Author Topic: Update 2016-07-29  (Read 13104 times)

Team Bugbear

Untitled-13

Here we go – the latest update for Wreckfest is out!

As always the update contains a host of important fixes and improvements based on the feedback we’re received, but without any doubt the highlights of this update are the new Mixed 3 track as well as badass folk-racing inspired version of the European 3 car, as pictured in the title image. Being a low-tier beater version of European 3 car, this new car offers you a first glimpse of how the career of the game will work, with players starting from the bottom and working their way up to better events with better cars.

Other than that we’ve made an effort to improve the new health system so it should make more sense and support the type of gameplay we want to encourage. We’ve also improved all cars by tweaking the suspension setups, fixing some of the aerodynamic properties, improving gear shift logic as well as tuning the driving assists, and as a result the actual business of racing should feel better no matter what your skill level. And finally, modders now have an ability to finetune AI routes as well as view trackside cameras.

Please find full details below:

• Added a new work-in-progress track, Mixed 3.
  • Added a folk-racing variant of European 3.
  • It now requires heavy hits to cause any damage to the chassis in case the body panels are almost or fully intact.
  • Low to moderate jumps no longer cause damage to the chassis health on landing unless chassis is in critical condition.
  • Health bars now display correct reading also in replays.
  • Improved car cameras and related effects.
  • Improved shifting logic for automatic gearbox.
  • It’s now possible to skip gears when downshifting (i.e. shift directly from 3rd to 1st, for example).
  • Improved Stability and Traction Control assists to make them more useable.
  • Exposed developer track data and trackside camera visualization, racing line adjust tool, and free camera for modded tracks. Use the tilde key ~ (the key below ESC that resembles a squiggly worm) to access the developer menu and F11 to enable free camera.
  • Added an ability to set effects to panel release and unlocking (not used for official cars just yet).
  • Fixed buggy checkpoints on Speedway 1 and Tarmac 2.
  • Improved AI routes on a number of tracks.
  • Fixed rough geometry in the Sandpit 3 intersection causing cars to flip.
  • Added more grass to Sandpit 3.

As always, thanks for your continued support! Any feedback you have, we’d love to hear it.

Untitled-13

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:18:35 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »
Team Bugbear, July 29, 2016, 02:16:52 PM Logged

• Daystar

Woohoo! Right On Janne!!! this is great news to all of us! Thank you so much!  :)                                   ÿ

CrashsTestsFr

Cooool !
    Can't wait to be back home to try it !
    Type : Laptop MSI GT70
    CPU : i7-4700MQ
    GPU : nVidia GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5 + Intel Integrated GPU
    RAM : 8GB DDR3 (4GB * 2)
    Controller : Xbox360 pad or G27

Facial_Burns

Nice, can't wait to get back and try the new track XD

I have to wait till Monday :(
    My steam group where u can always find some friends on NCG
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WRCserver
    My NCG discord server
    https://discord.gg/010U99akJwUY82yjk

Basic pc specs:
    16gb ram
    Amd athlon FX 8350 8 core
    nividia gtx 970
    gigabte motherboard
    3tb hdd
    windows 8.1 pro

The Very End

Great! Thank you, will test it out :)

Edit: Like the banger / folkrace look of the new Euro3(2). The AI does not drive the car however (it's easy to fix for us modders, but still). Like the new route aswell.

When that is said, you need  to start giving names to tracks and cars, it's totally confusing now haha!
    « Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:42:41 PM by The Very End »

leziony

Useful stuff.
    Car looks fine, maybe not beastly, but it probably wasn't designed to be that way, consdering it is going to be early-level car (If not the first one you get).How it rides- we'll see.
    Bout anything else, I'll play, I'll issue an opinon. It seems good though.
    Sometimes to win once, you have to lose many many times.

Janne Suur-Näkki

Yeah, the new car is supposed to be a folk-racing car so there's nothing high-end about it. In this case as well I guess the beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;-)

And true that, proper names is definitely something we should start considering!
    INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

Daystar

Made some screenshots of our cool new track! for the guys that cannot play the new track yet. it is a lot of fun really. Sky in screenshots, is one of my new ones that will be included in my new Skypack which is at 90% completion so far.

Thanks again Janne! testing the track more now!

The Very End

Great, since your around, two fast question:

1: How to get the AI's to drive only one car (not using multiplayer trick here). No matter what I do, it seems random. I managed to the AI class A to work, but B-C-D acts as they feel for. No matter how you chose profiles, career profiles or performance points (giving them AI specifiq parts) - they do as they please haha! Also tried alterting the default file from the lawnmower, but that did not work either. Chance you guys could make a system / file like the default lawn mower default file, that worked with any car written there?

2: The health bar is going in right direction, but it still takes away about 10-20% of my health bar when making big jumps. Now I know they are big so that's ok, but how would I go about alterting only the shield (bar) to last longer - not the damage itself? As seen here I get the shield to last longer, but it also de-tunes the overal damage / deformation. Ideas?
    « Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:09:26 PM by The Very End »

Janne Suur-Näkki

Mike, thanks for sharing the screenshots. Your new sky work looks great as usual!

