:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 09:14:44 PM by TheEngiGuy »

Mazay

Yeah seems like overlapping UV. It's probably that wreckfest loads same image texture on all surfaces while you mapped them as they were separate textures.  Resizing uv maps so that they don't overlap should work.

I did bit googling how to do that. In UV/Image editor select View Menu > Draw Other objects, Now select multiple objects and go to edit mode.  You do see all UV maps at once so you can better scale and position them.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:54:14 PM by Mazay »

Paul_B

Well did n't think I'd see that on the same page a Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag banger an a Fiat Pander !
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:48:53 AM by pben1 »
Intel Xeon quad v3-1220@3.1ghz/ASUS Z97-A
Nvida GTX 1060 6gb/16gb HyperX ram/Windows 10/ Thrustmaster TX Leather Wheel/ Thrustmaster  T3PA Pedals / Logitech G27 Shift