Author Topic: Weirdly slow loadings when server changes track  (Read 1576 times)

MamieNova

As said in title : my game seems to have a hard time loading the new track (sometimes even leading to timeouts).

It's kind of surprising since I run wreckfest from my C: drive, a samsung evo 850 SSD, on a pretty badass computer.

I have clearly observed that other players load faster than me.

Anyone else having this issue ?

EDIT : starting the game does not feel slow at all, forgot to mention it.
Words are ones' power and others' last resort.
----
Asus X99 Deluxe, 6-cores i7-5930k@3.5Ghz,
DDR4 16GB@3.2Ghz, Poseidon GTX980,
Windows 10 x64
----
alternate :  Asus ROG G750JX-T4279H
----
Shameless boasting ^^ :
- Thermaltake Level 10 Titanium Edition
- Harman Kardon GLA-55

Orbotnive T

Yes, almost exactly the same as you. 1TB SSD- game loads in seconds as well as tracks with 24 cars offline but online is slower than it used to be with an HDD. Almost leading to missing races as you said sometimes. I don't have any answer though

EDIT: Mine's the C drive, yours too? Not that it should explain it just asking to confirm we have the same problem.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 12:58:00 AM by Orbotnive T »

Facial_Burns

slow loading to a next track is a server problem not a player problem from what i understand its the hosts connection to you is what ive been told when i have asked abut this in the past, But it was not BB who told me this just community members
My steam group where u can always find some friends on NCG
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WRCserver
My NCG discord server
https://discord.gg/010U99akJwUY82yjk

Basic pc specs:
16gb ram
Amd athlon FX 8350 8 core
nividia gtx 970
gigabte motherboard
3tb hdd
windows 8.1 pro

Heddly

Now I'm confused. Is this a Host or Dedicated Server problem, or is with both?

I also have my game load from my C: drive which is a Samsung Evo SSD.

Orbotnive T

I had wondered if it was something to do with the server managing everyones load/connections, being different. Perhaps being part of why some are disconnected between tracks also. But I'm not up on all that at all.

Edit again just to clarify, I mean the instant dumping of players not timeouts :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:28:50 AM by Orbotnive T »

Purple44

Seem for awhile now we have had problems with tracks loading to slow. When this happens to the joining player, a race can start before player get track loaded on his side and get timeout of the server and has to rejoin and misses the race.

I have seen tracks load slow as a host and as joining player. Had track take so long that timer almost counted down and had to ready up quick! And the others were ready go like track did not load slow for them. Does not happen a lot, but does happen usually a few times during a long racing session online. Have not paid enough attention to say if it certain tracks that load slow. But as the host, you would think tracks would load right up. But even offline, tracks do take a bit of time to load, that piston get to moving slowwly at times of loading a track.

Just did an offline test of how long it take to load a track for the first time. Started game fresh, started each track then exit track after start of race. Reboot game and did test agian load time were within 1 sec of first test.

Mixed 3  - 39 seconds
Tarmac 3  - 44 seconds
Tarmac 1  - 17 seconds.

Does seem the new tracks load slower, but they are bigger tracks too.

No fast hard drive here, just your standard Western Digital 4 year old HD.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Hoppen

I'm not sure what's causing this, but it only seems to affect some people, I haven't noticed any drop at all in loading times (I have the OS installed on an SSD, and the game installed on a separate SSD).

It does seem to be worst on the new tracks though, Sandpit 3 and Mixed 3, i've noticed that after i've loaded (2-3 seconds), it can take some people up to 30 seconds longer before they've loaded the track.

Edit: Actually, I just had a thought, I don't use any custom skins, are people with slow loading using a lot of custom skins?

For example, Vinny's custom skin pack is 1.4gb, surely that would influence the loading time of tracks? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=698346497
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:34:30 AM by Hoppen »
Xeon e3-1231v3, 16GB, GTX 970, Win10 64bit, Xbox 360 Pad

MamieNova

I don't have any skins at all.

I will try moving the game back to my standard non C: non SSD where my other games are installed to see if it goes back to "normal". Probably not tonight though.
Words are ones' power and others' last resort.
----
Asus X99 Deluxe, 6-cores i7-5930k@3.5Ghz,
DDR4 16GB@3.2Ghz, Poseidon GTX980,
Windows 10 x64
----
alternate :  Asus ROG G750JX-T4279H
----
Shameless boasting ^^ :
- Thermaltake Level 10 Titanium Edition
- Harman Kardon GLA-55

Purple44

For example, Vinny's custom skin pack is 1.4gb, surely that would influence the loading time of tracks? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=698346497

I don't use Vin skin pack online, but I do use a custom skin mod folder that load some custom purple skins and my driver skins. That only a few files. But if it were custom skins slowing loading times, then it should effect all tracks?

Spaceface

Horrible load times here as well, for the sandpit 2, 3 and mixed 3 tracks. Running game off SSD. Of course Hoppen says his loads in a few  seconds, I don't get it. I figure it must come down to CPU, but the game could use better optimization as well. Online/Offline, doesn't seem to matter. No mods, even tried deleting my wf career profile, thought maybe having too many parts affected it, no difference.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 05:50:58 AM by Spaceface »
Computer Specs:
CPU: 3570K @ 4.2 Ghz
GPU: Gigabyte G1 1070
RAM: TEAM DDR3 16GB 2400 Mhz
SOUND: Soundblaster Z
MOBO: ASROCK Z77 EXTREME 4
SSD 1: OS on OCZ-VERTEX3 120 Gb
SSD 2: Games on MUSHKIN 480 Gb

Orbotnive T

Hoppen has the game on a seperate ssd to windows, though, unless you are too space and didn't mention. I have skin packs, but do not use them online.

Mazay

I ran test, also SSD here. To begin with I set texture quality to lowest and opponents to 0.

Tarmac 1 with grass: 7 s, without 3 s
Mixed 3 with grass: 28 s, without 3 s!

Purple44

I ran test, also SSD here. To begin with I set texture quality to lowest and opponents to 0.

Tarmac 1 with grass: 7 s, without 3 s
Mixed 3 with grass: 28 s, without 3 s!

Redid my test with tweaked grass setting:

Tarmac 3 with grass Ultra  44 sec, low  26 sec, no grass 13 sec.
Mixed 3 with grass Ultra  39 sec, low  17 sec, no grass 13 sec.
Tarmac 1 with grass Ultra  17 sec, low  16 sec, no grass 13 sec.

Does seem grass can have a major effect on load times on some tracks.

My normal graphic settings for online, got to have my grass!

Hoppen

So it looks like they need to look into the grass then, was good to narrow that down.

I have it off because I can't run ultra and keep above 60 fps at all times, and at low, the grass has too much pop in on tracks like tarmac1 and gravel.
Xeon e3-1231v3, 16GB, GTX 970, Win10 64bit, Xbox 360 Pad

Purple44

Bump to make sure Janne see this thread today. 

I lost over half my lobby twice Saturday night when I loaded Mixed 3 and Sandpit 3 because the grass issues. Players time out before host ( me ) got the track loaded after changing the track.  :(

One fix for now, would be the game should give at least 60 seconds to load a new track before timing players out.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 11:53:07 AM by Purple44 »