The Very End, let's see...

1) That should be easy if you keep in mind that every AI driver is a player aicr file in ai/player. To have AI drive only one car you should only need to delete (or move away) all the aicr files than just the one you want to keep and make it point to the vehicle and profile you want to use. I don't think I've ever tested what happens (internally we have a better way to make AI only use one car) if there are no suitable AI players found for the car class you're using, but it's worth a short.

2) That's not easy, mainly because gameplay damage and deform is so tightly knit together so basically whenever you increase the car armor or health it will stay alive longer and have a chance to deform more. Basically you have two options, neither of which is perfect. First is to simply increase the health for the cars, meaning that they will last longer but you've probably noticed by now increasing health doesn't reduce the amount of damage they receive, so as a result they will deform more and become visually deranged. The other option that you might consider is to increase the low threshold for Momentum to HP Damage, basically clamping out hits that fall under the threshold. That's basically how we've now set up the damage, if you look at damage.dset you will notice that for example 100% intact sectors any hit less than 5000 momentum is disregarded.
    INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

KingOfTheCakes

"It’s now possible to skip gears when downshifting (i.e. shift directly from 3rd to 1st, for example)."

YES! Thank you! - I really love the look of the low-class euro too.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MacsrPooGaming
    30,000 subs and going strong!... Somehow.

Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50 ghz
    AMD Radeon R9 270x Sapphire GPU
    8gb Ram DDR2
    Corsair 750w PSU
    Windows 7 64-bit OS

The Very End

Mike, thanks for sharing the screenshots. Your new sky work looks great as usual!

The Very End, let's see...

1) That should be easy if you keep in mind that every AI driver is a player aicr file in ai/player. To have AI drive only one car you should only need to delete (or move away) all the aicr files than just the one you want to keep and make it point to the vehicle and profile you want to use. I don't think I've ever tested what happens (internally we have a better way to make AI only use one car) if there are no suitable AI players found for the car class you're using, but it's worth a short.

2) That's not easy, mainly because gameplay damage and deform is so tightly knit together so basically whenever you increase the car armor or health it will stay alive longer and have a chance to deform more. Basically you have two options, neither of which is perfect. First is to simply increase the health for the cars, meaning that they will last longer but you've probably noticed by now increasing health doesn't reduce the amount of damage they receive, so as a result they will deform more and become visually deranged. The other option that you might consider is to increase the low threshold for Momentum to HP Damage, basically clamping out hits that fall under the threshold. That's basically how we've now set up the damage, if you look at damage.dset you will notice that for example 100% intact sectors any hit less than 5000 momentum is disregarded.

2 - Thanks, I'll take a look on the new file and see what's changed / increase the threshold :)

1 - What is this better way hehe? ;p Well I tried what you said earlier, deleting all AI profiles and only having the profiles linked to the one / several profiles of the car we want to use. But that did not work either :/ Care to take a look on the DD1 mod on workshop to see what's wrong or / giving a hint of what's wrong?

Thanks agian :)

Janne Suur-Näkki

The better way? In the developer build we can freely choose the AI set, so it's easy to make your own. I'm afraid that's disabled for the public build, for the time being at least...

I always forget that you guys are working with modded files whereas we work directly with the main files. So yeah, I can see why deleting the profiles (players) doesn't work since the game will then simply revert to using the vanilla ones in the game's main data folder. Come to think of it, what happens if you make all the players use a car with weird performance index? I mean, first create the player (and the car) that you want to populate all AI drivers with and then make all the rest to point to a car with PP 10 or something like that. At least in theory the players with junk car should not be used.

I can also take a look, no worries :)

The Very End

You are right about the PP. The game populates / makes various AI setups, giving them various PP indexes. The lowest are not used. However, since the PP varies, that means that  the game will overrun me and chose other cars since their PP is higher than the car we want to use is - and there is nothing I can do to prevent that it seems. Even if I give them an engine and 500 PP, some of them will end up having a bit lower points and trigger spawning of other cars.

Is there a chance that 1 - release your way of chosing class, 2 - prevent game to roll back the vanilla files or 3 - simply having an option of some sort to chose AI oponents?
    « Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:00:01 PM by The Very End »

BrianUK

Is it me, or has bumper cam moved upwards? The cam feels really slow now (like when bonnet cam was messed with).

EDIT: It has -

Bumper cam is now on the nose of the bonnet cam. Do you guys change stuff willy nilly because it's fun or something?

I want to say a lot of good things about this update, but this is a mess-up beyond all comprehension. Don't tell me, some invisible players couldn't tell how it worked because it was on the bumper and not the bonnet?

Edit: I will say what I want, alert me to edits in PM, not publicly on the forum. Get some class.
    « Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:41:27 PM by BrianUK »